• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What to do... hmmm

"DeadStang" said:
So why worry about "restoring" the car?
But you can not overlook major rust problems. They will bite you in the A$$ and could kill you if the circumstances are right. :skull

Well according to everyone if rust isn't fixed correctly, it's just going to eat away the poor mustang slowly and then eventually there won't be a mustang that can be on the road.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Well according to everyone if rust isn't fixed correctly, it's just going to eat away the poor mustang slowly and then eventually there won't be a mustang that can be on the road.
Oh there will be rusting Mustangs on the road (sadly). But would you want to be in one when a driver slams on the brakE's in front of you and you swerve and hit a enbankment at 50 MPH ?? Ain't gonna' be pretty. RUST EATS EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY. It don't get better.
Fix it

Kat, I couldn't read this entire thread, it hurts too much.

Oh the horror!

I think you should look into the rolling shell with the lower price that I saw listed on here somewhere!

You posted there saying you couldn't afford it. IMO you can't afford not to!

Gerty is a nice ride and has some great potential, but you must be willing to take the time necessary and spend the money to do things right the first time. Too often in our Zeel to get things done, we cut corners and end up spending more money to do things again! You know the saying, "You never have time or money to to it right the first time, but you always have time and even more money to do it over."

OK, that being said, you should make sure to tackle all the rust issues and if it means not driving it because you have a garage full of parts you are working on daily, then, do it! Believe me it will be worth it. I spent loads of cash and 5 years on Captain America! I have had Blue for 6 years and it is driving me crazy, but I know if I do it right and don't cave in to the pressure of, "Well I could just get a cheap paint job" or "I could just redo the stock seats and reglue the headliner" I will have a very nice car that will be fun to drive and last me a good long time!

I have learned that the hard way on the 67, I did cut a couple corners and now I have to redo some things.

Anyway, get the car stripped down and fix all the rust! FIRST!

Mel

"other" options?

Another thought~ fix what is fixable with spending a little money possible, and look for another mustang in much better shape. In the meatime, just put the fender back on, pretty the stang up a bit, maybe put a real instrument dash in. Drive it for what it is and enjoy it. Eventually sell it, maybe you'll break even and apply that money to a better stang.

I can't impress this enough before going any further~ please add up EVERYTHING that your'e going to be putting into Gertrude(and what you've spent already)(carpet, headliner, dash(wiring repair), paint, tools, jackstands, air compressor, body filler, body filler tools, sanding boards, windshield, just everything that you can think of, this is not even including bodywork repair(cowls, trunk) etc. When you've added up what you will spend, I think you'll be shocked as to how much you would have spent on Gertrude. And the least expensive paint job will be at least a couple $thousand!!

Keep your eyes open for a rolling chassis that has been restored and you drop your motor into it? or again, find a stang that has been "restored", pay the money for something nice.

Story: I bought my '57 Chevy without really seeing what it would need. I paid 15k, installed gas tank,sender,leaf springs,shocks,radio,rear package tray. Disc brake conversion is still in the trunk. The AC doesn't work and the motor looks like crap. The body is showing bubbles (rust) in many places. So no matter what you buy, it will have some problems underlying. Just next time, you've learned a little more about the early cars, apply that knowledge, plus take someone along to inspect what you'd have to spend to get the next stang in acceptable condition!

You'd look great in this; probably could get it for 9k! and it's ready to drive!
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1937283354.html

You've got to be very careful looking at used cars. I went with a buddy of mine the other day to look at a four speed '79 Camaro with T-Tops.

Guy was selling it for $9k so you'd think it was in decent shape right? Big wrong.

It had a leak of something that was obvious on the front of the intake, rust in the floors and an Earl Shives paint job that was already starting to bubble in the quarter panels.

I've paid more than I care to think about to learn to spot these kinds of things, LOL!

I agree with you Dne' but I don't really consider tools as part of the cost of a car. I can use them again on future projects or sell them, etc.

If I were in the market for another Mustang right now I would probably go look at this one....

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1913642017.html

I kicked around the idea of buying it to finish the assembly then sell it. But two problems with the plan. One = I'd get attached to it. Two= I don't think you can sell it for the amount of money you'd have to dump into it if you do it right.

Hey Rusty, I saw that stang on Craigslist! I look on CL everyday, just in case there's a remarkable deal! ha ha!
I had to include the tools, cause it is an expense along with everything related to the project. These darned old cars are just money sucking things anyway! lol but darn how we love 'em!! I think even if a person was to spend a fair amount of money, say on a '69 stang totally restored, everthing new~ there will be things to go wrong and break.

For me, it's been a learning lesson, and an appreciation factor for when I see a real restored (any classic), I have a better idea of what went on when I see a shiny classic at a car show! It takes dedication, perseverance, knowledge, common sense, improvisional skills(McGiver), and a large pocketbook, and loads of time! :craz and lots of Wattles! :craz

You just need to do a few more cars to spread the tool costs over several cars, LOL!

I've been debating finding another fixer upper but I am not in a hurry. My two requirements are four speed, cheap and not totally rusted out. Some rust is expected but not looking for a rust bucket. May have found a '78 Trans Am that fits the bill but going to have to go look at it if I get a chance.

I blame Barret Jackson, etc but some of these folks out there see that old car that's been sitting in the yard for years rotting away and for some reason think they have a gold mine.

Others like the guy selling the '79 Camaro are just dishonest. He knows the car is crap but tried to dress it up with a cheap paint job hoping he'd find a sucker to buy it.

