• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Who wants to see video of a 289 grenading? Updated...pics added!

Re: Who wants to see video of a 289 grenading?

The crank is different, as it has the slinger for the old two piece seal. However, the older style cranks will fit new blocks if the slinger is machined off. Also, most new forged cranks come in the one piece design. But, not sure if they do a 289 version.

Call these folks and ask : http://www.callies.com/

The HP boat folks swear by Callies cranks. These are engines pumping 1000+hp out at WOT continuously for up to 30 minutes, so I doubt you'd hurt one.

"silverblueBP" said:
I wonder...can you put 289 internals into a new Boss 302 block?
Are you thinking of reusing your existing rods/pistons (if undamaged...doubtful) from a cost savings standpoint or are you just wanting a 289 from a purist standpoint? The extra cubes of a 302 or bigger would serve you well and from the outside who would know?

Purist aspect only.

How about a 302 block and crank with 289 rods and pistons? I've never messed with anything other than all 289, so I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

How fast were you spinning it at peak with the last motor(s)? I would think extra torque would be your goal given your application. If you can keep the RPMs down on the longer straights something like a 331 might be ideal. Might be a gear change and a stroker could be what you need to finally catch those pesky PTs.

I use to spin it up to 7,400, but the last couple of years, I capped it at 7,000. The sound of of SBF above 7K is a wonderful thing.

F the pt's

With all the good 5.4" rods available for the 331/347's, I wonder how a long-rod 289 would work..... forged 2.87 stroke crank, 5.4 rods... :roll

"BobV" said:
With all the good 5.4" rods available for the 331/347's, I wonder how a long-rod 289 would work..... forged 2.87 stroke crank, 5.4 rods... :roll

Speak English please.

I think from a parts availability and cost position, Mark should think about building up a 302 (or stroker) and just put a 289 sticker on the air cleaner. I know lots of builders will say you can spin a 347 at 7k but I don't know if I would be that comfortable that's why I thought to be a bit conservative and said 331.

What's your rear gear, Mark? You might be able to lose a little there with the added torque benefit of the stroker and reduce that RPM on the high end.

I have a 4.11 in it right now, but I also have a set of 3.70's and 3.50's.

"silverblueBP" said:
How about a 302 block and crank with 289 rods and pistons? I've never messed with anything other than all 289, so I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

Not interchangeable. Rod, pistons and crank must match. While pistons are the same for 289/302, rods and crank are not. 289 rods on a 302 crank will hit the head with the piston.

BTW, purist aspirations and 7k+ rpms racing do not mix, at least not for long. You want to spin 7k+ on a routine basis, so you NEED a forged crank and darn good rods & rod bolts. The torsional stress on the crank and forces on the rod at that rpm make anything else a ticking bomb.

Had Eagle H beam rods, ARP bolts and SRP alum pistons. Just the stock crank. I'm not knocking or regretting that setup at all. It lasted 8 years of abuse, how many engines last that long under those extremes before coming apart?

I'm not building a barn burner, nor do I want something that Jeremy would drive. The nice thing about the now defunct motor was that it was just right for my skill level.Enough power I feel the car was better than me, but not so much I had to feather it all the time. I think I have the top end figured out after a few years of breaking and upgrading those parts! I still plan on using the iron heads and intake I currently have (unless I find unknown damage). This is all speculation at this point in time till I get it torn down and see what really happened.

That motor had:

1 1/2 seasons of Autocross
1 HPDE at Portland Raceway
3 HPDE weekends with the Porsche and Audi Clubs at Heartland Park 2.5 mile course
6 years of Track Days at HPT 2.1 & 2.5 courses (approx 20 track days, 2-5, 20 min sessions per day)
Various road trips in Oregon and Kansas
2 full days on dyno's
8 winters sitting on jack stands
2 trips behind a track tow vehicle

I'll reiterate, I have no regrets about that engine. Not in its performance, nor its longevity.

Given your explanation, you should get yourself a forged bottom end and slap it in a 302 block and away you go. Replicate what you had with a forged rotating ass'y and you should be trouble free. Still chasing PTs but hell you're good at that why change!

"Horseplay" said:
Given your explanation, you should get yourself a forged bottom end and slap it in a 302 block and away you go. Replicate what you had with a forged rotating ass'y and you should be trouble free. Still chasing PTs but hell you're good at that why change!

You're kill'n me Smallz

Yep, that parts list and a forged crank would be a solid combo. As you said, key is knowing what survived.

7K rpm's and a stock chrankshaft ?? IMO you're lucky you did have so much fun with that engine .
"apollard" said:
BTW, purist aspirations and 7k+ rpms racing do not mix, at least not for long. You want to spin 7k+ on a routine basis, so you NEED a forged crank and darn good rods & rod bolts. The torsional stress on the crank and forces on the rod at that rpm make anything else a ticking bomb.
Like Apollard said and you have to weight each piston/rod combination and make sure they all weight the same .
A high reving engine needs to be very very good balanced !!!
Mark , do you remember when I commended on a vid of yours and asked if you didn't miss a 5th gear ?????
IMO you need a 4 bolt main block , forged chrank and a good piston/rod balance to achieve high revs without the damage.
I do hope the heads are undamaged :confu :confu :confu
(ps : I am not a prof engine builder )

"B67FSTB" said:
(ps : I am not a prof engine builder )
but you play one on TV...
JK good advice! I am impressed it lasted as long as it did revving at or over 7K.

Bruno, this engine was balanced and blueprinted. My buddy and I spent many weekends painstakingly blueprinting every part so they were as close as possible. Weights, deck height, the whole shabang. That's why it lasted as long as it did.

I'll do the same to next motor, just with better (read, more expensive) parts!

Back