• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I get to drive Gertrude by Wednesday!!!!

Yes a mini starter is wired up differently than a regular starter. Mini on the bottom.

4_04_04_10_2_05_15.jpg

I don't think I have a mini starter. I don't recall having that many wires coming from it.

I'm about to say heck with it and just take it somewhere and say "here.. make it run again and fix my brakes too!" :roul

"Fast68back" said:
Did you have the ignition out of the car?

The ignition switch/cylinder? or the coil?

Switch/Cylinder is brand new. I replaced my old one with a new one.
The coil is the same one I had, MSD one.. and it was disconnected and relocated.

On the starter solenoid, do you have 12 volts on the "s" terminal when you are cranking? If you have 12 volts there, then it's probably either the solenoid or the starter.

I'm not messing with. I know when I've been defeated. I'm waiting for my tow truck friend to come over this morning and we're towing it to classicdoug's shop (same place I got my cowl done at) and I'm going to have them fix it and make it run again. :thu

Have you checked the battery?

A somewhat dead battery can have enough juice to power the lights and not the ignition....especially if it's been sitting for a while.

Make sure you're not over thinking it and check the very basic stuff.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I'm not messing with. I know when I've been defeated. I'm waiting for my tow truck friend to come over this morning and we're towing it to classicdoug's shop (same place I got my cowl done at) and I'm going to have them fix it and make it run again. :thu
Quitter!

Seriously, why spend the cash when you need it for so many other things? Taken step by step this is not that difficult a problem to figure out. You can do it.

Gertrude is gone. She's at the shop. They are going to get it running again and check over my brakes. Last night after we bled all the brakes, some of the lines were leaking pretty bad.

I'd rather spend the money and have pro's check over everything before I even attempt to drive it. Makes me feel safer.

"Kats66Pny" said:
.. and Gertrude runs again! :yah I kind of had some wiring hooked up wrong. :roll

Nooooooo

We expected no less, you being a woman and all.

:hide

Kat, Let us know what the problem was. So....in a couple days you'll be looking like your avatar?

I had the two cables (battery and starter) on the solenoid on the wrong sides. I had the temp gauge wire on the coil and the coil wire on the temp gauge. So overall, I don't think I did that bad of a job putting in the wiring.... for being a GIRL! :roll

Doug also hooked up my fuel pump so it turns on/off when you turn the key. :thu

Tomorrow they are going to go over the brakes.

So....in a couple days you'll be looking like your avatar?

Yup!!! :yah

"Kats66Pny" said:
I had the two cables (battery and starter) on the solenoid on the wrong sides. I had the temp gauge wire on the coil and the coil wire on the temp gauge. So overall, I don't think I did that bad of a job putting in the wiring.... for being a GIRL! :roll

Sounds like you need to purchase the electrical assembly manual, just sayin :roll

Back