• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Battery wiring

So I got a delivery today.

Pretty fast turn around. I ordered it last Friday.

This is some heavy stuff. What a difference from the 2 guage I had.

I also got ring and post terminals from them along with solder pellets for the ends.

Thanks for helping my spend more money... Lol.
4461dee89fadea31b1c724e0fb74dce9.jpg
3dda1713f930dd8067b182fd21cb49e6.jpg

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Nice looking cable. For reference sake how big around is it, size of a dime or smaller? It looks like it may be a challenge to run in some areas.

It should be about 5/8" in diameter. While thick, its also very flexible, as it should be. It's a high count, narrow strand cable not a cheap welding type. Also double insulated so it doesn't require extra protection other than when passing through sheetmetal (use grommets) or if it routes close to exhaust. It will fit neatly in the door sill raceway too. Best part is you can crank until you kill the battery and never worry about it overheating and causing a fire.

It should be about 5/8" in diameter. While thick, its also very flexible, as it should be. It's a high count, narrow strand cable not a cheap welding type. Also double insulated so it doesn't require extra protection other than when passing through sheetmetal (use grommets) or if it routes close to exhaust. It will fit neatly in the door sill raceway too. Best part is you can crank until you kill the battery and never worry about it overheating and causing a fire.
What he said..

Hopefully I'll get some time next week to work on it.

I had about an hour in the garage today before work. Started running the new wire but I'm stuck in the kick panel up front on where to get into the engine bay.

Quick comparison of the 2 gauge vs the new 1/0 gauge?

a2df9e563d7fd2875a4a4575a1e9215c.jpg
a6e9e81f023b1eb1b872d2d5ce739eff.jpg
528f70d77fb2382c91bcd81b42c68099.jpg

I routed mine out of that area right at the firewall, just where the toe board raises up from the flat floor and through the firewall, alongside the frame rail. Naturally, I used grommets whenever passing through the sheetmetal. Even though the cable is very flexible this took some effort. I'll look and see if I have any pics of the wire routing to share.

The problem I'm running into is that the 70s have that fresh air vent there and it gets in the way.

I could go out the hole for the antenna and into the fender well?

I run some wiring in my fender well for the front lighting, etc. I secure it up high and tight against the inner sheetmetal so anything the tire might kick up will not strike it. I also run it all in a sleeve to keep it all snug and clean which is then run through a section of heater hose for even more protection. I'm a big fan of over-kill because I like to do stuff once and never have to worry about it again.

Back