• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'65 Fastback Build--Reassembly

Re: '65 Fastback Build--Updated 8/15/2010

"daveSanborn" said:
I'm not entirely convinced yet, but I'm actually starting to think that you may finish this car in my lifetime. Progress looks great Ryan.

Thanks Dave, I'm not entirely convinced either, but the progress is positive. Drip rail added to list.

"sigtauenus" said:
Great progress Ryan, you're almost at the point where things really start moving fast. Particularly if you have the $$$ to keep the UPS guy in business delivering parts.

Thanks Sam, I love seeing the progress every week. Before I know it, it'll be painted!

"65-408" said:
I am so jealous... I am totally bogged down in repro panel fitting hell and rapidly getting to the "good enough" stage... Right now fighting headlight buckets, rear valence, and a particular sore spot on both sides; the fenders to cowl interface...

Please take lots of pics of your bodyman's progress, as I will be watching and trying to reproduce his fits, to the best of my hack abilities...

BTW, I am also planning on whimbleton white with a 408W... Are you going plain jane (secrataries car, as the guys I work with call it) or are you adding stripes?

I assume he primed it right in the garage? did he put up plastic or anything, wondering how he controlled the overspray from making a total mess of you nice garage?

The repro parts kicked my arse too. It really takes an experienced bodyman to make them work, or at least in my experience.

I'm going plain jane, no stripes for me. I'm a "less is more" guy. Actually, I'm reconsidering Wimbledon White now that I'm not doing the bodywork anymore. We'll see.

Primed it right in the garage, no plastic up. The garage is a disaster anyway. Once it goes to paint, I'll have to thoroughly clean the garage to prepare for reassembly.

Congrats my man. It looks so clean, I am so jelous. I can't wait to get to that point, must be nice not having to worry how long ago your last tetanus shot was.

Keep the pics coming :10

So...how did you fix the roof dents? Great Stuff?

Re: '65 Fastback Build--Updated 8/25/2010

"Midlife" said:
So...how did you fix the roof dents? Great Stuff?

Of course.

UPDATE 8/25/2010

Ready for blocking:

53_25_08_10_6_56_47_4.JPG

53_25_08_10_6_56_47_3.JPG

53_25_08_10_6_56_46_2.JPG

53_25_08_10_6_56_44_1.JPG

53_25_08_10_6_56_44_0.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Moving along nicely! Your garage is looking like mine with body parts all over the place.

"RyanG85" said:
body parts all over the place.

FBI might be lurking. Didn't that incident that one night never happen?

Once again, the car looks great. Could you share some details in regards to the equipment necessary/you are using to primer the car. Thanks.

"abrahamfh" said:
Once again, the car looks great. Could you share some details in regards to the equipment necessary/you are using to primer the car. Thanks.

Abe, I have a 60 gallon, single stage compressor, which if I had to do again, I would get an 80 gallon two-stage. Air tools keep the compressor running almost continuously. I live in the South, so drying the humid air is vital. I have a large desiccant dryer with a water and oil separator too. For a primer gun, I just bought a cheap Astro sub $100 HVLP gun, which works great for primer.

also add a small filter right at the gun as a last chance.

Car's looking great Ryan!!!

"silverblueBP" said:

Car's looking great Ryan!!!

Thanks Mark, and good call on the gun filter.

Nice progress you're makin' now. After your project sat idle for some time, t must feel great now!

Paint won't be too much longer now!!!

"monkeystash" said:
Abe, I have a 60 gallon, single stage compressor, which if I had to do again, I would get an 80 gallon two-stage. Air tools keep the compressor running almost continuously. I live in the South, so drying the humid air is vital. I have a large desiccant dryer with a water and oil separator too. For a primer gun, I just bought a cheap Astro sub $100 HVLP gun, which works great for primer.

Thank you for that Ryan, currently trying to get a deal on a Air Compressor on Craigslist. BLAW! Hate it when people don't email you back after you make them a reasonable offer (don't say OBO if you don't mean it). LoL!

"silverblueBP" said:

Thanks for chiming in Mark, going to slowly put together the arsenal to do what I can myself and save a few shekels.

"garner67" said:
Nice progress you're makin' now. After your project sat idle for some time, t must feel great now!

Paint won't be too much longer now!!!

Yep, paint hopefully within a few weeks, although I'm now considering a new color, sigh. Believe me Mike, it does feel great!

"blue65coupe" said:
Very cool Ryan. I guess that '11 on order really got you antsy.

Duane, I can't park a new car in filthy, dusty garage, lol.

"abrahamfh" said:
Thank you for that Ryan, currently trying to get a deal on a Air Compressor on Craigslist. BLAW! Hate it when people don't email you back after you make them a reasonable offer (don't say OBO if you don't mean it). LoL!

No sweat Abe, good luck in your compressor hunting.

That's a very nice color! Midlife is CandyApple Red as well, and it is a very deep-hued red. You're gonna love it!

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. My bodyman stills comes over every weekend, but little progress can be seen from photos. He's been blocking primer for a few weeks now, but hopefully we'll see some color soon. And yes, the final decision has been made for '66 Candy Apple Red PPG two-stage.

Nice choice.

Glad to hear of the progress, I'm sure this stage of the game requires a lot of detailed attention and patience.

Back