• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Sad news! War takes Fixer!

What can I say ?
I feel not good after reading this.
I only knew Sam through this forum and as you all know, you try to imagine a face/a personnallity after all the comments ones is typing to a surtain topic , whatever this topic is about.
I have/had always a good feeling when I read Sam's comments or questions.
I didn't know he was so young but sounded like a real, down to earth , man.A man of his words.A real friend.
I wish I could express myself alot better but I think you all know what I mean.
My prayers are with his family and expeccially to his two sons.
Hope the two boys can cope the loss of their father .
Rest in peace Sam

so sad. I had spoken to him numerous times when I was deployed and when I gotten home . He was a awesome man. true terrible loss

I haven't been logging much lately but i have been really saddened when i logged on just now and saw this tragic news.

There are certain people on this forum that have been key in helping me restore my Mustang and Sam was one of the those people. I bought my car with the basic panels for a fold down seat conversion and he talked me through everything i needed to do to convert my car, all the parts i needed, the whole process. He answered all my dumb ass question which no doubt he has answered 100 times before and never once did i even get the slightest sense of impatience. Once we had figured out which parts i needed Sam went and sourced all the parts for me, boxed them up and shipped them to me. I really cannot begin to explain how much of a gent he was.

I am sitting here in my office in Ireland and right in front of me are the parts Sam himself sent to me.

7b6074c9.jpg

I was emailing Sam on the 25th November....he said in his email "I'm in Afghanistsn about to head out for a while" I honestly did not think that was the last time i would ever hear from Sam.

This songs sums up my mood right now

http://youtu.be/6i8264L8-N4

RIP Sam. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Last edited by a moderator:
"cmayna" said:
And here's Sam's rear fold down seat website. A link worthy to keep for us with fastbacks.

http://www.folddownseat.com/

Owning a coupe, I'd never been to that site. Took a look today, and this brought tears to my eyes (again):
You know, I often see dedications that are made to those who are no longer with us. Here's something different:

This site is dedicated to my Dad, who taught me everything I know about Mustangs and turning wrenches. Dad's still kicking, and hopefully we have many, many more Mustang projects to do together.

Thank you Dad, I love you.

You know, it just occurred to me that guests can not see this post. You have to be a member and be logged in to see grumpy and politics.

Someone move it to gum flappers please. I'm on my phone through tapatalk and can't do it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

RIP Sam. My thought and prayers go out to his friends and family. War really hits home at times like this.

For those that attended the services, thanks for representing those of us that couldn't make it. I hate attending services because it's one of the times I usually end up bawling like a baby. I would have willingly done so in this case.

A big thanks also to the all the folks involved in closing the site down today for Sam's services and the artwork that was posted in it's place. I know it was a team effort.

Usually I end up with a WTF?! when I log in to find a site down. Not today. I just quietly closed the page down and smiled a little with a tear forming, knowing Sam would have appreciated it.

RIP Sam.

"lethal289" said:
What happens to that info now? I imagine before long the gremlins will get that info, and its domain. A real shame.

I think Sam did that with his dad. He may keep it going.

Sluggo, your tribute today was very stirring and most appropriate. Thanks for taking the time to let the "E" world know about Sam.

"lethal289" said:
What happens to that info now? I imagine before long the gremlins will get that info, and its domain. A real shame.

Wonder if after an appropriate amount of time maybe it could be discussed with the family if they are going to keep it up. If not maybe the information could be archived with stangfix as a sticky to retain the information.

"beach pony" said:
Sluggo, your tribute today was very stirring and most appropriate. Thanks for taking the time to let the "E" world know about Sam.

+1

I just returned home from the funeral services and have a few updates to this thread.

It was a beautiful day here and I arrived at the church approx. an hour before the services began. Stretching my legs in the quickly filling parking lot I was about to head inside when Sam's '68 pulled in. The car was pulled in on a dolly by a crew of MCA members from the local Mustang club as the carbuerator had "gummed up" a little and they felt better towing it. I looked the car over and couldn't find even the lightest flaw. Sam obviously did a great job with the restoration and I assume that the local Mustang club guys gave the car a quick clean-up over the weekend. Good on them.

The service began at 11AM sharp and the large church was almost at full capacity. Several speakers gave eulogies; his mom, his dad, his sister (there wasn't a dry eye in the house when his sister finished), the best man from his wedding, his NROTC Commander, his Pastor and one of the Staff Non-Commissioned Officers (SNCO) from his unit.

