• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Another Project - 71 Torino

Installed the Radiator and new houses. Also got my newest design dash cluster in with the Dash Pad. Sadly looks like my sender is biting the bullet
347437380_965309657836869_2869921131467203670_n.jpg
348589519_167030409625095_1393091440427197966_n.jpg

Started the day pulling the mufflers back off and welding the turn downs on solid. Then took her out to get groceries in a few different places on this beautiful day.

another 70 miles on her and tons of smiling

344978203_202461576008150_5122570724375245302_n.jpg
345042290_575770917974207_7721917323582052976_n.jpg

348623257_1389434768506916_1073744617100891441_n.jpg

I couple more things knocked off the list

*Installed a new Fuel Sender and it appears my gauge is working properly now
*Siphoned out 2 qts of gear oil and put some fresh gear oil in to be safe

Hot Rod Power Tour 2023

Day 1: Lost Oil Pressure in Chattanooga TN after about 210 miles driven from my house. Found the car to be 3 quarts low on oil

Day 2: Event Start: ATL Motor Speedway, Added another 2 quarts before rolling in. Discover the Oil Sender is leaking all over and Fix

Day 3: Smooth Drive to SC, belt came a little loose on the Power Steering and smooth getting into the Venue. Approx. 2 quarts of oil used

Day 4: Smooth Drive up to Rockingham but arriving at the Venue got stuck in a long line. Car started over heating, by the time i got in i had to get the officer to let me in before the car crashed and burned. I was literally about to roll in and he stopped me. Thinking it was going to be a short wait, i was wrong. I rolled in the entrance and parked it in the grass immediately at 250 Degrees.... 2 Quarts of oil used, had to add Coolant, and my Trunk Lock decided to break the spring on the cover. So i had to remove it. We then drove to Concord where the next event was. So a nice 2 day stay

Day 5: We are 2 miles from the ZMaxx and we drive over and get stuck in line. Turned the car off as they weren't letting people in and eventually when the line started going it was getting warm again, slow and steady she got up to 230 Degrees and I just parked her outside. Realized the 4 blade fan just wasn't enough, after leaving ran to O Reilley's and got a 5 Blade flex fan. unfortunately no one had any spacers at all. So i couldn't install it as the stock Spacer was Mushroomed on the Stock fan. Look further at the engine and find a plug wire was against the Headers and replaced all my spark plug wires, refilled the coolant again, and added 2 more quarts of oil. She is leaking out of everywhere at this point.

Day 6: Headed to Bristol no real issues, nice beautiful hill drive but adding oil at every gas stop. She got warm going into the Event and i turned the heater on and tried to pop the hood, but the Hood was jammed shut. So i drove in, with my car door open and the heater blasting and managed to keep her below 220. After inspection, i had to take part of the grille apart and unbolt the latch to the hood. The Safety latch caught and bent over. Unbent the safety hook and put it all back together. We drove to Knoxville for the night and she was not liking it. The Transmission seemed to be getting warm after all the hill driving and was feeling very sluggish in general.

Day 7: Heading home, car still seems very tired and need 2 more quarts of oil plus some Coolant. Seems she pukes a little coolant every stop but nothing major. As long as I'm at speed she never gets too warm. We stop at a rest stop and i check her over, plug wires are loose on the Distributer, weird......NGK wires.....Get everything snugged up and fill up with Gas. 100 Miles to home and she is roaring again like she should.....However she started to struggle, over 3k RPM the tach start getting weird, pretty sure i fouled out some spark plugs as it was very tired feeling again. Limped her home, and unpacked her.

I've ordered New Plugs and a Fan spacer for the time being. She is going to leak and i want to see how much but for the time being she will be a weekend car for fun until i get funds to Rebuild the Engine. I have big plans for this car eventually but I have to get back to work on my 69 Mustang which I've neglected for over a year.

