• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Abrahamfh....da welder

If set up correctly, I've found that the flux wire is useful in outdoors applications. I can take the welder anywhere on the property and fix fencing, etc... They are not pretty welds, but they do job.

I've tried using flux on sheet metal and it always looks like crap. Then again, my welds with gas look like crap too! I need to attend the JB School of Welding in Olathe, Kansas :thu

"buckeyedemon" said:
so no response to my above question? should i assume Flux Welders produce bad welds because of poor design as opposed to user error?

or am i just in the BS forum?

buckeyedemon,
Relax a little. As you should be able to see, abrahamfh has not been on this post if any to reply. You should also be able to see that most replies have noted that Flux welding is not the best choice for automotive applications. go mig.

"silverblueBP" said:
If set up correctly, I've found that the flux wire is useful in outdoors applications. I can take the welder anywhere on the property and fix fencing, etc... They are not pretty welds, but they do job.

That is more what I was referring to Mark...the small time rancher that needs something cheap to fix a gate that is outside. Go north from where I am and I can introduce you to a lot of people in that boat. They are not prof. welders and want something simple but effective for use in the field.

"silverblueBP" said:
I've tried using flux on sheet metal and it always looks like crap. Then again, my welds with gas look like crap too! I need to attend the JB School of Welding in Olathe, Kansas :thu

I am also with you on needing to attend the JB school of welding :roll

What I've found though is that welding is difficult to truly master unless you do it on a daily basis. For the hobby minded person who welds once in a while on a project car...we are probably stuck with ugly weld syndrome.

"cmayna" said:
buckeyedemon,
Relax a little. As you should be able to see, abrahamfh has not been on this post if any to reply. You should also be able to see that most replies have noted that Flux welding is not the best choice for automotive applications. go mig.

sorry, didn't mean to come off like that.

but aren't you the author of the topic? Are you part of the "We" that was referred to in the original post?

It just seems the author (whoever that is) is bashing flux welding based on the poor performance that was posted without any attempt to understand why it was that bad.

"cmayna" said:
buckeyedemon,
You should also be able to see that most replies have noted that Flux welding is not the best choice for automotive applications. go mig.

i'm not at all questioning this.

"buckeyedemon" said:
before you throw Flux Core welding under the bus (i use gas...)

i believe something is wrong with that welder or setup.

are you POSITIVE the polarity was set correctly for Flux?

Double and triple checked the polarity.

After I left Craig's, I went to my local welding supply store and purchased some high quality flux core wire. After much testing with different settings, determined that yes, I can get a somewhat decent weld with less spatter than what I was putting out earlier at Craig's. I looked around online doing as much research as I could, found a few videos from EXPERT WELDERS laying down some very nice welds with flux but still had to scrape off spatter, it is just more work than I would like to do. Have you seen Fred? I have a full plate, LoL!

It seems as though, in the welding community, the general rule for flux welding is "drag the slag" which says a lot in itself. Many folks on some welding forums I checked out also stated that it is not the best for automotive applications and is used often welding heavier, dirtier materials.

I am in no way putting down flux welding, I am also just starting out, but when I compared the outcome of the final product and the application I need, I personally have chosen MIG.

"Midlife" said:
Abe: denim jeans are great for welding (denim resists weld splatter well), but cotton sweatshirts are a no-no. Get a leather or denim jacket. Leather is the best for welding splatter of all materials.

Thank you Mid,

I saw Carhart, it was really tough and rough material, but when I read your post, I checked the tag and it is 100% cotton. :part :hide

I'll start looking around for either a denim jacket or some leathers.

And ummm... don't weld in flip-flops either.... especially those rubber ones... those little frickin slag balls burn like hell!!

"abrahamfh" said:
Thank you Mid,

I saw Carhart, it was really tough and rough material, but when I read your post, I checked the tag and it is 100% cotton. :part :hide

I'll start looking around for either a denim jacket or some leathers.

I've also heard that a heavily starched shirt works well. Starch, for some reason, helps to resist weld splatter. I've never done it, as I hate ironing.

When I worked on the farm I've always welded with stick and I have to say I am a great grinder, but welder?

Anyway, I worked in Bakersfield, CA in summer which is very hot. Not as hot as Brawley, but very hot still the same. Anyway, I always welded wearing my shop shirt which was a uniform supply light blue with my name above the pocket. Good old fashion mechanic shirts. I think they were a blend of poly and cotton. Pants too.

I have done the hot slag down the shirt dance more than once!

Mel

I will say that I was a little disappointed that this Flux welding didn't make Abe do the splatter dance. He did ask me if that welding outfit he was wearing made his butt look big. What was I suppose to say? :shrug

And no I'm not so much knocking Flux welding in general for yes it does seem to have a purpose, but just not in the automotive sheet metal world.

"Midlife" said:
I've also heard that a heavily starched shirt works well. Starch, for some reason, helps to resist weld splatter. I've never done it, as I hate ironing.

Just make sure whatever you wear has 0% synthetics - they melt into your skin when heated.

"cmayna" said:
And no I'm not so much knocking Flux welding in general for yes it does seem to have a purpose, but just not in the automotive sheet metal world.

I would generally agree as I am not a fan of flux core either, however back in the mid 90's I didn't have a mig welder and borrowed a friends flux core welder. As much as it sucked with the splatter, I was able to stitch both 4 pieces of 0.030" thick sheet metal together using both lap and butt joints to patch the lower rear sections on my El Camino. I did quite a bit of patch work with the flux core on that mild restoration... On the clean metal it actually worked out better than the rusty sections. I don't think i would ever use it again for sheetmetal repair, but it can and did work out ok for me.

ec-rest3.jpg

Gas is way better, less work, cleaner welds, less cleanup = tons more pride in your work.

FYI, Some racing organizations will certify roll cages welded with flux core due to the voids / pinholes.

First MIG test. Lap welding two pieces of .040 material (cut up front LS floor pan) using .023 solid wire, heat setting at level 2 out of 4, wire feed set at 5.5 out 10 and shield gas set at 16 cubic ft per hour.

Suggestions welcome.

I will be playing around with it a lot more this weekend but thought I would get some wisdom from you all.

Top side

a6cd88cd-2111-69e2.jpg

Bottom side

a6cd88cd-20ee-6f9a.jpg

Wow, no wonder my welding is ugly as hell. I need to get me some MIG action. That would have made my floors look halfway decent! Nice work Abe!

Abe,

I just read this post and you're starting to see why MIG welders exist. The flux wire fed welders do not protect as well as an inert gas. TIG is even better than MIG.

Also remember, just like woopee, you must try different positions. It will further hone your talents on this art.

(I took a welding class my sophomore year in college - me engineer - go see if you can still do that today! and we spent the entire semester less 3 weeks welding with Oxy Acetylene on test coupons in various orientations. upside down was the toughest).

Once you are comfortable with the test setup, then when you get to the real thing you'll take a step back as materials and this stuff called DIRT change everything.....

"opentrackerSteve" said:
(I took a welding class my sophomore year in college - me engineer - go see if you can still do that today! and we spent the entire semester less 3 weeks welding with Oxy Acetylene on test coupons in various orientations. upside down was the toughest).

I learned on Oxy also. I find that makes it easier to TIG, as the principle is the same.

Now Abe, here's a suggestion. If you got married then you could spend more time with the welder instead of being in the kitchen.

Back