• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'66FB GT "Slick Guzzo" Upgrade Build-Up

Re: '66FB GT Upgrade Build-Up

The caliper thread is stripped. Cobra Auto will either fix or replace it. I don't see how tightening the bleed screw can strip the threads.

When I ship the caliper(s) back, I'll be returning extra front braided steel brake hoses for store credit (~$100). I was thinking the front brake duct kit. Is it worth for a street car?? What would you get instead if not the brake duct kit?

Brake ducts on a street car are a waste of $$ IMHO.

What else then? I have the racing apron, tie down kit, guage instrument panel, 5-pt harness, 4-pt rollbar, already. I can get the side mirrors somewhere else cheaper...

"hivewax" said:
Race exhaust headers (~$5000)?! :dropjaw

Or...........

If you're so intent on wasting money, you could just send me the 5K :vic

While I wait for the front brake calipers, I got the cheap Monte Carlo bar installed by shortening it. I measured from apron to apron at the back of engine bay and it looked to match the middle section.

Gotstang, if you are only missing the last 3/4", I'm sure that you aren't losing too much strength there. Why don't you just cut a small section from a new frame piece, and add (weld) it to what you have on the car. It would sure save a lot of work.

I think I didn't bleed the Bendix 1-1/8" bore dual master cylinder correctly. I had someone using their fingertips to cover the ports and I was pressing the pedal. And, I almost had the cylinder level, but not exact. I was thinking of getting the syringe bleed kit from Master Power - http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=125 - and some fittings - http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=669

Has anyone tried this method?

I'm looking at the fitting plugs and I think there isn't a plug for the bigger port thread hole of the front brake reservoir.

You should use the std bleed setup where you have plastic barbed ends screwed into the ports, then run the hose back into the bowls, pretty simple. I do this with the MC in the vice and tap and tilt the MC in all directions to get out all the air bubbles.

Where can I find those "plastic barbed ends w/hoses?" Scotty told me to use my fingertips. And, when I tried putting the MC on the vise, either the ports would be in the way or there was not enough meat on the ear underneath.

Is it OK to jack up the car on the front frame rails just forward of the strut rod mount brackets temporarily? The car is so low, I can't get the big heavy duty jack below the floor pan. I need to get a racing jack.

put a 2x4 across the span, I've done that a number of times with the engine in.

That's good to know. Cobra Auto replaced the calipers and tested the new ones. I was thinking of putting a fitting before the bleed screw, so I wouldn't have to worry about the calipers stripping again. Have you seen anyone do this?

If the threads on the calipers are correct, it's not a concern. Seriously, I bleed the brakes 1-2 times a MONTH with zero problems.

I'm starting to feel cursed. Well, I think it's a good safety measure. Tonight, I'm bleeding the brakes and hope I can drive it tonight.

No video yet. I got the brake bleeding done. No leaks thank goodness. I'm going to do a oil change because the oil smells like gas. Video tonight of a slow drive around the block maybe...

The bleeder screw on the front calipers are leaking very little and they are on very tight. The head is almost stripped. Do you add plumber's tape or sealant on bleeder screws? I have nothing. Video coming soon.

Back