• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Gertrude is on the road again!!

Kat,

A 245 on a 10" rim is not only wrong it is dangerous. The construction of that sidewall is not designed to be splayed out like that. The tire manufacturer themselves would not endorse it on that wide of rim.

I understand what you are saying about money but you have other options. Put your original 14" rears back on and drive home. Take those WRONG 10" wheels back and get the right size (8") and put the right size tires on those rims.

Driving on that set up will end up cutting and shredding those tires. No if, just when. And I predict VERY quickly. I was 18 when I had my first coupe and like any kid I tried to stuff as much tire under it as I could. Lessons learned the hard way.

"Horseplay" said:
Kat,

A 245 on a 10" rim is not only wrong it is dangerous. The construction of that sidewall is not designed to be splayed out like that. The tire manufacturer themselves would not endorse it on that wide of rim.

I understand what you are saying about money but you have other options. Put your original 14" rears back on and drive home. Take those WRONG 10" wheels back and get the right size (8") and put the right size tires on those rims.

Driving on that set up will end up cutting and shredding those tires. No if, just when. And I predict VERY quickly. I was 18 when I had my first coupe and like any kid I tried to stuff as much tire under it as I could. Lessons learned the hard way.

Then I'll sue the tire shop for choosing that wheel/tire combo.

After I pick Gert up, I was gonna drive her over to the tire shop which is like 1 block away, and take the owner up on his offer to put different size tires on the rears. Been email by husband at work and he say's just go get lower profile tires on the back, and then end of March, he'll let me get some 8's. He wants to keep the 10s and put drag radials on them and see what Gert can do on a 1/4 mile. :roul

I like how its MY car and when work has to be done it, no help from him. Oh but when she's actually drivable HE makes all the decisions. :rant

Re: Re: Gertrude is on the road again!!

"Kats66Pny" said:
Then I'll sue the tire shop for choosing that wheel/tire combo.

After I pick Gert up, I was gonna drive her over to the tire shop which is like 1 block away, and take the owner up on his offer to put different size tires on the rears. Been email by husband at work and he say's just go get lower profile tires on the back, and then end of March, he'll let me get some 8's. He wants to keep the 10s and put drag radials on them and see what Gert can do on a 1/4 mile. :roul

I like how its MY car and when work has to be done it, no help from him. Oh but when she's actually drivable HE makes all the decisions. :rant

Kat, don't take this the wrong way.
It is your car.
I would reconsider that wheel/tire combo too. Are your kids going to be riding in gert? Is it worth jeopardizing their or your safety if that tire fails? A blowout on the highway can end up deadly.

I know how bad you want to get her on road. I'm in the same boat. But I would switch that rim out now even if it means you have to wait a little. Just my 2 cents.

I know it's my car but what can I do when the person holding the wallet says/does/wants something his way. :shrug

Kids won't be riding in Gert for a while. I only have a drivers seat and backseat. No passenger seat. No one can ride in it but ME and damnit I like it that way!!

"Kats66Pny" said:
I know it's my car but what can I do when the person holding the wallet says/does/wants something his way. :shrug
Have him read this post. It is NOT worth the risk for you to go down this path.

"cmayna" said:
Have him read this post. It is NOT worth the risk for you to go down this path.

I copied/pasted replies and emailed it.

I'm about to find out if there's any truth to the whole 'better to ask for forgiveness than for permission' :hide and just say :censored it and take the 10s back and order 8's.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I copied/pasted replies and emailed it.

I'm about to find out if there's any truth to the whole 'better to ask for forgiveness than for permission' :hide and just say :censored it and take the 10s back and order 8's.

Seriousely. Just do that. It's the right thing to do.

Well called the tire place and he said I could take back the 10s and get the two other 7's he has in stock OR he can try to order 8's. He said call him back in about 15 minutes. He's gonna call and see if he can get some 8's.

So I can either go 7's all the way around or 7s in the front and 8's in the rear. Obviously 7's are a little cheaper and he has them in stock right now, but 8's would give her a little more booty. :confu

"Kats66Pny" said:
Well called the tire place and he said I could take back the 10s and get the two other 7's he has in stock OR he can try to order 8's. He said call him back in about 15 minutes. He's gonna call and see if he can get some 8's.

So I can either go 7's all the way around or 7s in the front and 8's in the rear. Obviously 7's are a little cheaper and he has them in stock right now, but 8's would give her a little more booty. :confu
Glad to hear! Depending on BS the 7's should sit in the same depth so looking at it you wouldn't really see a difference between the 7 and 8. The tread you can fit on a 7" wheel will also handle any power your engine is putting down to the pavement as well.
If you do go to the 8" rim and try to max the tire size you will probably still need to use a BFH on the lower inner wheel houses in the rear and if you haven't already, roll those quarter openings.

The other 7's he has are the exact same one's I have on my front. 15x7 with 3.75" BS

My husband's gonna kill me. If ya'll don't hear from me in a few days... send out a search & rescue group. :skul

7's fit very well on a 66... Mine has a Versailles axle and I cut the tire with a 7 (before I rolled lips) Those 10's will be shredded before you get home

"Kats66Pny" said:
I know it's my car but what can I do when the person holding the wallet says/does/wants something his way.

Cross your legs for a week and make him cook his own dinner!!

Sitting at tire shop now. I went ahead and gave back the 10s and bought the two other 7s. I know those will work and I'm done messing around wasting time with wheel/tire combos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kat,
I think I can speak on behalf of most here by saying :thu for taking the right direction in getting this resolved. Your car says thanks as well.

I'm a little peeved.

I sat around and waited at the tire shop only to learn they goofed. They actually sold those other two 7's and even if they hadn't, they were the wrong bolt pattern and wouldn't have worked anyway. So they said they can order them but since its a custom made offset (or something like that) it would take 3 weeks to get them. :wtf I had them refund me the cost of the 10s and tires. I'll see if I can't find some 7's on Ebay or something.

So I put the 14's back on the rear. She looks even more stupid now but if anyone gives me crap over it, I'll just be like, yeah those are temporary street wheels. My drags are at home. lol

Anyway... I DROVE GERTRUDE HOME! :yah The guys said I can bring her back tomorrow, day after, next week or even 6 months from now if the alignment needs some more tweaking. No charge.

The looks I got driving her home.. PRICELESS! I even had one guy catch up with me at a stop light and heard him screaming over Gerts loud exhaust, asking me what year and complimented me. :thu I think I'm the happiest person on the planet right now. LOL

Back