• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Back for re-restoration;)

Gee, I'm drooling over that engine compartment and the spark plug wires are tidy! Thank you Terry!;)

Sorry it's been so long, not much going on other than Gary had a total right hip replacement 2 weeks ago. Having some complications with his urinary; making it go:( No answers other than Docs saying its a common occurence from anesthesia~ I've been under anesthesia more than I care to count, never had a problem, however his hip is doing very well and he's walking much better!

In the meantime, had a great deal of work to do on my 2000 dodge ram, and working on the Stang as time permits~ I'm puzzled as to what I do with tiny parts, much less larger parts for the stang! I can see myself saying, I'll put this here and that way I'll know where it is when I need it~ however that doesn't seem to be working~ haha!
I hope to be back with better news;)

I have quite a few of those hardware/small parts cabinets (the ones with all those clear plastic drawers) of various sizes that I use to hold the smaller stuff in. Print out labels like "dash hardware" or "door handle" that I use to keep all the original stuff in and also the new stuff. That way I can find it quick and have the old to which I can compare the new to make sure everything is correct. Between those and the same I use to hold all my electrical bits, a couple for stainless hardware and others for all my standard bolts and nuts. I probably have near a dozen of them. They are cheap enough its worth the investment.

I had them across the full back of my old workbench but I've since gotten a new bench to match my large tool box and have yet to remount most of them. I will put a couple boards up on the wall that they will mount on. And likely, a third that sits as a ledge for them to rest on as well. The ones with all the nuts and bolts get fairly heavy and I don't like to rely on just the thin metal frames of the cabinets to support all that weight.

I keep most of my larger actual car parts and such on either a dedicated shelving unit or even larger stuff on a shelf under my heavy duty bench I built. I have a transmission and some big stuff for the F1 stashed there right now. I like to stay organized to near a fault but it sure makes it easier to get stuff done when you've got to steal an hour here or there as it becomes available. Otherwise I find myself spending that whole hour just trying to find the stuff I need to do the task I had intended!

Finally getting everything to capeesh on the Driveline components hydraulic clutch for the 67-68 Mustang. Working closely with Red Roberts via texts, videos, verbal communication~ we finally came up with the working model which will be in production next week! I'm responsible for it happening as the template, I designed the under the hood plate out of plywood, fitting it perfectly to the firewall as it's a messed up firewall with weird curves, etc.

The angles are all correct now thanks to the 25 degree hydraulic clutch master cylinder adapter, which is McLeod design by Red Roberts himself. I'm honored to have been working with a big name, me?;)

The strengthening plate is the same thickness as the funny spacer behind the stock power booster so it maintains the correct distance of the brake master cylinder to the strut tower. Which we all know is close proximity! I advised Red that this part should be installed independently of the power booster so all hydraulics can be taken care of and even tested before installing the power booster;)

I'm using the bolt on slave cylinder also by Red Roberts, I chose out of simplicity vs the throw-out bearing which goes inside the bell housing.

Anyway, yesterday when talking with Red on the phone, after I had everything working, he said it's going into production very soon! I was kind of shocked as I feel responsible for anything which may go wrong. I have installed and removed the clutch pedal assembly more times than most people, in helping Red get this going, so I can also get my Mustang going. I'm not getting anything out of it other than being involved in something important, to be part of something other than being a recluse in my garage;)

Red Roberts of Driveline Components is venturing into Ford Territory and looking for someone to do the same with the 65-66 mustang so a power brake booster can be used with the hydraulic clutch. I wonder if anyone would be game to get involved with Red? Looking at the 65-66, it doesn't look nearly as involved as the 67-68. If so, I can give you his number;)

Very cool design. I like the way the brake plate incorporates the clutch master. If I already didn’t have the Modern Driveline setup in my 65 I would look at using this one!

Nice work, Dne'.

The 65/66 has it's own challenges likely the same as you encountered. The firewall has multiple curves and depths to deal with and the area in which the set-up would have to reside is very cluttered. Ours are a narrower body, remember.

I really like the direct inline design vs the convoluted linkage MDL users have to deal with. I will be designing and building my own set-up before too long. The bracket and way the slave mounts is nice too.

Thank you guys! I hope to move the stang tomorrow to move it into my air conditioned part. IT's been incredibly hot/humid. I could get a lot more done in the AC'd area.