Ya'll are forgetting I have no job which means no money to buy a rolling shell or different mustang. Can't get bank loans to buy anything either. I don't even own a credit card. So unless someone here wants to send me a different mustang or a rolling shell for $100 or less... it's out of the question. :lol

I don't want to take over Kat's post, but one more thing to your thoughts Rusty, and this goes back to my father saying, "it doesn't hurt to ask", example but not by me: someone comes to look at something I have for sale, and they lowball me on the price, and I accept the price. But when I go to look at something to buy, I rarely squabble about the price being asked~ I generally pay what they're asking! But nowadays, money is tight, and things aren't sellng readily! So now, if someone is asking a price, say 10k, then you inspect the vehicle and add in your head what it needs, then "lowball" with a price of 6k, so what! if they don't accept it, walk away, we keep shopping biding our time, cause we have alot of time and should be in no rush, cause this 6k price you and I know is going to be another great expense in time and money! make sense? I have yet to apply these newly founded principles! :cry

Without looking at your car, I have no idea how bad it really is (though that cowl looks pretty bad), but, as hard as it may be, sometimes you're much better off just to cut your losses and sell the car. Restoring the car could cost you many times what the restored car will be worth.

Kat~ you have a classic Mustang! it's driveable and looks pretty darned good! put the least amount of money into it and enjoy it! It looks good and probably hauls ass! you bought the battery apron, install it! put the fender back on, maybe put a headliner, make the interior look nice! but most of all, enjoy it until better days!! Don't go hog wild in spending money that's not readily available!
dne'

"Kats66Pny" said:
Ya'll are forgetting I have no job which means no money to buy a rolling shell or different mustang. Can't get bank loans to buy anything either. I don't even own a credit card. So unless someone here wants to send me a different mustang or a rolling shell for $100 or less... it's out of the question. :lol

I tried selling it a month or so ago? Remember my long thread about wanting taking a hammer to Gertrude because I realized how I got in over my head and I realized that I'm probably not ever going to be able to fix her up the right way and that I had a car dealer guy willing to buy her for 4k and I wanted to buy a 1970 Grande that was restored except for interior for 4k but then the car dealer changed his mind and backed down...

And besides.. it was part of the deal when I got JohnPro's dash cluster.. I can't sell Gertrude now. :lol

I'll send you some of Shag's original carpeting for Gert. Then you will WANT to sell it.

BeforeC.jpg

"Kats66Pny" said:
I tried selling it a month or so ago? Remember my long thread about wanting taking a hammer to Gertrude because I realized how I got in over my head and I realized that I'm probably not ever going to be able to fix her up the right way and that I had a car dealer guy willing to buy her for 4k and I wanted to buy a 1970 Grande that was restored except for interior for 4k but then the car dealer changed his mind and backed down...

And besides.. it was part of the deal when I got JohnPro's dash cluster.. I can't sell Gertrude now. :lol

So keep tooling around in her when she's on the road and fix things when you can. Not every car has to be a show car type restoration but fixing the cowl would be something I'd try to figure out how to do.

The fender apron, core support, etc is not bad just time consuming. I started mine on a holiday weekend. Got the front pulled apart and the old metal cut out in a long Saturday's worth of work. I had planned to work on it a lot more that weekend and get it done and the wife said that was ok then proceeded to fill up my Saturday evening, Sunday and Monday with other stuff. I was not a happy camper ....It took me a couple of weeks after that to find the time to weld the new metal in, put the fenders back on, etc, etc. but it did get done.

So, you work within your means, and what your'e capable of, which apparently~ you have skills! Do just like you're doing, but slow down, take your time, above all, enjoy yourself and your achievements! and above all, the commoradory of being on this site and fellow enthusiasts and have fun darnit! :)

Kat, I was reading my post over, and well, I did not mean it to sound like a butt chewing! sorry.

Um, I did want to make the point that a few others have made, that you can do this, just enjoy it and do it as you can. Just don't skip steps.

If you need to put some sort of interior in your car to enjoy it before you dig into the cowl, then do so, but don't worry about paint until you get the cowl done.

Do all the other body work and do the cowl last.

Have I articulated this right?

Oh, so you know, Blue has had nothing done to him for two or three years that was not free because money for extras dried up! I am being patient and I hope to send some money his way next year!

Mel

That was my plan... which is why I asked in the first place if it matters what order things are done in... should I do body work/rust repairs first before messing with things like redoing suspension, interior, etc and if I'm suppose to start body/rust repairs first, I wanted to do it in sections so I could still keep her on the road, well for the most part. I still want to try to do everything right as best as I can, I just want to do it in sections at a time instead of pulling her all the way apart and end up with a bare shell in my garage for 5yrs.

Which reminds me... one of the guys my husband works with has a daughter who is fixing up a 66 stang. Turns out they have a hood with a scoop (on a straight 6 engine lol) they are planning on changing out to a normal flat hood. Well it was passed on to the guy I have a 66 w/flat hood and want a hood with a scoop. We shall see what happens! :vic

Not to mention, my husband had an interview this past week for a new position opening up within the company. Well he got a call last night saying they picked him for the job! That means a $4/hr raise and a normal day job working in an office from 8-4 instead of his current position in the kiln which is 12hr hard larbor on a rotating shift from 7am to 7am. :pbj

See how things work out?

Um, careful with hoods, when they multiply you just can't get rid of them. Hehehehe I have a flat 65 hood and a non turn signal 68 hood, and just can't get rid of them!

Mel

Well I'm hoping since she has a hood I want and I have one she wants, we'll be able to do a trade and we'll both be happy. Of course I'll have to check out her hood first. I have no idea what condition it's in or what the scoop looks like, how tall, etc. There are certain styles I just don't like!

Back