• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Sig's 68 Fastback

remarkably easy in fact.

Yeah, as long as you don't hit'em too hard..... :wm?

Use the chuck end of an appropritely sized drill bit as a punch. The special rivets are very soft and it only takes a little bit of force to spread them enough to hold the door tag onto the door.

Yeah, if anything I probably pushed mine in too far.

Got the knee bolster done on the front of the seat last night. Hopefully get the other seat done and the tracks installed, but I need to do some work under the dash and get the console installed before I put both seats in. I'll probably just install the driver seat and hold off on even doing the passenger side upholstery until i'm ready to put the seat in. Safest place for a freshly upholstered seat is right in the car, no point having it sit around the shop begging to get torn or punctured by something.

Also,

Sam, there's something amiss with your rear interior trim lower corners..... you shouldn't have that visible "gap". It's nothing to lose any sleep over, but those gaps should be able to be closed up by better alignment of the panels.... something I'm sure you've already tried.... but they WILL align... play with them a little longer.

Also,

Ensure you use an RTV-like substance on the three screws that secure the door latch mechanim to the rear of the doors.... otherwise it's likely that over time "rust stains" will seep out from under the screw heads. Even with freshly painted cars this happens. The screws cut into the latch mechanism's housing bringing the contact surfaces to bare metal. Moisture, even through humidity, causes this bare metal to develop surface rust. The surface rust will eventually seep out causing an unsightly stain.

Yeah, if anything I probably pushed mine in too far.

You've pushed too hard/far when the punch/drill bit goes all of the way through the rivet.... anything short of that is success!

I know what it is, its that the bolt that secures the front corner of that rear panel and the rear corner of the quarter trim panel is driving that rear panel down. I need to open up the hole in the fiberglass a little to give it more wiggle room which would allow that panel to sit up higher.

Good call on the latch screws, I'll do that.

Here's that pic with the knee bolster done.

427_21_04_10_6_53_43_0.jpg

Made some minor progress. Grill is installed with original fog lights rebuilt. Can't find the cover for the middle of the grill molding and I'm thinking I never ordered it for some reason.
427_29_04_10_9_05_01_0.jpg

Seat tracks disassembled and ready to go back together. They are actually back on the seat now, no new pics though yet.
427_29_04_10_9_05_02_1.jpg

Craig's fuel filler mod is done and installed.
427_29_04_10_9_05_02_2.jpg

And a shiny new GT gas cap.
427_29_04_10_9_05_02_3.jpg

Car is coming along really great. I do have to say your ride gives me a little bit of fastback envy. Keep up all the great work. BTW, I sneak a peak at your build progress for motivation. Keep on posting. :10

"daveSanborn" said:
Sam, there's something amiss with your rear interior trim lower corners..... you shouldn't have that visible "gap". It's nothing to lose any sleep over, but those gaps should be able to be closed up by better alignment of the panels.... something I'm sure you've already tried.... but they WILL align... play with them a little longer.

DONE! Well, driver side could be better, but I'm not fighting that any more right now.

427_14_07_10_1_48_52_0.jpg

427_14_07_10_1_48_52_1.jpg

Looks much better with that corner picked up to fill the gap. Trap door is in (still needs adjusted, waiting on prop handle to come in). Driver seat is in. Dash is slowly coming together. I lost spring to work. There was snow on the ground last time I really worked on the car, now I step in the garage and start sweating instantly because its 100*.

427_14_07_10_1_48_52_2.jpg

"sigtauenus" said:
DONE! Well, driver side could be better, but I'm not fighting that any more right now.

Since some of my rear interior pieces were not original to the car, I had a hell of a time aligning my rear panels. Luckily, black panels don't show the gaps as much as your parchment panels do.

You're making great progress. It gets more and more exciting as the car finally starts really looking like a car again. Rounding 3rd and on you're way home! Keep up the good work.

Are you asking because of the inflatable thing?

Regardless, the answer is yes, and that something is named Chad, and he is 6. Small dent in the fender, no crease though or break in the paint, so it can be pushed out without affecting the paint.

Sam,

Which tires are you using on the front? Do the tires have a directional tread pattern on them? Because your's aren't matching....

Back