• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How Many Active Stangfix Members???

"bravenrace" said:
I was just thinking. I try to have sex once or twice a year. Does that qualify as "active"? :confu

Over achiever!

I have no idea what I am doing most of the time. So, I only post when I need help.

I check on the forums generally every day but, seems like most of the time it's just a lot of political talk.

And something is still wrong with my carburetor.

I'll be back tomorrow.

"GTchris" said:
I check on the forums generally every day but, seems like most of the time it's just a lot of political talk.
Hey! We occasionally reference an owl or post a pic of a pretty girl too.

"GTchris" said:
I have no idea what I am doing most of the time. So, I only post when I need help.

And something is still wrong with my carburetor.

I'll be back tomorrow.

Damn man, stop f'ing around with that carb and send it to Duane. He's the resident carb genie!

OK, at my peril I will offer some "outsider" observations:

I check in here maybe every week or two. When I click on "unread posts" probably 50% or more are about something other than mustangs. This is almost as bad a ratio as the mustangsandmore site.

There is very much a club atmosphere here with a lot of inside jokes. Having said that I find much of the humor here very entertaining.

So why do I even bother coming around? Because many of the great mustang minds of VMF defected here and there is a great wealth of mustang knowledge available. And I like a good laugh. Well, that and the Daily Thong thread.

Going back into the shadows now.

TommyK

"TommyK" said:
So why do I even bother coming around? Because many of the great mustang minds of VMF defected here and there is a great wealth of mustang knowledge available.

Does that include me???

"TommyK" said:

I check in here maybe every week or two. When I click on "unread posts" probably 50% or more are about something other than mustangs. This is almost as bad a ratio as the mustangsandmore site.

There is very much a club atmosphere here with a lot of inside jokes. Having said that I find much of the humor here very entertaining.

So why do I even bother coming around? Because many of the great mustang minds of VMF defected here and there is a great wealth of mustang knowledge available. And I like a good laugh. Well, that and the Daily Thong thread.

TommyK

What I find amusing about this (and it's said all the time about this place) is that maybe only the great minds (myself excluded) migrated here and since we (excluding myself) know everything (well mostly) about our old crap cans, there's just not that much discussion until a newb shows up. Until then, we talk about normal everyday life stuff. I will guarantee that if a serious question gets asked, it surely will get answered.
If people want more Mustang related questions/posts, then get more newbs to come on in and ask! Just be prepared for the inside jokes. You could always ask what this :Mark means or :gs or :shee or :wald or

:wop

This place is just a large, world wide, extended, dysfunctional group of loons.

"TommyK" said:

TommyK

I think you make good points. Even though I haven't posted much here until recently, and don't actually know many of the people, I'm familiar with a lot of them from the many years I participated on the VMF. If it wasn't for that, I'm not sure I'd stick around because of the lack of actual Mustang talk and all of inside jokes, many of which I don't get either. Silverblue makes a good observation that this is likely due to most people here already knowing pretty much everything about these cars (they aren't really all that complicated). But if a newby comes in and observes for a while and all he reads are threads on thongs, politics and inside jokes, why would he stay (well, except for the thongs)? Mark says get more newbies to come in, and that's great, but maybe we should talk about the best ways to do that (if that is in fact what people want), because I really don't see this forum as presenting itself as a place that welcomes newbies. I don't mean that the people aren't friendly, but it does seem like a good old boys club, and that usually turns outsiders off.
That said, I really like this place. There's none of that whiney little school girl bickering you get on other forums. The information here can be safely assumed to be more accurate than on other Mustangs sites I've experienced. My only complaint is that there isn't more activity in the Mustang related areas.

"bravenrace" said:
I think you make good points. Even though I haven't posted much here until recently, and don't actually know many of the people, I'm familiar with a lot of them from the many years I participated on the VMF. If it wasn't for that, I'm not sure I'd stick around because of the lack of actual Mustang talk and all of inside jokes, many of which I don't get either. Silverblue makes a good observation that this is likely due to most people here already knowing pretty much everything about these cars (they aren't really all that complicated). But if a newby comes in and observes for a while and all he reads are threads on thongs, politics and inside jokes, why would he stay (well, except for the thongs)? Mark says get more newbies to come in, and that's great, but maybe we should talk about the best ways to do that (if that is in fact what people want), because I really don't see this forum as presenting itself as a place that welcomes newbies. I don't mean that the people aren't friendly, but it does seem like a good old boys club, and that usually turns outsiders off.
I think you are missing the whole point of why so many people have decided to call this home rather than some other forum. Aside from the wealth of knowledge of the members here, this is just a great group of people from all corners and walks of life who happen to share a common bond...and yes one or two inside jokes. I guess it might appear as a "good ole' boy club" but if anyone spends a little time here it becomes quite apparent that the club is very inclusive. Just look at some of the new "regulars" that have been accepted in! I'm quite sure their own families don't talk to them.

I've found no other forum where talk can go from some very technical aspect of a build to the latest salmon recipe in the blink of an eye. Yes there has been quite a bit of political discussion but it has its place and no one has to venture there if its not their cup of tea. If you want a place to go for black and white, one flavor only mustang material, there are other places you can go but I honestly don't know why one would. Most appreciate a chuckle along with that elusive solution.

I guess the bottom line is if you just are looking for guidance on a project you can't find a better place to get it but isn't the best part of this hobby hanging out with others with like interests and sharing it with them? I have not met a single member on here in person but feel like many here can be counted as friends. I think that says everything you need to know about this place. That and there are some really messed up people here. But who doesn't have that in their family?

"GTchris" said:
Yeah, I suppose it was.

Who is Duane by the way?

Duane (blue65coupe) is the resident carb rebuilder. He's rebuilt his carb at least a dozen times.

OK, so maybe it's another one of those "inside" jokes...sue me.

"bravenrace" said:
Mark says get more newbies to come in, and that's great, but maybe we should talk about the best ways to do that (if that is in fact what people want), because I really don't see this forum as presenting itself as a place that welcomes newbies.
A couple very important points.

1. Nobody here listens to anything :Mark says.
2. If we are targeting gaining newbies I vote for ones with boobs.

Back