• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What Steering wheel for Shag?

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I don't want a stock ho hum wheel, yet nothing too radical. Any ideas?

KBMWRS told me I should go with one of these that we saw at a recent car show, but don't worry I'm not listening to him....(too much)

4_20_05_10_10_05_42_0.JPG

4_20_05_10_10_05_42_1.JPG

I say go for a custom billet steering wheel...

Here are a few I think could match shag:

SW-DONK-X-2.jpg

or

SW-DOLLAR-X-2.jpg

or if you really want to be bad ass, nothing says I'm tough like skulls:

SW-GOUHLSKUL-X-2.jpg

And of course, everybody loves skittles:

SW-SKITTLES-X-2.jpg

Head on over to www.airbagit.com; you'll find lots of tasteful ideas for shag!
-Rory

This 15" MotoLita was one of the first upgrades I did to my car and one of my favorites, changed the look of the interior. I picked it up for ~$75 + the Lecarra adapter ~$65. My biggest issue is finding a horn button that will fit the smaller diameter center hole, haven't found one yet, may have to fab one. At worst I'll find someplace else to put a horn button.
Woodsteeringwheel.jpg

With the center hole cover on:
wheel_with_insert.jpg

Of the above the natural nautical wheel would be my next choice but I fear for my coulyones in a fast right turn....
Jon

Bite Me just called and suggested I go test handle a few of these wheels. His concern is the Lecarra I like might be too small in cross section dimension of the rim itself. I can't argue for a large rim to grab hold of might be more comfortable.

And SAC69, I will also admit that maybe for Shag a wooden wheel might stand out whereas as black one might fit better realizing I will have black carpet and dash trim pieces. But I promise that if I go black, I won't pick your wheel.

Jon's the master of the good deal. He's relentless. I think his real secret is patience. He studies to find out what a really good deal would be, and waits until he finds it. I'm envious :)

Craig, I'll show you the wheel I'm going with:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRT-1178/

It's 14.5" instead of 15, but I love the black mahogany. And the price is pretty good!

They have one with a natural stained mahogany, too...You might like that better with Shag's interior. I like the LeCarra and MotoLita wheels, but this one just seemed more what I like. Good luck finding your match!

"Jonk67" said:
This 15" MotoLita was one of the first upgrades I did to my car and one of my favorites, changed the look of the interior. I picked it up for ~$75 + the Lecarra adapter ~$65. My biggest issue is finding a horn button that will fit the smaller diameter center hole, haven't found one yet, may have to fab one. At worst I'll find someplace else to put a horn button.
Woodsteeringwheel.jpg

With the center hole cover on:
wheel_with_insert.jpg

Of the above the natural nautical wheel would be my next choice but I fear for my coulyones in a fast right turn....
Jon

I have one of these for my 66 Shelby. Great feel, a bear when parking...not enough leverage without power steering.
I don't think a horn button was ever made for this size hub. Similar wheel used on the 65 Shelby's required the horn toggle switch on the dash. Mine was rigged with a button mounted by the high beam switch on the floor, spliced into the wiring coming out of the column. I've changed to the factory wood grained plastic wheel when I cared about car show correctness. I'll probably put it back on soon and use a toggle switch instead of the toe button.

I'd go with the MotoLita if it's wood you're after.

Back