I'd like to share here one of the highlights from the SNCO's eulogy. The Staff Sergeant read a couple of emails he'd received from the Marines who were serving with Sam during this last deployment. Guys that were with Sam last week when things went bad. Likely some of the Marines seen with Sam in the link below. One of the emails was from a young Sergeant, if I remember correctly it was his Weapons Sergeant. This Marine went on to describe the events that led up to Sam's death, and I'll do my best to remember all of the details correctly.

Background info. Understand that what separates Marine pilots from NAVY and Air Force pilots is Close Air Support (CAS). Above all else, it is the mission of the Marine pilot to provide CAS to his Marine brothers on the ground. After a few years of operational training/exercises/qualifications an "average" Marine pilot could fire a rocket/drop a bomb on your neighbors house, demolishing it, and leave your house completely untouched. This is the trust that exists between Marine Air and Ground forces. Honing this process, the Marine Corps places seasoned pilots alongside the ground forces to aid in the deployment of CAS While Sam had been an F/A-18 Pilot, he within the last few years took on this Marine Corps collateral duty that took him away from flying and put him on the ground with the troops. His mission as a Forward Air Command Officer (FACO) integrated him and a small detail of Marines into ground units to aide in the deployment of Close Air Support (CAS). FACO's and their supporting ANGLICO Teams can't and don't make mistakes.... or they could be the ones receiving the "death from above".

Alright, back to the Weapons Sergeant. Marine ground forces began to enter a small town in Helmund Province AFG last Tuesday. The Sergeant was walking along the road leading into the town when automatic weapons fire erupted from the town. He jumped in the nearest ditch and began returning fire. Bullets were whizzing by him and kicking up the ground around him. Safely back in the rear.... where FACO's are supposed to be.... Sam watched the battle unfold via computer screen through the "eyes in the sky" drone aircraft. He could see his forward Marines and also see the enemy firing positions. When the exchange quieted down the Marines rallied back to the command center/vehicles. The next day as the Sergeant was gearing up to head back into the town, Sam told him to stand-down. Sam took the Sergeants place on the patrol. The gun battle on this second day was far more intense and Sam didn't make it.

The words from this young Sergeants email hit everyone pretty hard. The sorrow in his words. His love and respect for his friend Sam. The deeply expressed gratitude for Sam's actions that allowed him to still be alive. His remorse expressed to Casey and Sam's family. His promise to make his life worthy of Sam's sacrifice. Think... the last 5 minutes of the epic war movie "Saving Private Ryan".

The indoor services concluded and the Marines took over outside with their standard funeral detail. Flag ceremony/presentation followed by rifle salute and Taps. I was on a funeral detail for 4 straight years when I was younger and this was the nicest one I've ever bore witness to. A Marine 2-Star presented the flag to Casey and quietly spoke a few comforting words.... probably the same words we used to say.... "On behalf of the President of the United States and a grateful nation......".

The report from the M-16s used in the 21 gun salute caught most of us by surprise. Casey seemed to have been holding it together rather well up until this point. Witnessing her strength had given me strength. During the second volley she crumpled into her father-in laws arms. It was the first time I'd seen her lose her composure and it was this moment when I stopped trying to nonchalantly wipe my eyes and just joined in with everyone else letting the tears run down my face freely. After the ceremony I took a break to regain my composure and then found Casey and Sam's dad inside. I relayed the condolences from our Mustang family and Casey stated she had tried to login, but couldn't find Sam's password. We're working on that. I don't have Casey's contact info to get her Sam's password, but 3.5 hours from home I somehow recognized a familiar face at the reception..... turns out a NAVAIR guy that attends the same work related meetings as me..... who happens to live in Va. Beach.... attends the same church as Sam and Casey. I have his contact info and plan to contact him tomorrow with Sam's login info to pass onto Casey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=bVqcWLzBbT8

RIP Sam.

Thank you for the update and details of the service Dave. Now I have to go wash my face...again.

RIP Brother.

Thanks Dave, for sharing the details with us. It undoubtedly was a beautiful ceremony. Sounds as though Sam's actions in his final hour were the embodiment of his life. I can't help but think of his family and the life they will now lead. I wish them God's peace. Your a good man Dave. Thanks again for representing the Stangfix family. Thank you.

Back