• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shag's tags

And here I thought watching Bubba and gang at the local house of confignment was fun making plates. Steve, are you going to share how you are applying the yellow?

I must say.....or my wife will say that I do not deserve such beautiful work on any of my cars plates. Shag is going to be very proud to wear it's original plates, once again.

i do most of the lettering with a $6 liner brush from the art supply store. i have a couple of the fancier pinstriping brushes, but mainly use those on the "coca-cola" scripts where you have lots of curves to "roll" the brush around. i'll post a pic of the brush when i get home. had to get away for a couple days. between getting the shop in order, work, steph's new knee & the new grandbaby, i haven't had a day off since the beginning of may. needed a break...

here's the brush i use on the small stuff:
IMG_2873.jpg

had a little time tonight after spending all weekend moving stuff from the storage pod to the new shop & packing all the small stuff up into storage in the attic so finished up the first tag. wish i had a dollar for each trip i made up the ladder today...
IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

after that, my hands still felt pretty good, so did the other one too:
IMG_2874.jpg

Honestly, I originally never thought about having Shag's tags restored for I figured they were way beyond repair to any decent level. Steve has proven me way wrong.

Note to self: [Craig, you really don't deserve this. You OWE someone big time].

And just as a reminder, here's a before shot:

ShagPlatesA.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Really beautiful work.
If this becomes a new side gig, I may have to get my front plate worked on. It got pretty hammered in the accident. :roll

"blu67" said:
Really beautiful work.
If this becomes a new side gig, I may have to get my front plate worked on. It got pretty hammered in the accident. :roll

thanks! i consider that quite a compliment from someone with your artistic skills. i don't really have any "side gigs". i like to eat, so anything that comes thru the door is considered part of the "main gig"! i take in anything from cars, bikes, coke machines, gas pumps, porcelain signs, toys etc.

if anybody has a tag or something they are interested in getting done, shoot me a note & see what my schedule looks like. small stuff can be worked in anytime as long as a quick turnaround time isn't a concern.

lettering tags is a breeze after doing one of these...

before;
scan0001.jpg

after;
IMG_2868.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm going to be afraid to install the front one because of future rock chips......but wait ! Just don't drive the car :bowdown

"cmayna" said:
Now I'm going to be afraid to install the front one because of future rock chips......but wait ! Just don't drive the car :bowdown
or a clear plate cover (legal in CA?)

Craig. I used a Lexan plate cover that completely surrounds the plate and has a rubber gasket to keep water out. It also has a black frame that blends in with the plate nicely and virtually disappears. Kept the plate looking great before it hit a wall.....
I bought it at a company called Autosport. No store. Just catalog and online. Once I get my car back on the road, I'll be getting another. Those cheap crap ones at Pep Boys aren't worth chit. This will protect ur investment.
I didn't get one for the rear though.

Get some of that 3M clear bra/film stuff to protect the plate. I don't know if it would conform to those tight of radii on the letters, etc though.

Send Skip (Mach1ne) a PM and ask him about the stuff. He uses it on his vehicles.

"70_Fastback" said:
Get some of that 3M clear bra/film stuff to protect the plate.
Yea Craig,...and I promise not to give you any Sh*t about your plate wearing a bra. :yah

Back