• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shag's tags

SELLERSRODSHOP

as some of you may have seen in another thread, craig was trusting enough to send me the original issue tags for shag this week to see if i could freshen them up. i had two candy jobs going towards the end of the week when they arrived, so got a bit of work done during the idle time between tint coats of candy. here is the "before" pics craig posted in the other thread:
ShagPlatesB.jpg

here are the tags along with a pristine original supplied by crustycurmudgeon to use as a guide to match paint colors ( thanks frank!!):
IMG_2792.jpg

i started with the worst of the two, which had a large crease all the way across the front between the "california" script & the numbers. i started straightening the crease & working the dents & bends out until i finally had it flat using a couple body hammers, pliers, & my steel welding table & bench vise as the "dolly'. here's the first one after being reworked next to the second:
IMG_2794.jpg

i stripped the first one in the blast cabinet, then reworked the second one. both are good & flat now. these cali tags are a little different than most as the rib stamped around the border is recessed rather than raised like the letters/numbers, so there is actually three levels to work instead of two. most tags with two levels can be worked on a flat surface, but these require using the edge of the table for the inverted border to hang over.
IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

i'll post updates as the progress continues. hope to have both stripped & in epoxy primer over the weekend while finishing up these candy jobs on the old harleys.

What are you going to charge? Oi have one that needs add'l massaging...

"opentrackerSteve" said:
What are you going to charge? Oi have one that needs add'l massaging...

Oh did he forget to say that he offers such services only to SF Giants fans? :yah

:skul :skul :skul :skul
TimmyBobble.jpg
:skul :skul :skul :skul

:thu Great Job

Only thing I can promise is that if I tried to work them like that, they'd end up way worse than when I started!

got a little more done tonight. spent a couple hours smearing polyester putty with a razor blade in some of the non original wrinkles added over the years & sanding smooth. tedious work sanding between the letters & numbers to say the least. after i had most of that done, i threw them in with a set of 62 harley tins that i was spraying some high build primer on & added a coat. the better of the two tags is ready to wetsand & paint but still have a few small spots to address on the other one. i had to do ALOT of metal shrinking on the bad one as the metal had stretched & "oilcanned" when it was creased. with all the stampings, you really have to have a feel for how the metal needs to be worked to shrink instead of making it worse. i'm really happy with how these are coming along.

IMG_2825.jpg

the one on the right (top) stll has a few places you can see that need fixing. alot of the bumps & valleys are original to the tag & how it was stamped. thanks to the original frank sent as a reference, i can leave the original stampings intact & keep it looking more authentic...
IMG_2824.jpg

as far as the black base color, i think i'm gonna use the black single stage urethane i had flattened 40% to match the original harley chassis black. i also have some of the same in a 100% flattened "zero gloss" that i can mix in to flatten the 40% a tad more until i reach the proper gloss level of the original.

Craig's gonna need a 2nd mortgage to pay this bill!! Amazing work Steve.

Back