Terry, I don't see how to PM you, but Red is looking for someone with a 65-66 Stang to do the same/similar system. He asked me if I could help him find someone, but I know you and how clever you are in coming up with cool stuff. However, if you'd like to talk to him, he's really nice, see what he has to say. You both could probably knock that 65-6 system out much quicker! There's no obligation.
dne' ;)

Red had sent me a strengthening plate based on the measurements that I had sent him, but perhaps my measurements were incorrect and the plate didn't work, at all, but I wound up tracing the plate he sent me and worked it. I used a piece of 1/4" plywood and meticulously made the model work by fine tuning it, sanding it, then I sent this piece of wood to Red, then he sent back the exact thing in 5/16 plate. Only thing I asked him to do was to tack weld the necessary spacers in between this plate and the firewall. Those spacers brought this plate out to the correct depth.

Last edited:
Well my, I buttoned it up under the "hood"(not finished, finishing wiring is left), let's say good enough to take it for a test spin. About a block from us is a very large park(baseball, soccer, etc), I'm going to check out nuts, bolts, essential wiring to get the job done just for this test, even test it with the back wheels off the ground to run it through the gears, circulate coolant, check cooling fans. It should be a short test run. No instrument cluster, just a working clutch(hopefully). Red said as soon as he here's from me on a successful test of the clutch system, it will be going into production! eek! no pressure:(

First time a seat has been in in a long time, felt good, taller than I expected. Just need to perform a few checks before putting the steering wheel back on, only to come back off once I'm Ok with the test.

The anniversary of the Harvey flood is August 27, it will have been 2 years; I hope to have it completed by then!
dne' ;)

Ummm...you might want to install a steering wheel for your test drive...

That all came back together really nice. Looks great!

I'm taking a pass on being the 65/66 helper, Dne'. Just don't have the time right now to tear everything apart for the effort. I can't even steal a couple hours here or there to get much done on the F1!

Middypoo~ I'm going to have self driving classic, it'll crash from one curb to the other bouncing back to stay in the middle of the road! lol

Terry, I know how busy you are judging from just what's going on on your build. I just need to find someone in a similar circumstance where their 65-66 is torn down for easier access.

Now that the Stang is finally able to move under its own power, I just moved it to my Air conditioned area. I can do the heat, but the humidity is killer!

Only thing right now is the power booster failed. I guess it must have sucked up water during the flood water ordeal. So no brakes = no real test drive:( I had bled the brakes and obtained a good brake pedal, but starting the engine, the brake pedal would go to the floor. The typical power booster test of pumping the brake pedal with engine not running thus a good pedal, then starting the engine, ~ right to the floor! Never have encountered this. New booster should be arriving soon~I hope. I replaced all brakes, wheel bearings, pads, hydraulics, etc. Just got cheap on the power booster!

However I am concerned about something which is incredibly difficult to describe, but when letting out of the clutch, car on the ground and moving slowly, there's a subtle drag/go, almost like a warped brake drum/ or even axle. I can jack the rear end, run it through first couple gears and I don't feel it. Very frustrating and leaves me worried. I shouldn't have mentioned it as I really haven't had opportunity to really check it out.

A problem I ran into on the slave cylinder plate which is held by two transmission bolts, I wasn't getting adequate movement in the slave cylinder when pushing on the clutch, thus a dragging clutch. I found the 1/4" plate was bent ever so slightly circled in red. I straightned that back out and welded on a piece of flatbar in green which attached to a tag on the transmission. This solved that issue. I spoke to Red, and he says my plate was first generation being 1/4" and future ones will be made out of 3/8 plate. I doubt I will change it out as I just don't want to. lol As it stands, the clutch is working fine.

This update make so much more sense here, I was really confused on how much I got done on your car..

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Finally got that hydraulic clutch figured out and is working fine, just a few more things under the hood and I'm good to go there;) Didn't think I'd ever find an air cleaner element! but found one on~~~~ wait for it, wait for it, AMAZON!! The brakes are working incredibly well after switching the calipers back the way they should be! I can do some dumb things some time!

I hate to say it, but it doesn't look as good in person, it's more like a 15footer, but I still like my mustang;)

Worked inside, wiring, a little radio, installed the seats(got some never seize compound on them), a lot of detail work yet to go on inside.

Got this radio from Amazon, it weighs NOTHING and is only 6" long(deep) with a digital screen (TV, back up, etc). Have no idea how long it will last, but it's pretty neat!

hmm, need to finish the front end off, need some headlights (any ideas?), still need to install the instrument cluster and see what happens;) oh and I need a shift lever and boot!

time for some television, looks like Mad Max, the most recent one:(
dne'

Your car looks great.

That radio is interesting. I like that it has the back up screen and it's not giant like all the double din radios. You'll have to let us know how it lasts.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Back