• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shag's tags

All I want to know is, :wtf is that on the very left of the last pic. A foot rest of a barber shop chair?

yes, a 1959 koken president that i picked up a while back. i keep one around to sit in when my gets out of whack standing on that concrete floor for hours at a time. i had a 1921 koken & a 1959 paidar in the shop when it burned, but have to redo some stuff on them before they are useable again...

1959 koken
IMG_2708.jpg

1921 koken:
IMG_2509.jpg

1959 paidar:
IMG_2527.jpg

my 1901 koken thats in the house:
stevesstuff202.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
cool, my great grandfather was a barber and had a shop in his house. He had a chair that (as my memory serves) looks like the 59...

Very cool! Would it be legal to leave them like this? Kind of the stealth look. Maybe a fine pin stripe to out line the letters, or a ghost shade of black on the letter?

IMG_2825.jpg

No...........I would get pulled over very quickly if the plates were left like that. Black/Yel, Blue/Yel or modern would be allowed. Nothing else.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
got a little more done tonight. spent a couple hours smearing polyester putty with a razor blade in some of the non original wrinkles added over the years & sanding smooth. tedious work sanding between the letters & numbers to say the least. after i had most of that done, i threw them in with a set of 62 harley tins that i was spraying some high build primer on & added a coat. the better of the two tags is ready to wetsand & paint but still have a few small spots to address on the other one. i had to do ALOT of metal shrinking on the bad one as the metal had stretched & "oilcanned" when it was creased. with all the stampings, you really have to have a feel for how the metal needs to be worked to shrink instead of making it worse. i'm really happy with how these are coming along.

Wow, I'm sure this is an almost exact quote from someone in Folsom Prison ca 1967....

...NOT!

Great work, man. As usual, Craig seeks out and gets the best. :thu Nice work

I have to ask. How do you get the correct yellow color for the numbers? I've seen a lot of restored plates and some of them don't have the correct yellow.

John,
Crusty sent a NOS plate to use as a sample to match. With Steve's painting experience, I'm sure he'll be able to get pretty
darn close to the correct shade.

"cmayna" said:
John,
Crusty sent a NOS plate to use as a sample to match. With Steve's painting experience, I'm sure he'll be able to get pretty
darn close to the correct shade.

Well, it's not a NOS plate, but it's a nice lightly used plate.

Frank

"Opentracker" said:
I have to ask. How do you get the correct yellow color for the numbers? I've seen a lot of restored plates and some of them don't have the correct yellow.

i just mix it until i get the right color. you just have to look at it & figure out what colors you need to add for a "toner".

They look fantastic. Too bad you couldn't have flattened out he A and made it a F in honor of JohnPro.

did a little lettering tonight. that california babyshit yellow is hard to duplicate. ended up mixing brown into yellow to get the proper shade (got that idea from looking in my drawers :hide) tried black first, but that turned it way too green. the brown did the trick.
IMG_2866.jpg

my camera interpreted some wierd stuff on these yellows. don't pay attention to the color difference as the camera is causing the difference. almost makes the original tag lettering look orange...
IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

hmmm....
these are turning out pretty nice, I wonder if Steve has made licence plates before.... while incarcerated with some Chicago politicians maybe...

Back