• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shipping a car...

AzPete

Well, the process is starting to come together. Made arrangements for Johns car to be picked up on the 23/24th of this month with 24 hour advance call to John. The company is First Class Auto Transport/800-405-2494. I had the best feelings from them after about 20 or more calls around the country. It comes top a time to decide and stop calling. The cost is about mid range of all I called. A 2500 mile move, door to door, open trailer, for $970. The same truck and driver picks the car up and delivers it. The car does not leave the truck in the entire trip. It is 5 to 7 days for it to make it to me. They also will give me updates/tracking as to the location during the trip.

Now, I do not know the route they will take so be on the lookout for the '66 on a trailer. Pictures of sightings would be cool.

I will follow up this post as things progress.

Looking forward to getting what is left of John's car. lol

I forgot....they give a $25 military discount.

I had a truck shipped from KY to CA, and the cost was about the same. It made it here without incident, but man was it dirty with road grime.

Not bad. My last move, they loaded my car on the moving van, built a shelf over it, and packed all around it. Arrived without incident, but cost $1200 - and that was 10 years ago. Luckily, the company paid for the move.

Thats way too much $$ for a car that will be stripped down to pieces that would fit on a pallet....wait...."Ok Johnpro, I'll get back to work on the 66...geez".

"cmayna" said:
Thats way too much $$ for a car that will be stripped down to pieces that would fit on a pallet....wait...."Ok Johnpro, I'll get back to work on the 66...geez".

I thought John was shipping in the USPS large flat rate boxes!! :craz

Well, the process should be getting under way in the next couple days. Since I now own a Mustang on each coast.....I was hoping someone in the Ca. area could keep an eye on whats left of it so it at least has some parts. Maybe I should call on :nick....

John has cut up a Mustang before with a sawsall. He learned his lesson though. :lol

"KBMWRS" said:
John has cut up a Mustang before with a sawsall. He learned his lesson though. :lol

Yes, I did. I spent more on sawzall blades than I got for the scrap metal. Then the back fees I had to pay the DMV, because they kept screwing up, just made for a REALLY bad situation. I think I paid the DMV over $300 in penalties for the time the registration was expired, and I thought they had scrapped the car.

So....here is the first real update....

No call concerning the pickup of the car. Was scheduled for 23/24th time frame. The reason I called the company is that they do not charge my credit card until the pickup has been scheduled with a driver. Then, John is to get 24 hours notice. No charge yet means no scheduled pickup yet.

The response from the representative is that the truck that is set for pickup on my car is delayed in the SF bay area while getting other cars unloaded. I can understand this but on the other side of it, I do have a scheduled time. They said they do not hire just any truck to pick up the cars as they have certain ones they deal with. I asked about the time frame and they say they try to get it on the suggested time. I guess it is not a guaranteed pickup time. The rep. said up to two more days. When I questioned that concerning the weekend, they say the drivers pickup on weekends too.

As I told them, this does not set well for a good feeling about their company.... First Class Auto Transport, LLC.

I know they do not set a delivery time solid. I can also deal with the pickup delay here and would like it better if they contacted those concerned.

Pete

Please don't take this personally but what your experiencing is very typical. The good news is the car will get there but I suspect a bit later than you hope. IMHO that's the reason for the price differences in different companies it's the old adage we get what we pay for. Your carrier may save you a few hundred bucks but they don't offer the same service as some of the higher priced carriers. I'm sure it will all work out for you, just take the bride out for a 4 day road trip on the trike and forget about your cares for a while.

One thing I know for sure you will be really happy with the car when it arrives John has always gone the extra mile on it and you will get many years of enjoyment out of it.

Based on all the research, very few did anything different in securing the pickup date. I know it will be here.....just like them to hold to their word. :lol

:lol :lol :lol I would never see it then.....or some unfortunate, unemployed, countryless individual would be cruising in it....

Perhaps you should consider just sending it to that individual and skip the Middleman (Government) that way no environmental studies will need to be done, you won't have to pay some sort of gift tax, and best of all if someone winds up with the car that's in here illegally you won't have to support there entire family

Back