• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Who wants to see video of a 289 grenading? Updated...pics added!

"tarafied1" said:
... what do you want for it?
IMG_0112Large.jpg

Another engine Craig !!!!! :nut

Last edited by a moderator:
you can never have too many...and I'm not sure this one would qualify as an engine anymore, it's art (sculpture) now!
I have in mind something like this...
423687_10150677505493711_104291478710_9173130_567739379_n.jpg

"tarafied1" said:
you can never have too many...and I'm not sure this one would qualify as an engine anymore, it's art (sculpture) now!

I'll autograph it for ya!

"silverblueBP" said:

Most righteous engine grenade I've seen in quite some time. After the depression's over, pat yourself on the back. Not many people do that at 100mph and still save the car!

Last edited by a moderator:
"tarafied1" said:
I have in mind something like this...
423687_10150677505493711_104291478710_9173130_567739379_n.jpg

I'd hate to stub my toe on THAT.

Frank

Engine update

86-302 block, rods and pistons are the new base for the street motor. Crower hydraulic cam with .425" total lift, new timing set, SFI balancer, 1966 289 heads, heavily ported with stock rockers. Decked the block .030" to get the pistons at the top of the cylinders and the block was already bored .040" over which did not need anything other than a quick hone (the machine shop checked it all over). I have a used performer intake and I'll re-use my 650DP, Canton pan and Tri-Y's. All in for just under $2K. This engine will get a 5,500 rpm chip and will NOT see any track time!

Since it's an 86 block, It needs a bracket made so the clutch equalizer pivot has a place to live.

At least I'll be able to drive it until I get around to building another high revving 289. Besides, as often as I break things, I need a spare motor.

"silverblueBP" said:
This engine will get a 5,500 rpm chip and will NOT see any track time!

... ... ...

At least I'll be able to drive it until I get around to building another high revving 289.

From the race track to the rat race, it's all good in a Mustang.

Glad to hear you are getting back up and running.

"silverblueBP" said:
Engine update

86-302 block, rods and pistons are the new base for the street motor. Crower hydraulic cam with .425" total lift, new timing set, SFI balancer, 1966 289 heads, heavily ported with stock rockers. Decked the block .030" to get the pistons at the top of the cylinders and the block was already bored .040" over which did not need anything other than a quick hone (the machine shop checked it all over). I have a used performer intake and I'll re-use my 650DP, Canton pan and Tri-Y's. All in for just under $2K. This engine will get a 5,500 rpm chip and will NOT see any track time!

Since it's an 86 block, It needs a bracket made so the clutch equalizer pivot has a place to live.

At least I'll be able to drive it until I get around to building another high revving 289. Besides, as often as I break things, I need a spare motor.

Why do you need a high revving track motor? Build a stroker with good torque and keep it under 6500rpm. It'll last a lot longer and be cheaper than going to 7500rpm.

Re: Who wants to see video of a 289 grenading?

"silverblueBP" said:
I do agree a new block, 4 bolt mains and a forged crank are great ideas. Maybe I'll build the next one to run 8K rpm's :confu
I will sell you that engine with the car attached............track ready!

"Shaun" said:
Why do you need a high revving track motor? Build a stroker with good torque and keep it under 6500rpm. It'll last a lot longer and be cheaper than going to 7500rpm.

Hey, you just shut yo mowth! 8 years was a pretty long time for that motor. Besides, I like winding that biotch out. It's all about the fun.

Back