• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The ***"Official"*** StangFix Drag car

"silverblueBP" said:
I added stitch welds all over the car when I had it all clean but before I repainted the underside. Anything that was originally spot welded, I added a stitch here and there.

I did too. Especially frame components, torque box areas, etc. Really made the car rigid.

I hadn't heard of doing that when my car was stripped down, wouldn't have thought of it myself either. Actually, I probably still wouldn't have done it even if I did know because of the way I built the car. The coupe though, when I get to that, may try that stitch welding out.

"silverblueBP" said:
I added stitch welds all over the car when I had it all clean but before I repainted the underside. Anything that was originally spot welded, I added a stitch here and there.

Maybe that is what's adding weight to the extent you can't catch up with a cruiser?

Wouldn't it be a pain in the arse to remove and replace a panel due to damage once it's fully seam welded? I can see the structural benefit but ya better hope you never have to remove that panel, otherwise you have lots of welds to cut!

Not too much.
I won't go into all the details but long story short, I went up North and brought my oldest son and his girlfriend home. They were in dire straights and so we loaded up his car (trans went out) and all their stuff. Towed the car with my F150 and put most of their stuff in the minivan. Now they are living with us. No jobs, no car, well you can imagine the rest. It is a bit crowded and stressful here. I have been travelling every week so my wife is dealing with this the most and is stressed. My younger boys are in archery and pretty much every weekend we are going to a competition. So I haven't had much time or money to work on the car.
I did drive up to St Louis to meet BobV and swap an 8.8 rear I picked up with my 5.0 for a 9" from his 91 Saleen. I will get back into it. I just bought a 94 Oldsmobile ($800) for the kids so they can start job hunting. It is a rebuilt title car but seams reliable. Once they are bringing in a little to help with food and stuff and my weekends free up a bit (and it gets warmer too) I will dive into the body work. I still have a bunch of fuel fillers to modify and I am helping my buddy with his 67 Ranchero (rebuilding 302 and steering). Spent most of my play money on gas to trailer my sons car from Northern Illinois and buying them a car as well as extra food & stuff. This just after Xmas too!

Sorry to hear about the set back Craig but I respect a family man and appreciate what your doing for your boy and his girlfriend.

The car will always be there and your son will forever remember what you have done for him.

Congrats on the fine work your doing out there.

Thanks Abe, I appreciate that. I have always put the family first and that is why the other one took so long. This shouldn't set me back too bad I hope. Still a lot of work I can do without spending much money and maybe my oldest will give me a hand now that he is around! Time will be my concern as always!

Sounds like we need to have a good old stangfix get together at Craigs to help finish the drag car!

In the mean time my prayers are with you buddy!

Just like bad Chinese food this too shall pass!

Mel

Thanks guys, ha ha, yes it will get better! The car is not under a deadline really. Except Jason I'm sure doesn't want me to drag it over there a couple years from now probably.
We are all healthy and the kids have been out looking for work.

"guruatbol" said:
Sounds like we need to have a good old stangfix get together at Craigs to help finish the drag car!
:stu

I'm in. It has to be warmer there, get me out of WI. :steer

i am new to this site but it is my new place to hang out. this place is great. my drag car is not a mustang but a 65 galaxie. i do have a 67 and a 68 mustang so don't throw me out yet :pbj

Welcome, this is a great site! Sounds like you have a nice collection, be sure to post up some pics!

I can't do any work for a few weeks, but I can get the beer and watch supervise.

Doctor's orders!

Mel

Back