• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My newest project, '59 Apache Truck

Possible seats ; )

Hi! On the http://67-72chevytrucks.com/ site, there's a guy named Orrie that put a set of 3rd row seats from a Tahoe in his truck. These are really cool seats as they have the shoulder harnesses built into the seats! So, these are 3 that aren't too far away. Once I choose one, I can figure out the interior color. I forgot about possibly dying the material, like a darker tan, but I don't know how the dye holds up over time. So if I went with the Tan, I could use that darker color for the inside of the cab! I'm not an interior decorator but I think whatever I do will probably be just fine! I need to order some parts today, so I can get that radio piece and start weldiing it into place. I'll be posting as I go along, babysittting all week long, so progress will be nill, but I love my grandaughter! omg, she is full of awesomeness! ; ) :yah

I have been searching the net for a motor/tranny, so keep me posted is you know of a motor/tranny!
dne'

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2423852590.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/2401226170.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2420098028.html

As far as the engine, I vote carbed 5.3 LS1 either with coilpacks and an MSD, or a Ford 302 distributor conversion. You can pick up a fairly low miles engine with a wiring fire for for $300. Junk all the smelted EFI crap and you're in bizzness.

That color is seriously baddarse, looks like HoK Candy Brandywine or something...which is basically what I want to paint my mustang. :weas

A Chebbie truck? WTF? Who'd ever own one of them.

TruckatStanford.jpg

Hey Craig......since the oil line blew, you parking it in the field to "restore" some day...........to become a barn find for someone....

Sorry, but I'll sell the Mustangs before I sell the chebbie truck. It's back up and running like a typical chic magnet.

The doner car

Ok, I've been searching for a motor/tranny for my chebby~ CL saves the day again! A nice guy out in Alvin has a large shop where he restores classics as a hobby, and he had bought this '72 Impala from a guy just down the street as this guys mother had passed away. He picked up the impala to use the motor, or everything he can from this car for a possible project. However, a friend of his informed him that I was looking for a motor setup, so he said he can always find another, so he sold me the car for 1000.oo. It has 42k miles on it. He also took me on a tour of his shop and current projects~ really neat! He also had a '59 Apache fleetside and he showed me some things to do on my apache. He said I should try to use everything possible from the impala into my truck including the entire AC system. So, my brother and I will go get it sometime later this week and put it at Moms until I'm ready to start the disassembly process on it. The guy said it drives fine and just to drive it home, but I'm not so keen on driving it 60 miles across Houston! So I may look into a wrecker or wheel dolly instead. I said he can have my 230 motor and 4 speed tranny~ he said he may could use it somewhere down the line. One thing I'm going to run into is, how do I get rid of the old car when I'm done?
dne'

newmotor.jpg

Yep...just be sure to get a title.....if not, you may end up having to cut the car into small scrap metal. Sounds like a good deal. If the body is any good, put it on CL again.

Sweet deal Dne'!!! Looks like things are really starting to come together! :thu

One little recommendation, maker sure you have EVERYTHING you want/need off of the donor car before you start looking into getting rid of it..including any measurements you may eventually need (e.g. mounting point locations, widths and such). I realize you'll be doing a totally different application entirely for the donor parts, but you may save yourself time and trouble by having something to work from when you modify or fab for the truck to accept the various changes.

"AzPete" said:
If the body is any good, put it on CL again.
Absolutely. You need and can get a good chunk of your money back by selling off the shell. $1000 is a steep price for a used engine and tranny you have to pull! Sell off the other engine and tranny as well. As a matter of fact, do that now so you can allow buyers hear it run, if possible.

you guys are great! ; )
I called Sylvester(the guy that sold me the car) last night after I had read what Pete said. I asked him about the title and he said he has the title, but then I was asking what to do with the body of the car after I'm through with it, he said he could come get the body and he would just put it amongst his many other cars he has. He says just never know when someone may need a part. Plus he's going to deliver the car to me this week, thurs or Friday to Moms(about 60 miles one way). I was going to drive it, but didn't think it would be wise driving it so far across Houston. One thing I failed to mention, he's heavy into Mustang restorations! He has about 15 mustangs in desperate need of restoration in a corner of his lot. He told me he just gets to em one at a time. I'm so excited just meeting him! he took me on a mini tour of his collection, I wish I had taken more photos! I told him I may come out to his shop sometime to "hang out" watch, ask questions, etc. He said sure! It's crazy all of the classics he has in various parts of his storage garages! He said he just hates to see old cars rotting/rusting away in someone's yard~ knowing he can put em back in decent shape! He has many years worth of "projects".
This is my newest car, my doner! lol That's his son airing up a tire on it. This kid knows more about classics than I do! How neat to have a child so interetesd in the sweetest years of our nation! And that is Sylvester to the left of the photo~ boy he has a Tan! I know the car itself isn't that pretty to look at, but I'm not looking at the car! lol
mynewcar.jpg

These are just a teeny tiny part of his shop! Everyone here would be super jealous of his layout! That's him again leaving over in the front of the yellow chevy.

