• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cool New Tool Thread

So i picked up the baby press from ye ole Harborland. Not impressed with the tool out of the box.

I ended up making a few simple modifications anyone can do in their garage.

First two are important. The main crossbar has two issues i found.

Its a very sloppy/loose fit within the frame. Moves around alot, not good when applying pressure to things. This is easy to address. I grabbed some scrap 2x4 and chopped a wedge out real quick. Hammered into the space on one side and the platform is solid.

The other main issue is friction...or really the lack of. The bar is powdercoated and the press plates are too. Very slippery against each other. That makes them not ideal to use in high pressure applications. I actually solved this by simply putting a piece of duct tape down on the surface of the bar. I used some gorilla glue forever tape i had on hand. Now the plates don't slip around.

The last "upgrade" may not be required for everyone. Throwing the 12 ton jack away. I had a 20 ton bottle jack just sitting around so I easily slipped that right into place. The 12 ton didn't seem to have the oomph I needed.

I also want to note that I replaced the cheap grade 3 hardware away and used grade 8 hardware with what I could find. Only piece I used that concerns me is the bars that hold the plate. But so far no issues. "Knocks on wood"

20240813_085726.jpg

20240813_143452.jpg

I had a scrap 7.3 engine that i pulled the main caps from. Worked great as press plates. Just beveled the sharp edges a bit.

Everything you found slightly wonky about the press is pretty damn accurate. I fixed none of them and have still used the hell out of it without issue. The slipperiness of the supplied plates is annoying and I've often threatened to do something about it but I'm always in the middle of a task and relegate it to later and later never happens! Having a larger jack to swap in laying about was nice but I assure you I doubt you find a task the 12 ton couldn't handle. At least for automotive purposes. At least I haven't yet. The smaller size of the 12 vs the 20 ton units is a real advantage in a home shop, I think.

I tried using the 12 tin jack to press out some wheel bearings. It didn't seem to want to budge at all. Granted these bearings were super Fd and probably original. The 12 ton may have worked but I literally had a 20 ton jack sitting there holding the floor down.

The duct tape is a super easy and quick solution to the slippery surface. It works so effortlessly.

It is a nice size, very convenient to use while sitting.

I’ve had that same press for almost 30 years. Haven’t broken it yet! Does everything I’ve ever needed.

For years I want one too but I don't have the place for it anymore. Workplace is full/loaded.
Grade 3 ? Good thing you used grade 8 IMHO.
Sometimes its handy that the "table" can move a bit .
Those main caps ....good idea !

I found that is part was so uneven/out of flat that I took it to a local machine shop and had it milled flat. Other than that it works fine.
1723619477883.png The picture was taken from above. I'll keep the tape idea in mind.

Back