• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I get to drive Gertrude by Wednesday!!!!

Kats66Pny

Some of my husbands extra money hit the bank a little while ago.. so I can now go get her exhaust put back on and alignment done! :yah

Unfortunately I need to bleed the brakes again and figure out a way to bolt at least the drivers seat on so if they have to test drive it for alignment they can. Dangit, I just wanna have her towed to get exhaust and alignment done now! :rant

Ok enough wasting time.. off to the garage I go!! Faster I start on it, sooner I can drive her!!

Congrads, just make sure the seat is bolted in firmly (don't ask me how I know). :thu

I'll get those seat tracks into the mail tomorrow. I'm getting one of those flat rate boxes to stick 'em in today.

I got one seat in. Drivers seat, and since I don't have tracks right now... it's temporarily bolted directly to the seat pan. OMFG that was a pain in the butt trying to line up the holes! :roul But at least there is a seat so it can be test driven!!

Never fricking mind. :rant

We bled the brakes, tried starting her and nothing. Dead silence. :shrug Interior lights work, gauge lights, headlights. I hooked the fuel pump wire directly to the back of the ignition (gave up on a kill switch right now) and if you turned the key to run, the fuel pump kicked on, but when you went all the way to start .. nothing. Dead silence. Oh and the fuel pump shut off when key went to start.

Unhooked the fuel pump wire... still dead. :wtf

I checked all the grounds. Checked to make sure everything was connected. The ignition cylinder is brand new. Was thinking maybe bad ignition cylinder and that maybe taking that one out and putting back the old one might solve the issue?

I don't have a neutral safety switch. Would that be the issue? I never had one on the car but the PO did some hellacious wiring on her. Maybe he somehow bypassed the neutral switch?

Did you check how many volts you are getting at the battery? Could just be a low battery and the fuel pump shuts off when you draw on the battery to start the engine???

Did you check how many volts you are getting at the battery? Could just be a low battery and the fuel pump shuts off when you draw on the battery to start the engine???

I removed the fuel pump wire and tried starting it without the fuel pump and it did nothing. Was still dead.

You will need to by-pass the NSS if you haven't

How do I do that? :confu

"Midlife" said:
For manual trannys, the blue/red NSS harness is not used; instead, the wires get jumpered just short of the firewall plug inside the passenger compartment.
those blue/red wires need to be jumped or plugged together
IMG_5134.jpg

just be aware that IT WILL START IN GEAR!!!

Have you tried to turn the key to on and start it by jumpering it at the starter solenoid? Make sure the car is in park or neutral when you do this.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I hooked the fuel pump wire directly to the back of the ignition (gave up on a kill switch right now) and if you turned the key to run, the fuel pump kicked on, but when you went all the way to start .. nothing. Dead silence. Oh and the fuel pump shut off when key went to start.

There are certain wires that are hot when the key is in the on and start position, and some are hot when the key is one, but not when turned to start. But there shouldn't be an issue, there should be enough fuel in the carb to start it and then the pump will kick on when the key gets to the on position.

those blue/red wires need to be jumped or plugged together

That did nothing. Still dead silent.

Have you tried to turn the key to on and start it by jumpering it at the starter solenoid? Make sure the car is in park or neutral when you do this.

Haven't tried that. I'll try that tomorrow.

Before you try anything else, take the time to check all your wire connections one more time. Odds are something is hooked up wrong as you have replaced most components with new. There are not too many things it can be so it shouldn't take too long to find the problem.

"Fast68back" said:
Try putting the car in neutral
She already jumped the NSS.

Kat, take a good look at how you have the ALT/solenoid wired. Once upon a time I wired something wrong there in haste and it caused exactly what you are describing.

"Horseplay" said:

Kat, take a good look at how you have the ALT/solenoid wired. Once upon a time I wired something wrong there in haste and it caused exactly what you are describing.

Could be a bad SOLENOID. My 64 1/2 did this. I started it by jumping across the post and the next time I started it, everything was okay.

"Horseplay" said:

This is a good point. Check the solenoid for the proper side. I mean be sure the battery side is hooked to the battery and the starter side is hooked to the starter. If for some reason it is reversed it could act as you describe. Also, you have a late model 5.0, do you have a mini starter or the late model starter? They are not wired the same as the 66 starter and if you replaced all the wires to an original configuration, the late model starter won't work.

Attachments

• mini-starter wiring diagram.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 79
  • mini Starter Wiring.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 77
Before you try anything else, take the time to check all your wire connections one more time. Odds are something is hooked up wrong as you have replaced most components with new. There are not too many things it can be so it shouldn't take too long to find the problem.

Yeah, you're right. It's got to be something related to the stuff I replaced/changed. :confu

Things I changed or replaced since the last time i started it. That narrows it down!! :hide

Brand new solenoid
Brand new alternator
All new wiring harnesses
New ignition switch
Removed all the kill switches except for the battery

Also, you have a late model 5.0, do you have a mini starter or the late model starter?

I'm not sure what's on there. :shrug I just know it worked previously before I replaced the wiring.

Back