• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

burnout289's 67 coupe project

"burnout289" said:
"Horseplay" said:
You need new friends
I just need more car friends in general! I found a local group of Subie guys and they're great, but not really that close and nobody else I know is really into cars. I mean, they like 'em, they just don't do anything with 'em. Know any of the classic guys in the San Diego area?
Hit some local car shows that exhibit muscle cars and not imports or row after row of late models. Talk up some guys about their rides and I'll bet you find some cool guys (car clubs) that you could possibly end up hanging out with and such. Some of the older guys would likely welcome a younger guy who is into old metal vs weed-whacker powered go-carts.

"Horseplay" said:
I don't think of myself as an old guy but in reality I guess I am at this point.
I am definitely old, I didn't even know what they were!
Now for making that Mustang corner, It can be done! I have a 429 in mine and it still does okay. I wouldn't challenge a WRX to slalom the construction cones on the highway but I have done a few laps on the Nashville Speedway track day and was surprised how well it did. The UCA's have the Arning drop. I bought the 620 front Springs from ORP and have ORP roller perches. I also added the eccentric eliminators from ORP. I have Poly bushings and Grab-A-Track 5 leaf rear springs and gas shocks on all four corners. The car sits pretty low and has welded in sub-frame connectors and homemade Boss 302 type shock tower bracingf and a repop export brace. I have the quick steer pitman arm and idler with no PS (WHich is a real pain to parallel park). Certainly nothing on the level of the Street and Track or even all that ORP offers but way better than a 45 year old Mustang!

"tarafied1" said:
I have the quick steer pitman arm and idler with no PS (WHich is a real pain to parallel park). Certainly nothing on the level of the Street and Track or even all that ORP offers but way better than a 45 year old Mustang!
Glad to hear you mention this, I was wondering about the quick steer arm but I gutted my PS and am kind of on the fence now. How is it with slow turns like in a parking lot (not the actual parking, I know that's rough).

I want everything Shaun sells. And while that's a bit of wishful thinking, the front relocated coilover suspension is a big item on my list. The more I learn about travel and motion ratios the more I like the shock mounted to the LCA. I'll need to replace so much that at this point I may as well do it right the first time.

slow speed cruising is PITA. You need both hands so it's hard to text while driving thru the mall parking lot.

"tarafied1" said:
slow speed cruising is PITA. You need both hands so it's hard to text while driving thru the mall parking lot.
ugh, don't know if I can handle that. :hmm

:whis

I know, it sux. I guess I will have to wait to the self driving cars come out so I can text and drive.... :whis

There's a guy working on an electric steering solution for are cars if you guys are interested...Its quiet interesting if you want me to send the link :)

"JRANGER" said:
There's a guy working on an electric steering solution for are cars if you guys are interested...Its quiet interesting if you want me to send the link :)
I remember seeing that quite a while ago. Post up the link. I kinda disavowed the tech in the past. Now having driven my 2014 I have a new found respect.

Well, I may have to part ways with my Mustang soon, unless I can find an inexpensive storage option. So far it looks like $200+ just to have a large enough storage unit, and even then I don't see how I could actually work on it. I could have another vehicle for that price.

Right now it's sitting in a carport at a house my mom is rooming in, but she's moving and I think the lady who owns the place will be selling soon as well. Only a one-car garage at my house and there's no way a car can be parked in there, so...I'm running out of options.

Would there be anyone who can help me come up with a price? The car needs a lot of work, but it's certainly not falling apart. I just don't know where to begin.

Right now I'm just bummed out that I even need to make this decision. I've been down this road many times over the years and always ended with, "Nope, I'm keeping her!" I don't think I have much of a choice this time, though.

Still have the car, and today I placed an order for a new gas tank kit from CJPP. If I can at least get the car running under its own power, I can store it at my place. I'm pretty sure the tank and lines are garbage at this point (corroded). That reminds me, I should order some tank sealer, too.

I don't think tank sealer is necessary with a new tank... I think folks tend to use sealer on an old original tank that isn't available in the aftermarket.

Short story...

I recently was called by the owner of the house where my car is stored, and she's finally getting ready to sell. That means the car had to go and ASAP, and I cannot bring myself to sell. I have a friend who does some incredible metal work and who I worked for while unemployed two years ago (shameless plug for his shop...check it out: http://www.flyingdutchmancompany.com). This friend offered to help bring the Mustang to his shop and help me get her running again in a timely manner...like within the next month and a half. I should note at this point that I've been on crutches for the past month and have another 3 weeks or so before I can just walk in a boot (bunion surgery). So I could NOT have done any of this on my own right now.

Well, today we got the car moved and started a preliminary list of items I'll need to get together. We should be able to get her running with minimal purchasing, but I'll be keeping my nose in the forum classifieds. Can't wait to get some real traction on this project.

Just noticed my friend's website is still really sparse, but here's a Facebook page if anyone has an interest in metal work and old cars... https://www.facebook.com/FlyingDutchmanCo

Last edited:
The other car recently received a new set of wheels. I had hit a water hole cover that was sitting crooked and took out both driver's side tires and ben the rims (the white ones on the last page). Why fix something when you can upgrade, right? I had these for all of a week before going in for surgery, but I had time to go up to our local fun road at Palomar Mountain and took a friend who has a nice camera.

17x9 w/ 245/40 ExtremeContactDW. Previous was 17x8 w/ 225/45 Pilot Super Sports. These aren't as grippy as the PSS, but it was a lot cheaper to go up to 245 in the Continental. Either way, this car is fun in a corner.

Thx for the pics.
Trans am project in progress here ???
Anyway , its a 67.Thats all what it matters !!!:p:p:p

Thx for the pics.
Trans am project in progress here ???
Anyway , its a 67.Thats all what it matters !!!:p:p:p
Haha yeah actually that's what I'm going for here. I'm not going to be super strict about that, but I do love the style.

Over this last week, I made a little more progress (with help...still gimpy for now). Got the carb reinstalled with new gaskets, removed water pump and decided to chuck it, blasted thermostat housing and painted it, pulled and cleaned the oil pan (so gross...needs a blast and repaint), pulled the front sway bar and decided I wanted a new one rather than clean it haha. Also replaced plugs, wires, cap/rotor. Got some new oil/filter, coolant and hoses. Just need to flush the cooling system next before I reinstall anything. Fuel pump rubber is old and I can't find any rebuild kits for it (only the really pricey models). I have a new oil pump gasket (rubber/steel) but it'll be a while before I get all of the old gasket off. That thing is a PITA, even with a razor blade.

New parts on the way:

- 1" Grab-A-Track front sway bar & endlinks
- Powermaster 140A alternator
- Stewart water pump & gasket
- Holley 110gph fuel pump (same as I had before, just new) & gasket
- Spal 16" slim fan & wiring kit (will make a shroud...can't stomach $120+ for a sheet of Al)

Back