• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I get to drive Gertrude by Wednesday!!!!

The more important question is: do your headlights still work and function properly?

"Kats66Pny" said:
I had the two cables (battery and starter) on the solenoid on the wrong sides. I had the temp gauge wire on the coil and the coil wire on the temp gauge. So overall, I don't think I did that bad of a job putting in the wiring.... for being a GIRL! :roll

Doug also hooked up my fuel pump so it turns on/off when you turn the key. :thu

Tomorrow they are going to go over the brakes.

Yup!!! :yah
Like I said, it couldn't be that tough to figure out. Just remember, the best way to learn this stuff is through the frustrations and joys for fixing this stuff yourself. It's not rocket science and you are more than capable if you give yourself the chance.

Glad they got it worked out for you.

I had the two cables (battery and starter) on the solenoid on the wrong sides.

I gotta think about this. It seems to me that if you put all of the live feeds on the back post where the starter normally goes, and the starter wire on the front post (where the battery stuff normally goes), the car should still crank, provided the solenoid works as a simple switch. It probably needs the front post to be energized as a relay, though, in which case no cranking would be allowed.

Crap....Midlife is thinking now.....I thought I saw smoke from the north part of town.

Which headlights....we need pics of all in proper function....

On the fuel pump, with it wired the way it is, add an inline switch hidden for security. Leave the switch on for most of your driving....off when parked and you want a touch of security.

"RustyRed" said:
Sounds like you need to purchase the electrical assembly manual, just sayin :roll

or just let a MAN work on it.

"AzPete" said:
Crap....Midlife is thinking now.....I thought I saw smoke from the north part of town.
That's the clandestine distillery in operation, you twit.

"Midlife" said:
I gotta think about this. It seems to me that if you put all of the live feeds on the back post where the starter normally goes, and the starter wire on the front post (where the battery stuff normally goes), the car should still crank, provided the solenoid works as a simple switch. It probably needs the front post to be energized as a relay, though, in which case no cranking would be allowed.

I agree Midlife. I've never see it like this, but I have seen these solenoids mounted "upside down" in some other cars. If you would mount this solenoid upside down (compared to how us Mustang owners are used to seeing them), then the wires would be on the "correct" side.

One of the first things I did after fixing the solenoid connections is check the power to the coil. The test light was blinking. I know the only thing that causes a "blink" in a Mustang is the turn signal blinker, the headlight circuit breaker, and the instrument voltage regulator. As soon as I saw that, I remembered Kat saying the coil wire wasn't long enough to reach the passenger side of the motor. Bingo. Swap the wire on the temp sender and the coil and she runs like a top.

On another note, considering she has never restored a car, Kat is doing a great job with it. I'm impressed since the last time I saw it. She'll have to watch out. This car has a very healthy engine.

Doug

"Kats66Pny" said:
I had the two cables (battery and starter) on the solenoid on the wrong sides. I had the temp gauge wire on the coil and the coil wire on the temp gauge. So overall, I don't think I did that bad of a job putting in the wiring.... for being a GIRL! :roll

Doug also hooked up my fuel pump so it turns on/off when you turn the key. :thu

Tomorrow they are going to go over the brakes.

Yup!!! :yah
that was one of my suggestions to check, to make sure the solenoid was wired right. I would have never thought about the temp and coil mix up though...
Kat, I'm impressed. I would have liked to see you stick it out and fix it but you are doing great girl or otherwise. I seen a lot guys make worse mistakes and not be big enough to admit it.

This is why I goofed. This is a before picture I took a with the POs messy wiring. The red battery cable was on the left and black one to the starter was on the right.
IMG_4318.jpg

and even on this diagram it shows starter/right and battery/left!
http://midlife66.com/wiring/66ignit.jpg

Probably would have taken me weeks to figure out the solenoid was backwards. :Katcof

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, maybe I'm missing something, but I've gotta go with Mid's reservation. The solenoid is a simple relay, it doesn't matter which terminal the batt / starter cables are connected to. OTOH, it does matter if the S/I terminals are switched.

At any rate, glad it's going now.

"apollard" said:
Uh, maybe I'm missing something, but I've gotta go with Mid's reservation. The solenoid is a simple relay, it doesn't matter which terminal the batt / starter cables are connected to. OTOH, it does matter if the S/I terminals are switched.

At any rate, glad it's going now.
+1

I just spent damn near a hour trying to figure that one out. Went over every schematic I could find. I couldn't find an old solenoid or I would have gone as far as breaking it open to clear it up.

There are solenoids that use the batt terminal for power, and ground the coil to activate (Mercruiser uses one on some boats). One those, it would matter. But, the Ford solenoid isn't one of them; on the Ford solenoid the activation coil & batt/starter cable terminals are not connected.

The reason I suggested it is because I did it once. It would not crank. I don't know why but if they are switched around it won't work.

"tarafied1" said:
The reason I suggested it is because I did it once. It would not crank. I don't know why but if they are switched around it won't work.
If someone has an old one they would be willing to crack open and supply some pics I would appreciate it. We could put this to rest that way.

"Horseplay" said:
If someone has an old one they would be willing to crack open and supply some pics I would appreciate it. We could put this to rest that way.

I have my old one that I removed because one of the posts broke.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I have my old one that I removed because one of the posts broke.
If you don't mind, break it open (trying not to destroy the inner connections) and post a few pics of the internal wiring/connections.

I'll try but I don't see how to open it without breaking something. lol

And omg... I might drive Gert by Friday! :pbj :yah :wor

Yeah, I'm just a little excited. :roll Of course with my luck, something will go wrong and she won't be drivable. Watch the transmission not shift right or something. LOL

Back