• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What to do... hmmm

"Kats66Pny" said:
I have no idea what condition it's in or what the scoop looks like, how tall, etc. There are certain styles I just don't like!
Why does Kansas suddenly come to mind ?? :)

When you're on a budget...Craigslist and trading locally are the way to go.

Don't forget also that if you buy a part (either new or used) you can sometimes sell the one you took off.

Example being I bought my C4 off of one guy I know that had the shift kit, higher stall, etc already in it...already had basically all the stuff that I had been planning to add to my bone stock C4. Bought the one with the goodies already installed for about $300 then sold my bone stock one I pulled out for $175 to another local buddy.

"RustyRed" said:
Don't forget also that if you buy a part (either new or used) you can sometimes sell the one you took off.

Heck, I did that with the entire car......... :craz

Kat,
I know how you must feel. When I was 15 I finally convinced my dad to "let" me buy my first car, a 67 Mustang that was wrecked and rusty. I had saved up money from odd jobs but I was only 15! He knew what I was getting into, I didn't. That car taught me so much. I continued with my current Mustang learning the hard way. Trying to save a lost cause on a tight budget. Well I spent more time and money than a smart person would have but it did get done. Now I'm doing it again!
Anyway, I think we may have scared you. I agree the structural integrity of the car is compromised when they are rusty. But if safety was our true concern we wouldn't drive a fully restored one either. 66 Mustangs don't have ABS brakes, crumple zones, 5mph bumpers, air bags, shoulder harness, collapsible columns, safe fuel cell/tank, etc., etc. You take that into consideration with any hot rod, muscle car or antique car you drive. With that being said, you drive more cautiously but know if you get in an accident the outcome WILL be worse in an old car.
I think you car is too much for you and your hubby to fully restore. Rather than get depressed and sell it, or take it all apart and never get to enjoy it, you should consider what DNE said. Put it back together, fix the things you can when you can and enjoy it. Chances are your not flying around on the freeway at 75 mph but more city driving and it will most likely do that for a long time. You can get a cover that clips onto the cowl vents to prevent leakage and reseal the windsheild as best you can and let the car be what it is. It's not a bad 20 footer and it can be fun. Don't let it get you down! For many years my daily driver was a "beater" old Mustang with holes in the cowl and floors and I lived.

"tarafied1" said:
66 Mustangs don't have ABS brakes, crumple zones, 5mph bumpers, air bags, shoulder harness, collapsible columns, safe fuel cell/tank, etc., etc. You take that into consideration with any hot rod, muscle car or antique car you drive. With that being said, you drive more cautiously but know if you get in an accident the outcome WILL be worse in an old car.

You're right about that. One of the boys from time to time gets on a kick of wanting the Mustang when he turns 16. I am not against it per say but I told him we'd have to go back through it and build it different with collapse column, seats with a head rest, fuel cell, etc, etc for safety and we'd also have to put a fuel injected motor plus aod in it otherwise the gas would eat him alive.

The other boy wants an '05 Convertible, smart kid, LOL!

Back