1440 Miles Traveled from my house and back
Greenbrier TN
Columbia, TN
Atlanta Motor Speedway, Atlanta, GA
South Carolina State Fairgrounds, Columbia SC
Rockingham Speedway, Rockingham NC
ZMax Dragway, Concord NC
Bristol Motor Speedy Way Bristol, TN
Knoxville, TN
Greenbrier, TN

At one point i was averaging about 13.5mpg which i was shocked about
Total Spent Gas $412.68
3 Gallons of Oil Used
2 Gallons of Coolant

ATL.jpg
SC.jpg
RockingHam.jpeg
ZMAXX NC.jpg
Bristol.jpg

On behalf of the entire US oil industry I'd like to thank you for your support! :p
LOL

Did you at least make it to every event and score a Long Hauler plaque?
Yes sir, made it to every place and got my Plaque...It was a fun Tour and im looking forward to the next one. Now back to work on the 69 and ill do stuff to the torino here and there until i have the funds to rebuild the engine

Sounds like a successful Power Tour. It never landed on the back of a hauler! Congrats!

You seemed to have the same ars around you every day. Friends?

Did you meet up with any fixers?

Sounds like a successful Power Tour. It never landed on the back of a hauler! Congrats!

You seemed to have the same ars around you every day. Friends?

Did you meet up with any fixers?
yeah, i rode with a group of buddies here in the nashville.

I did get to meet several people from FB Groups, and my youtube followers. Pretty cool stuff and the people in general were fun to talk with

Been cruising more in this bad boy and a tune-up has settled her back down. Still leaks, but drives like a champ.....

but I broke and fixed it again...Shorted the fuse box out again try to figure out the Wiper motor issues. Turn out i order an intermittent switch which is got to be wrong......Anyway, i found the connections to the ignition switch seem to be loose and i pushed them back into the terminal and boom back to work...

Then, I decided on a big upgrade because im tired of cooling issues...I am setting up a 95 Concord V6 Dual Radiator Fan

I decided to be cheap about the wiring, Im using a 180/210 Thermostatic switch with a 4 wire relay but ive added in a 5 wire relay High Speed Bypass. (Turns off the low speed relay)

With the contour fan low speed power goes to a resistor to limit the speed, the high speed is true 12v....

Ive attached a wiring diagram oh my setup...If it gets tooo hot, ill just flip a toggle switch in the car to let the high speed roll

Wiring is all done except for the fans install themselves.... Hope to work on that part tomorrow

concord fan wiring.jpg

Cooling problems . Seen you used a fan shroud , thats good but it has to sit flush to the core otherwise it does not work properly.
I use a foam to seal the shroud to the rad , so when the fan "sucks air " it must come from the front of the rad.
I also use a visco but thats more for colder climate and / or noise reduction.

Cooling problems . Seen you used a fan shroud , thats good but it has to sit flush to the core otherwise it does not work properly.
I use a foam to seal the shroud to the rad , so when the fan "sucks air " it must come from the front of the rad.
I also use a visco but thats more for colder climate and / or noise reduction.
Yeah originally it was the 4 blade stock fan that caused my issues, I upgraded to a 5 blade but opted to.go this direction instead of buying huge spaces to get in near the rad.

I've hot the new setup mounted and wired but needs a ton of clean up and zip ties to secure it at the bottom 20230811_191811.jpg

So I went ahead and tested it out today. Initially it wasn't working so I pulled the thermostatic switch off the High relay and grounded the relay to the car. Still no dice, figured out the ground wasn't right on the fans themselves. Car was up to about 220 at the point , ran the fan on high and temps just started dropping like it was nothing. Ran it again, and the low speed comes on right about 190 so all is working. So cleanup is all that's left

well that didnt pan out....THe fan works great, keeps the car below 200 on low but wont shut off with the car...Guess, ill just have to run an ignition wire to the low relay after all rats lol

Re-wired it...87a on the bypass relay now goes to the 12v constant on the Low Speed Relay. Removed the Thermostatic switch from the Bypass relay as well.concord fan wiring.jpg

Back