• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What Steering wheel for Shag?

2-20-10035.jpg

I would have used the Moto Lita if I had a '68

I like the original style of the '67 though.

Craig, I'm using the '67 deluxe wheel now just like the image above but will replace it with a Lecarre soon. If you are interested in it for your car, send me a message.

get a Nardi wheel. I've got one on our Alfa Romeo and it's a beautiful piece! Here's a black on black one....

ac152.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"opentrackerSteve" said:
get a Nardi wheel. I've got one on our Alfa Romeo and it's a beautiful piece! Here's a black on black one....

ac152.jpg

Craig: This is the brand I told you about on Saturday. They also have a number of woodgrain wheels if that look floats your boat.

I have a black leather 14 inch lecarra mark IV, does Nardi make a wheel that looks just like it in a 15 inch?

OOH, OOH, FOUND IT!!!

173_13_06_10_10_30_35.jpg

I checked with the owner of this car on his source for the wheel, and he said he built it himself, picking up the basic parts by following a '66 Mustang around Roseville, CA. :eek:mg

He added that if you're interested, he could make one for you, but you'd have to wait until the next time he's in Roseville. :WP

Craig:
I like the chain steering wheel, but combined with the diamond plate door panels and dash. It gives that industrial look. The smaller white wheel looks like it would be more comfortable when driving with handcuffs on.

Regards,
Ken

Hey Craig, how about a Nardi wood with the aluminum 3 spoke wheel, made in Italy and has a black stripe in it, roughly 14 1/2" in Dia. If you're interested, I can post a picture of mine...not installed yet.

Craig,

One thing that has not been discussed (on this thread) is wheel diameter. When choosing an aftermarket wheel try to keep the wheel's diameter as close to stock as possible. Too large and the rim of the wheel may interfere with the tops of your thighs.... too small and it may interfere with your vision of the instrument cluster.... and.... don't forget that the length of the TS stalk is fixed to accomodate a stock diameter wheel. There are factors to consider when choosing an aftermarket wheel aside from appearance.

I agree. A 15" wheel is your best bet IMO. The " feel " you get from the car changes when you go down in size. Going from a 15" to a 14" takes away some of the road feel. It also takes away the leverage you have on a M/S car. Take a look next time your at the track. All or most of the cars will have a 15" or larger steering wheel.

I've driven a car with vise grips, it can be done.

"Opentracker" said:
I've driven a car with vise grips, it can be done.

Yes, and the return after a corner can be hell on the knuckles. I think that anyone who has worked on cars for a while has driven with vice grips.......just like a 5 gal. bucket/milk crate for the seat. Just things you do.

Craig would need to paint those grips black to go with his interior. That pair are too flashy.

Back