• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1. Get job.
2. Get loan to buy car.
3. Work yo arse off to pay for car.
4. Gain good work ethic, responsibility and start to build good credit.

You should only need to taxi them for a week or 2.

One of the million reasons I don't have kids!

Kat:
You're not old enough to be an antique, but you definitely are a classic.

That should be the defining notion for what to do.

...but I'm not your type Midlife! :shee

I was doing some searching about YOM plates in TX and ran across this..

As of September 1, 2011, no new applications for the use of YOM plates under Classic registration will be accepted.

Customers who currently have YOM plates with Classic registration will be "grand fathered" and may continue to use the YOM plates on their vehicle as long as they renew them. If the customer does not renew within 60 days of expiration, the plates will fall out of the system and can no longer be used on the vehicle. The customer would have to apply for department issued Classic plates, Personalized Classic plates, or regular plates.

Another change effective September 1, 2011 with Classic registration and plates is that the $15 fee will no longer be collected. Only regular registration will apply.

This law change only effects vehicles with Classic registration. Vehicles with Antique registration may continue to use YOM plates and new applications will still be accepted.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... TN.504.htm

So if I want to go YOM, I have until Sept 1st to do it.

"Kats66Pny" said:
...but I'm not your type Midlife! :shee

I was doing some searching about YOM plates in TX and ran across this..

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... TN.504.htm

So if I want to go YOM, I have until Sept 1st to do it.

Thanks for the quote. I recently received a renewal notice on my YOM plates that said I owed no money but that it would cancel in 60 days if not renewed. I went to the county and they said I was paid up through 2013 and they didn't know why I received the renewal notice. I said I didn't want to be cancelled--they said they couldn't renew it because I was already paid up. Looks like more telephone calls and another trip. :shrug

1381.gif

I wonder if they are going to do away with classic all together. If they are changing it so those with classic plates have the same rules as antique , then what's the point of having both? :shrug

That is what happened in Utah....You have a choice regular registration with YOM or standard plates or Vintage/antique.

Mel

I run a personalized classic plate. Save yourself 450.00 dollars and go antique.

I was told I did not need a state inspection. Never been stopped or harassed about it.

I'm running a repop 1969 inspection.

soccer, football, this and that...making it possible for them to be self-sufficient in the area of transportation is AWESOME. Plus, you can send them out to get stuff for you.
AMEN brutha!!

"silverblueBP" said:
1. Get job.
2. Get loan to buy car.
3. Work yo arse off to pay for car.
4. Gain good work ethic, responsibility and start to build good credit.

You should only need to taxi them for a week or 2.

One of the million reasons I don't have kids!
yeah....

"Sluggo" said:
I run a personalized classic plate. Save yourself 450.00 dollars and go antique.

I was told I did not need a state inspection. Never been stopped or harassed about it.

I'm running a repop 1969 inspection.

$450?? I thought it's like $40 for personalized classic plates plus the registration fee?

How often do you drive it though? I plan on driving Gertrude to and from work... grocery store...car club meets. Pretty much every day if I can.

With the new upcoming rules, I' m still confused on how an officer is suppose to know the difference (without pulling you over) if you're running classic or antique if YOM plates will be grandfathered in. Inspection sticker or no sticker on the windshield? :shrug

Listen to Sluggo. Go with antique. If you obey the law, no one should mess with you. In addition to parades and car shows, antique plates allow you to take the car to get worked on. If you get stopped, just tell them you're on the way to my shop!

Doug

In KY you can get antique, standard or YOM plates. The antique is limited driving but I doubt it is enforced. I have standard plates. They are $15 a year. We have to pay personal property taxes but after the car is 15 years old it's a flat of $20 or something like that. So I pay about $35 a year and have no inspection except the very first time you register they check the VIN. You can get away with just about anything down here compared to when I lived in Illinois! I think plates were about $75 a year when I left in 04 and you had to pass an annual emission test.

Back