• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Boom's Boosted Bullitt

Sorry that he couldn't do what you need/were looking for. If you do go the other motor route, I'd be interested in the Bullitt intake and associated components.

No worries, I completely understand their view.

Need to check the wiring in my trailer plug on the truck, my right signal doesn't work. Truck lights are fine so should hopefully be simple fix. Once that's done I can see about renting a trailer to take the Bullitt to the shop.

Been awhile since I updated this.

Haven't had a chance to do much of anything to the car due to weather. I finally got some time to try and address a few areas of concern.

I needed to addressed the belt issue. The blower pulley wasn't lining up with the rest of the pulleys causing the belt to lose a rib or two.

I was hoping it'd be as simple as pulling the old belt off, remove the blower, and reseat the pulley. Man, what was I thinking.

First issue I had to overcome was removing the belt. I've never been more perplexed. How did the designers expect this to go?

The square drive on the tensioner can only be seen from the bottom. Ok, inconvenient but manageable. I jack the car up and grab my tools.

20240414_114746.jpg

Once I finally get my tools on the tensioner, I realize it was a wasted effort. The tools are right against the blower bracket. So no way to pivot the tensioner up

<- this way is up. Needs to swing clockwise.
20240414_114921.jpg

Hard tonsee, but the breaker bar isn't any better.

20240414_120539.jpg

So I decided to look online for help. Found a video. Almost clicked away immediately since I saw the fellow pick up a pipe wrench. It worked for him, so I figired why not. Probably need to replace the tensioner anywho.

Found this toothless pipe wrench. Worked like a dream.

20240414_121729.jpg

So after longer then I care to admit. I got the belt off the tensioner. Now it should pull right out....right?!?!

signal-2024-04-14-12-25-18-701.jpg

For Pete's sake.....

So to take the belt off I needed to take out that bolt and fight the belt around the various pulleys.
Once I got the belt off, I worked to disconnect the old feed and drain lines from the blower, then pulled the whole kit out the top.

Engine bay seems to have tons of room now. Need to clean it up a bit.

20240414_124939.jpg

The belt issue was even eating away at my alternator!

20240414_143326.jpg

Here's the pulley on the blower. I feel like it should sit flush with the shaft.

20240414_131850.jpg

Well, the pulley was a bit damaged and didn't come off the shaft scot free. So the pulley is trash.

I'm really leaning torwards modifying my intake to run the filter and be N/A for a bit. Focus on getting the car cleaned and little issues fixed. I never got it tuned properly, so should run fine still.

One day I'd love to have it supercharged again. But I'm looking at more of a Kenne Belle style positive displacement blower.

Well see how it goes for now. Needs a new belt, odler pulley and possibly ps pump. Has some shaft play.

Need to pick up a belt and a tensioner to try and get the car going N/A. Need to get a tube to mount the filter too.

I have always liked the Cobra R Brembo kit Ford racing offered. Unfortunately it seems like that kit is getting harder and harder to get. It's also not cheap, last I saw it was like $1500 ish at Summit.

Did some reading into options. Figured surely with the abundance of Brembos on the newer cars someone had made an adapter of some sort ti run them in the older cars. Like the Mustang Steve brackets.

Didn't find any brackets to mount s197/s550 brakes on a new edge..but I did find something more intriguing.

20240415_213330.jpg

Enter the Cadillac ATS and XTS models. Both available with Brembos that are considerably cheaper. I nabbed these two brandy new on rockauto for like 110 ish a piece. They have removable mounting bushings which can be replaced with a set made to allow this caliper to bolt right onto the factory Ford spindle. I should hopefully have the new bushings in the next couple days.

I have reached out to a local powdercoater, only downside is I'd have to pull the pistons and reinstall them after coating. Still not too bad. Have to look into it some more.

Got a new belt, tensioner, and idler installed. The old tensioner was completely clapped out.

I cleaned everything up and got the car back together in its N/A form. Had to revert back to the stock tune for it to stay running.

Also got some high flow cats I plan to install next week.

Its amazing to realize the number of brake components made by the likes of Brembo and Wilwood that are available under other brand names. The Caddy find is really surprising.

Yeah, I had never heard of them at all until I started looking for Brembo options for New Edge cars. After watching a video showing that they are essentially bolt on, I was sold on the swap.

I have the adapter pieces already too. The Brembos have a metal bushing pressed in that locates them on the knuckle, the kit comes with new bushings to install that has them bolt right up. The banjo bolt is even the same thread as the stock PBR ones the Bullitt came with. Uses the same 13" rotor too.

I had looked at having the calipers powdercoated. That would require me to take them apart and reassemble them afterwards. I'm not against that on used brakes, but on brand new calipers I decided to try a special paint.

I ordered some G2 caliper paint. It's brush on and includes a hardener like real car paint. Well see how it works here next week.

Well I got the G2 paint kit, followed directions to a T and....it looked like trash. The paint was super runny, comes with a set of tiny brushes that are too small, no way to get a solid clean coat. Would be better if if was in an aerosol can. They make 2 part aerosols.

Here's a stand I had cobbled together and the paint attempt.

20240423_092919.jpg

20240423_113519.jpg

Anyway, I had already found a local powdercoater. Wanted to give the paint a shot, It was so bad I can't ever recommend it for really anything. I was a bit reluctant to take apart brand new Brembos, but calipers are surpringly easy. Hardest part was getting the pistons out, the first couple were easy but direction the air to pop the other side out was not.

I did test fit the calipers on the car. It's close, but fits and should work excellently. This mounts onto stock spindle and thay is a stock 13" cobra rotor that normally has the 2 piston PBR caliper

20240425_134005.jpg

20240425_140032.jpg

The calipers are now at the powdercoaters. Fully disassembled. They said it could be a couple weeks, just depends when they can find time.

Back