• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What did you drive in high school?

"S8NS 289" said:
after high school the cars and girls got a little worse....probably reverse of everyone else..LOL-

My cars stayed crappy through college then started getting nicer. My female "friends" through college stayed the same or improved but def went down hill after that...hint I got married 3 years out of college.

Ever look back over the years and think :wtf was I thinking? :roll

Re: Re: What did you drive in high school?

"RustyRed" said:
Ever look back over the years and think :wtf was I thinking? :roll

Uh, yeah. I had a camaro and a mullet. Wtf was I thinking is an understatement.

1964 Falcon Futura 2dr hardtop. Started life with a 170 6cyl and a 3 on the tree. Swapped in a 200 from a totaled Maverick. Installed a Dagenham 4 speed with a Mr. Gasket shifter that I found at a junkyard in Denver. That was all done during junior year. The following summer I bought a totaled 66 Fairlane and robbed the 289 and C4 out of it and swapped it into the Falcon. Got an $99 Earl Scheib paint job, put Sprint badges on and drove the wheels off of it. Sold it after graduation.
295-211211185440.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked to school. We lived in Spain, Navsta Rota, in base housing and I lived 3 blocks away. You can't drive over there until you are 18yrs old and you had to have a US drivers license first. So no high schoolers had a car, or could even drive for that matter.

This is a neat thread! I have in common some things with others here.
when I was 15 I bought a wrecked 67 coupe and fixed it up.
index.php

206446_1023588675567_1400756601_30065119_5496_n.jpg

216629_1023588715568_1400756601_30065120_5636_n.jpg

I drove it all thru HS and then got a 72 Torino as my work car
n1400756601_30138329_4623816.jpg

and then later bought a 1980 Monza Spyder, I kept my first car until I traded for the one I have now (and cash)
n1400756601_30138331_6082495.jpg

Attachments

• 1st car at 15.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 114
My '67 coupe that I bought in 1980 for $800 with a $1,000 paint job and Cragar wheels. My Dad matched any money that I saved and put away for my car. He and I worked on it almost every weekend - 289, C4, 4 wheel drums. I drove it until 1985 when I found my fastback.

img013.jpg

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
First car was a 50 Chevy. Couldn't keep rods in it. Then a 49 Mercury, traded it for a 49 Pontiac basically all in one year. Got a 51 Ford my senior year and have been Blue Oval ever since

"abrahamfh" said:
Your Dad was a serious businessman.

He definitely instilled the "nothing is free or cheap" mentality. I hated it then, but can respect it now.
Bill

My first (driveable) a car was a 1969 Mustang sportsroof that I bought totally complete without an engine or transmission for... get this.....

$200.

I bought a used engine and trans and drove it all throughout High School.

-Shannon

My first car was a 65 Plymouth Valiant with a slant 6.

Then I got me a 68 Galaxy 50 with a 428 police interceptor engine. Only 8 MPG but a lot of fun to drive. Large back seat also.

My wife had a cooler car than me back in high school. Her dads yellow 67 fairlane. He still has it, holding on to it for a grandpa grandson project.

When I turned 16, I got an '81 Mustang Hatchback with a 4 cylinder with a 5 speed. Put new wheels on it, added a rear spoiler, and had it painted Vermillion Red. Then in my senior year, I picked up my '67. Got rid of the '81 a few years later but I still have the '67 that I hope to get back on the road sometime next year after an 18 year slumber.

Attachments

• mycars.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 124
"67 Fastback" said:
He definitely instilled the "nothing is free or cheap" mentality. I hated it then, but can respect it now.
Bill

Mine too, although he did give me a pass on interest. My first car I saved the cash, then he cut me a deal - I put the cash in a joint savings account, to be used only for emergency repairs. I paid all gas, insurance, and maintenance. He loaned me the $900 at zero %, but if I missed a payment or insurance, etc, he cashed the savings account. Taught me a lot about having to pay for things, collateral, etc.

My dad told me if I wanted a car I was on my own. The only help he offered was to cosign a loan to help start my credit. I did have a car payment all through high school, but I worked to pay for all my own things and I believe I had a higher appreciation for my stuff.

"abrahamfh" said:
Right on, smart man.

mine also, just with a slightly different angle. he bought me my first car for my 15th b-day. a brand new 83 mustang gt. he was running the body shop @ the local ford dealer at the time & it was a salesman's demo. only catch was the front bumper was mashed back to the firewall. he said "happy birthday, if you want to drive when you turn 16 you better get busy, it's only a year from today". got the car finished & couldn't afford the insurance, so sold it & bought the 71.

My grandmother passed away when I was 12, she left me about 2500 in a savings account. Used it to buy a couple dirt bikes growing up, sold them when I was 15 and bought the Mustang for $1600. I looked at a '66 the prior day, it was nice, black, red interior, but it wasnt a '68 like I wanted. The next day I found mine a few blocks over from the '66. It was painted '67 dark moss green (originally lime gold metallic), looked good sitting in the garage next to my dad's highland green '68, the car I now own.

I paid $100 for my Falcon, and paid for everything including insurance. Step mom tried to ground me from my car once. No monetary involvement, no say was my position. Dad upheld that logic. Upon graduation my dad cosigned my first car loan.

Back