• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Gertrude is on the road again!!

"Kats66Pny" said:
Ok don't hate... its what they had in stock that could be bought and put on Gert ASAP. Otherwise she'd be stuck with no wheels and no way home.

15x7 in the front w/ 195/65/15
15x10's in the rear w/ 245/60/15 - will need to get flares though because they sure stick way out!

:hide

15x10.jpg
Why not just leave the existing rims on the rear (or did they now magically not fit as well) and order ones to match the front that would actually fit the car? Between the rim and the tire that is going to stick WAY out there. Did you get them to install air shocks too? :sarc

Last edited by a moderator:
"Kats66Pny" said:
Ok don't hate... its what they had in stock that could be bought and put on Gert ASAP. Otherwise she'd be stuck with no wheels and no way home.

15x7 in the front w/ 195/65/15
15x10's in the rear w/ 245/60/15 - will need to get flares though because they sure stick way out!

:hide

15x10.jpg

:puk

I have a set of 12" shackles(free for the shipping) that came my way from a certain green turd in Ca. Looks like you will need them....lol

"Horseplay" said:
Why not just leave the existing rims on the rear (or did they now magically not fit as well) and order ones to match the front that would actually fit the car? Between the rim and the tire that is going to stick WAY out there.
This may be a thought. It looks like the you could add a little more backspacing to suck the wheel in some too. Unless you like the wide body look.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy ... 1=MR302+01

IMO, it would really look unbalanced if you put that wide of a flare in the back, with nothing up front.

NewFrontViewMain.JPG

"lethal289" said:
This may be a thought. It looks like the you could add a little more backspacing to suck the wheel in some too. Unless you like the wide body look.
You can't really move a tire in too much on a 65/66 (I don't know how it compares to later years) as the lower front on the inner wheel house curves in sharply. That one area takes away at least an inch that could be used otherwise. A BFH can be used to gain some of that back but even then a 9" wheel still sticks out quite a bit.

HTH does an alignment cause this?

It's not the alignment that caused it. Its the wheel bearings. Since there was a piece missing the wheel wasn't seated correctly.

As for the rear wheels. I didn't have much say in it. Husband did. I like the wide look but not that wide. lol

"Horseplay" said:
... but even then a 9" wheel still sticks out quite a bit.

Not really.

17x8 front with 4.5" BS ... 17x9 rear with 5" BS

download3.jpg

download1.jpg

download4.jpg

"Kats66Pny" said:
Not really.

17x8 front with 4.5" BS ... 17x9 rear with 5" BS

download3.jpg

download1.jpg

download4.jpg
Yes they will. Actually bolting them on driving makes a difference. Go back to your previous thread asking about wheel sizing or take a look at Dodgestang's chart. There is a reason no one with a 65/66 uses wider than 8" unless they have modified the inner wheel house. Now if you choose to have your wheel stick out, yes you can go wider but you need to invest in spare tires because you will be cutting/damaging them...unless you jack the hell out of it.
Your pics in this post are of what I think was a 17" wheel. That means a low profile tire. On a 15" wheel you will see more of a tire bulge which will stick out even more. Your car, your choice and taste are all that matter. I just wanted to make you aware that you will have issues trying to run with something that wide. If you do plan to have passengers in the rear seat expect major rub.

"AzPete" said:
I have a set of 12" shackles(free for the shipping) that came my way from a certain green turd in Ca. Looks like you will need them....lol

OMG.....You still have them? That is so cool. Sigh......such fond memories:

BeforeD.jpg

"Horseplay" said:
You can't really move a tire in too much on a 65/66 (I don't know how it compares to later years) as the lower front on the inner wheel house curves in sharply. That one area takes away at least an inch that could be used otherwise. A BFH can be used to gain some of that back but even then a 9" wheel still sticks out quite a bit.
I was only mentioning more backspacing in the wheel that is currently on the rear. To me from Kats pic, it looks like there is a lot of room on the inside of the wheel toward the pumpkin, but hey, i only have real experience with a 67, not 65-66. Just trying to learn here; If thats a 10 inch wheel, with 3-4 inchs out past the quarter, wouldn't there be room to move in some (of course with a different wheel)? As you said, 8's should fit.

"classicdoug" said:
If you all think the fuel pump is loud on the video, you should hear it in person. If I were you Kat, I'd go to O'reilly, spend $60 and get a quieter one.

Doug

I went to O'reilly and picked up a Mr. Gasket 12s Fuel pump for my 73 vert, and it is much quieter then the one I was using, in fact you can't hear it over the exhaust at all. I'm a little concerned with the longevity so I'm going to keep my other one on hand (in the trunk with the tools needed!)

I do like these AR Hopsters though. I think they look sexy and not something everyone else has like the TT's. :thu

No one listens to me... :rant Tires too big and figured they would be. The guy at the tire shop picked out the sizes. I guess because I have boobs I don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe next time people will listen to the girl who actually owns and works on the car. :roul

They rub in the front and rear.
Fronts are 195/65
Rear 245/60

Hopster1.jpg

Hopster2.jpg

I have hopsters on my 65. I am running 15x7 and the size of tires is 225/60/15 in rear and 205/60/15 in front. this was done after consulting with Johnpro. He ran the same size on his 66.

The only issue I have is in the rear from my springs since they need to be replaced. IIRC John's rubbed in the rear when there was a full trunk like going to Knotts.

Anyway, use dodgestangs chart. It is a great resourse.

Mel

Anyway, use dodgestangs chart. It is a great resourse

Yeah I looked on there and see folks running 15x7's with 3.75 BS and have either 205,215,225 & either 50 or 60. But don't try to tell tire guys their job and tell them a 195/65 & 245/60 won't work. :roul

Maybe now, this will prove to guys at tire shops that just maybe I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to MY classic mustang. :shrug I doubt it.

Mel......there has been more than 4.5" of bs from you on this site........lol.......just had to add that.

Back