• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Finally have the parts to reassemble my engine

"65fast" said:
Looks like you will be ready for the warm weather!

What heads are those?

1966 C code stock iron heads. 1.84" intake and 1.5" exhaust valves, heavily ported (back in 2001) by my buddy that does head porting. Dean has a real nice flow bench!

Yes, that was the original build. 2 years ago I changed to beehive springs, low tension rings, a one inch carb spacer and went from a 600DP to a 650DP. It was time to replace the valve springs so I thought I'd give the beehives a try. The low tension rings seem to be OK too. The new carb (set up and B&B'd for my setup) runs great.

All the credit goes to my buddy Dean. He knows SBF's like the back of his hand and can do real magic with the heads!

<Rant on>

The curse of this motor continues on. Wish I could remember why I did what I did when Dean and I built this thing back in 2001.

My old timing cover was pretty beat up, so I bought a new Edelbrock replacement. Looks the same as the original except the areas where it bolts to the engine require diff length bolts that the original. Had trouble finding a water pump to fit that and have the inlet on the driver side. Problem with that is where the water flows from the pump into the timing cover does not match up as good as I'd like. I know the stock setup had the WP inlet on the pass side and that's what the problem must be.

I don't remember why I didn't go with a std pump and a radiator that's set up opposite of the one I have. I have an alum rad with the outlet on the bottom, driver side and the inlet top pass side so I could have a cross flow.

I could not for the life of me find the same WP that I've had on the car. No number, brand and no receipt, damn memory :rant

Dbl checked the cam timing, got it all cleaned and then re-assembled the heads with the softer springs and are now installed on the engine . The shaft rockers are currently taking a cozy bath in 30 wt oil. Hopefully I can get the water pump figured out tomorrow and then go into town to get more bolts. Once that's done I can install the oil pan, shaft rockers and the intake. If I could get that done tomorrow, I'd feel a whole lot better about making the April 20th track day!

Timing cover, water pump, alternator, damper, crank pulley and oil pan are all installed. Took the new timing cover off this morning, cleaned up the 45 yr old one and put it on. The damper goes on fine, bottoms out and torqued correctly. The new f'n cover is just enough deeper to stop the SFI damper from bottoming out. Maybe it works fine with a std damper? It sure doesn't with a SFI unit!

Installed the shaft rockers and my body said enough for the day.

I guess I'll wait till another day to finish up adjusting the rockers,install the intake and valve covers. Take it off the stand and install the flywheel, and clutch. Maybe the clouds will part and a rainbow will materialize to get the motor back in the car by next Sunday afternoon

Mark, where did you acquire your engine building skills sir.

Glad to hear things are coming together okay and hope the WP issue gets resolved soon so you can get that beast back on the freakin track where I wish to someday be.

Engine building skilzs, ha ha...that's a funny one. 1/2 self taught and the other 1/2 I've learned from my buddy Dean. The 1/2 self taught is usually what causes me problems :char

If you end up replacing that 45 year old cover, I got mine from speedway motors. It is cheaper than the other places and all my stock bolts worked perfect with it.

It's about frack'n time.

778453203_photobucket_48120_.jpg

778453203_photobucket_48119_.jpg

I actually ended up putting it in the car before I quit for the day. Still have a few things left to do tomorrow, but at least the hard work is finished. This project has been fighting me every step of the way. It wouldn't surprise me if it goes nuclear during the break-in :hs Hopefully with John watching over me, it'll turn out OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you please tell me what friggin' wp you're using? I'm wanting to run a crossflow radiator and I'm trying to locate a wp for 289 with ds inlet. Thanks for reminding me you've never let me know which wp you run.
Oh yeah, engine looks purty. Congrats.

it's a NAPA WP, # TFW 43057. I also have a Milodon 16331 I'll sell you cheap, brand new in the box.

Way to go Mark. Looks awesome.

Nice to see Waldopro looking over the rebuild.

Off topic question for you, what's the reason for the tape on the headlights on track cars? Is it so they don't shatter if a rocks hits them?

Back