• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Convince me to move west.

RapidRabbit

Donator
Ok guys and gals.

I need someone to help convince me to move.
My wife and I have wanted to move out west for many years.
We put it off when our little girl was born because of the grandparents, but we can't take it here anymore.
I work for a National company and can transfer just about anywhere.

We have a vacation planned in October and we want to use it to scout locations to move to.

We are thinking AZ, NV. I can't afford CA. Any other suggestions?
We have been looking at the phoenix area recently. Maybe around Gilbert?
I am not too worried about how hot it is in summer as this is my busiest time at work anyway and I am usually working 6-7 days a week. Most of our free time to enjoy the boat and other activities is Oct thru May.

What we are looking for.

1. A nice lake for boating that is within a half hour drive.
2. House prices under $300,000 for a decent neighborhood.
3. NO snow. :rant
4. NO snow. :rant
5. low humidity?

Heat won't bother you, huh? I suggest you take a look at the temps in the Phoenix area the last week or so. Dry heat, my ass. It is brutal. My mother moved there to "enjoy" her retirement. The locals that can get the hell out of there July/August.

You can get unbelievable housing values in AZ and NV but you had better be in for the long haul as there is an unbelievable glut of available housing in most larger markets.

What about Texas? Other than that area that George Bush and KO67 live in, 300K goes a long way in the housing market. Plenty of lakes, and not much snow...

I am not saying the heat won't bother me. I look at it this way. Here we have 6 months of snow and sub zero temps where we don't leave the house. Then when summer comes I am too busy at work to do anything.
I would rather be able to enjoy the winter than the summer. If that makes any sense.

We usually take our vacations in June and go to AZ, or NV and we generally don't want to come home.

We have considered TX too. Never been there though and wouldn't know where to start.

What about Oregon or Washington? Washington does have long wet winters but Oregon isn't so bad. No Cali? Whew! Thought I was going to have to open up the NorCal SF owners manual on how to initiate a new member.

I wouldn't automatically rule out all of CA. Up here in Redding, house prices are down, 300K will buy a very nice house with land. Lake Shasta is just north of town, it's one of the largest lakes in the west with over 365 miles of shoreline. Lots of mountains in the surrounding area. And did I mention, that it doesn't get cold here. ok...in 10 years I've been here, the number of times I've seen snow I can count on one hand. It does get warm here today isn't too bad only supposed to be 100F, but there practically no humidity.

You don't have to park the mustang for the winter. I pretty much have turned my fastback into a daily driver. I only park it when it gets over 105F (no a/c + dark brown paint = a lot of sweating by the time I get home) or if it's raining hard (leaking cowl or windshield).

Not all places in CA are overpriced and congested. Redding is pretty kickback and relaxed type of area.

"RapidRabbit" said:
We usually take our vacations in June and go to AZ, or NV and we generally don't want to come home.
That sounds like my wife. Anywhere she has gone on vacation is where she then wants to live. I always have to remind her that she was on vacation. She was seeing things through the rose colored glasses of being on vacation. During such times you are in a hotel, typically. Dining out. Doing tourist stuff and having fun. You really don't notice things like you would had you lived there.

On your upcoming vacation do things like a local. Drive through some potential neighborhoods at different times of day. Walk through a grocery store or basic local shopping mall. Watch the local news. Drive the local highways at rush hour. Talk to some everyday folks and see what they have to say.

And then, if you're lucky, talk to people you know in the area and see what they can tell you.

I haven't ruled out cali yet.
Just not sure I can afford the cost of living and I have no idea where to start there either. :shrug

We usually try to avoid the tourist stuff and try to find local spots to go.
The plan for vacation is to look at neighborhoods and local areas.

Texas doesn't have a state income tax either!! Lots of great skiing lakes, so I hear.

Oregon, it rains all the time west of the mountains and it's cold and snowy on the east side. COL is ridiculous too, IMO. Great place to visit though.

I'd say Kansas, but # 1: we don't want northerners and # 2: the winters are about the same! Did I mention we don't want northerners? We like to keep the low cost of living, empty spaces, cheap track days and empty lakes to ourselves!

If you really want to live high on the hog, what about Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia maybe even.
Low cost of living, plenty of locations near or on a lake. Vary rarely ever snows...
Houses for under $300K would be a mansion. I bought a 2700 square foot brick house on more than half an acre for under $120K and property taxes are around $1000 a year. Okay I am in a very small town but the norm is around $175K for a really nice house in larger cities. If you live on a lake you'll pay a bit more but not $300K. Kentucky has "Land Between the Lakes" and Cumberland Lake which are both nice. I know Arkansas has nice lakes. Tennessee has a couple as well, one North of Chattanooga which is real nice.
Anyway, low or no snow and you still have the seasons.
Just some food for thought

Convince me to move west.

Check out the area around frisco or Plano tx. Near Dallas , great house values , lots of great lakes, good public schools , great car shows, good shopping and restaurants, plus, you can see rick's garage queen once a year .

"silverblueBP" said:
I'd say Kansas, but # 1: we don't want northerners and # 2: the winters are about the same! Did I mention we don't want northerners? We like to keep the low cost of living, empty spaces, cheap track days and empty lakes to ourselves!

:wtf you don't want to share the animals or what? :shee

"tarafied1" said:
If you really want to live high on the hog, what about Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia maybe even.
Low cost of living, plenty of locations near or on a lake. Vary rarely ever snows...
Houses for under $300K would be a mansion. I bought a 2700 square foot brick house on more than half an acre for under $120K and property taxes are around $1000 a year. Okay I am in a very small town but the norm is around $175K for a really nice house in larger cities. If you live on a lake you'll pay a bit more but not $300K. Kentucky has "Land Between the Lakes" and Cumberland Lake which are both nice. I know Arkansas has nice lakes. Tennessee has a couple as well, one North of Chattanooga which is real nice.
Anyway, low or no snow and you still have the seasons.
Just some food for thought

I like NC area also. We have been considering some southern states . Always enjoyed it down there too.

My brother used to live in NC, we used to go visit him quite a bit.
I like that there are still some seasons and more green stuff.

Re: Convince me to move west.

"ko67" said:
Check out the area around frisco or Plano tx. Near Dallas , great house values , lots of great lakes, good public schools , great car shows, good shopping and restaurants, plus, you can see rick's garage queen once a year .

+1. My favorite area in Texas

I have been trying to talk the wife into visiting Texas. Haven't made it there yet.

It's harder to just jump on a plane and go somewhere with a one year old now. But we want to move before she starts school.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

"RapidRabbit" said:
I have been trying to talk the wife into visiting Texas. Haven't made it there yet.

It's harder to just jump on a plane and go somewhere with a one year old now. But we want to move before she starts school.

"ko67" said:

Wherever you decide to move you need to add excellent public schools to your list of no snow, no snow, no snow. :sm_anyone

fd

We have good schools around here with small class sizes. You can also buy acreage all frick'n day long for <$2k/ac as long as you don't want neighbors!

Lot's of blowing snow and sub zero temps though.

Re: Re: Convince me to move west.

&quot;FordDude&quot; said:
Wherever you decide to move you need to add excellent public schools to your list of no snow, no snow, no snow. :sm_anyone

fd
You assume we are bringing her. I was thinking boarding school.

Just kidding. Yes good schools are a must.

Back