This Mustang had just been painted recently, still had a ways to go on it, but I'm sure he'll get to it.
mustang.jpg

Another55.jpg

chevy55.jpg

armytruck.jpg

A grill you say!!

Rob, how nice of you to think of me!! I do need a grill! At first I thought he may have been asking a little too much, but a new grill,parking light, and Bezel: 289 for the grill, each parking light is 46.oo each, and the bezel for the parking light is 32.oo each, and then the piddling stuff like screws is another 10-15.oo, so this isn't too bad a deal ; )
I just called and left a message, then sent a text message with a photo of the "BEAST" lol
I'll let you know what happens! Thank you again!! :thu

Update! just got off the phone with "Steven", the owner of the grill~ you meet the most interesting people throughout the vintage/classic car network! He restores Honda '90's from long ago~ and makes a decent living. He bought this grill 25 years ago for his truck, but he had a GmC, and or course you don't put a Chevy on a GMC~ lol So it's been up on his garage wall for a long time! He's checking on shipping right now~ looks like I may have grill Rob@!!! :wor
dne'

Well, I guess the guy with the grill isn't going to call me back~ oh well, still waiting on getting my doner car~ The guy said he'd deliver, but I guess i'm going to have to drag my brother out there and drive it back! 180 is just a little more than I want to pay for a wrecker.

in the meantime, I've been working on modifying my hoyer lift for general lifting around my garage. I fabricated a new arm that is adjustable and able to reach my tires. in the photo it's picking up two wheels/tires! don't underestimate this little crane, the back end of it where the up/down thing is weighs about 80lbs, makes for a decent counterbalance!

ok, just spoke with the man with the impala, my brother and I are going out there Tuesday to drive it home! omg, that should be fun~ :roll

hoyerliftmodified.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice lift mod for sure.

Take pics of the picking up and drive home of the donor.....

You got it Pete! Should be fun in a strange way of thinkin! :steer Gives good quality time between me and my brother :wor!

"AzPete" said:
Nice lift mod for sure.

Take pics of the picking up and drive home of the donor.....

"Dne'" said:
Well, I guess the guy with the grill isn't going to call me back~

I wonder if he saw your phone number and thought it was spam since your a little ways away?? Its still must be for sale, he relisted a day or two back. Would you like me to give a call and check it out for ya?

I thought I had learned from my mustang project, not to make as many mistakes on the Apache from a money standpoint! I think we all try to do our projects as best we can at the least amount of money leaving our savings account.

I ask you as my friends as ya'll kind of know me from a Stangfix point of view. Is this Imapa~ is it going to be a mistake? It sounded good when he cranked it up, no funny/deep rumbling noises, no knocking, cranked right up, exhaust has a hole it making it noisey. But ran smoothly. I wouldn't plan to chrome it out like my mustang, I want it to look just like it is in the photo, but "new" all painted. It's an earlier model tranny and I was thinking to let my tranny friend overhaul it while it's out. I would be using the rear axle too, actually I'd use anything/everything I could possibly use(steering column, the ac system). Opinions?

66gt350, regarding the grill~ I'll call him again later this morning, however we all know how pictures can take away from what it may really look like. broken studs, pitted rust. I spoke with him for at least 45 minutes, I thought sure I'd get a call back for either a yay or nay to ship it! A total new grill with everything from LMC truck is about 425.-450.oo free shipping, so his price even with shipping may have been a pretty good price even if the grill had a few cosmetic defects from time/deterioration. However, if you're not far from him and it wouldn't inconvience you, I'd be quite grateful for you to actually see it and inspect it. I have so much to do before I even get to that point that it doesn't concern me too much, but I dare not pass a good deal. So say 200 for the grill and another 100 for shipping, would that still be a good deal? :confu
dne'

Back