• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Seats, opinions?

Dne', you may want to take Kat up on her nice offer before you jump in. While most people agree on what makes a good seat, seats that feel great to some don't fit others as well. You could also get Gary's buy-in at the same time.

Good grief, I'm still on the computer!
Yes Pollard, thats probably a good idea! Gary doesn't care as to how comfortable the seat is, more like will it recline. I guess a couple more questions; 1) on the electric drivers seat? Does it require modification to the seat platform for the seat to operate, no cutting the platform? I'm pretty comfortable with this seat going by what is being said here.2) However, would the seat height be about what I have? It's not going to put my head to the roof? If the answers are no and no, then I think I'll order the seats on eBay. I can do 450 vs 700(the new pro cars). Surely the stang seats would be a litlle more cushy!
; )

I did call a couple of the places above, but with no photos, just can't do it captain!

quote author=apollard link=topic=14628.msg180708#msg180708 date=1321035563]
Dne', you may want to take Kat up on her nice offer before you jump in. While most people agree on what makes a good seat, seats that feel great to some don't fit others as well. You could also get Gary's buy-in at the same time.
[/quote]

"Midlife" said:
A radically different mounting system, and those seats aren't nearly as comfortable as earlier models.
How so? Is the mounting setup built into the seat base? You can mount the old tracks on the new seats with the 99-04 but cant with 05 and up?

"RyanG85" said:
How so? Is the mounting setup built into the seat base? You can mount the old tracks on the new seats with the 99-04 but cant with 05 and up?

Exactly right. The front seat bolts are horizontal and screw into a seat pan ridge; there are no fore/aft tracks that lie on the floor pan. The rear bolts go through a small flange into the floor pan.

I dont know about your model model car but have heard transplanting late model Mustang seats in a 69-70 requires removing the seat pedestals, otherwise they sit too high.

The seats you have dont look that bad. What car are they from? a 70 model coupe? Would probably look nice with TMI sport seats or just recover with new foams and Mach 1 covers? The black with red stripe would be a nice fit for you I think.

Also, you would have the opportunity to open the seats and find out what all the stink is about LOL

108136.jpg

Keeping the elec. causes the seat to sit a couple inches higher. Not good for most but the lumbar is separate from the power rack. Without the power, you are real close to maintaining the stock seat base level. I think an old thread of mine has one stock and one 04 in the 66 to compare.

05 and up seats are also to wide for the stock interior....must narrow tranny hump to look right and even then....

05 and up use nut plates in the floor but the big thing is the un-level floor of the newer cars. Yes....old tracks mount with the drilling of one hole per side and a couple of spacers to make up for a few curves and the power rack removal.

I dont know what these seats came out of mike. I bought them off of eBay 3 years ago. I knew they weren't going to last long. If I could make this seat look like the one in the photo you posted, I'd do that! That's really nice, but I'm a little nervous about upholstering,but I rest modded a mustang, so surely I should be able to do a seat too! My stang is a 67 coupe, It turned out pretty good I suppose. I didnt order those seats that I mentioned on eBay, still pondering options and valued opinions here.

newpaint-1.jpg

"miketyler" said:
I dont know about your model model car but have heard transplanting late model Mustang seats in a 69-70 requires removing the seat pedestals, otherwise they sit too high.

The seats you have dont look that bad. What car are they from? a 70 model coupe? Would probably look nice with TMI sport seats or just recover with new foams and Mach 1 covers? The black with red stripe would be a nice fit for you I think.

Also, you would have the opportunity to open the seats and find out what all the stink is about LOL

108136.jpg

I think the 99-04 are to flat on the bottom, take a close look at the 94-98 and you will see what I mean. Just make sure they are GT seats or the bottom will look like the 99-04 seats.

Mustangstofear- ?

The 94-98 aren't very plentiful are they? Did mean to say'"too flat on the bottom?" I can't take a close look at them cause I can't seem to put my hands on any. I was going to call Kat while we were in college station today, but I was quite ill today! Rats!
However, tomorrow I'm removing the stinky seats from my stang. I was looking at the seat covers for my seats, but TMI runs about 380 per seat, and thats not including the foam inserts and whatever else that would go in them!

So are you saying I should be looking more at the 94-98? If so, I'll direct more energy that direction.

"mustangstofear" said:
I think the 99-04 are to frat on the bottom, take a close look at the 94-98 and you will see what I mean. Just make sure they are GT seats or the bottom will look like the 99-04 seats.

Look at them all before you decide.....I prefer the 99+ GT but as said....everybody has their idea as to a good seat.

"AzPete" said:
Look at them all before you decide.....I prefer the 99+ GT but as said....everybody has their idea as to a good seat.

The best used seats are those with loose coins lying under the cushions, IMHO.

Re: Mustangstofear- ?

"Dne'" said:
The 94-98 aren't very plentiful are they? Did mean to say'"too flat on the bottom?" I can't take a close look at them cause I can't seem to put my hands on any. I was going to call Kat while we were in college station today, but I was quite ill today! Rats!
However, tomorrow I'm removing the stinky seats from my stang. I was looking at the seat covers for my seats, but TMI runs about 380 per seat, and thats not including the foam inserts and whatever else that would go in them!

So are you saying I should be looking more at the 94-98? If so, I'll direct more energy that direction.

Yes I meant flat, I normally pay 50.00 to 150.00 for the seats, and we sell the complete TMI seat skins with foam for 450.00 and the matching rear for 150.00. I pick the seats up all the time a swap meets.

"RyanG85" said:
Rich, do you have some pictures of the recovered seats?

We should have some shortly, the 67 coupe we are building is getting them. The customer is 6 ft, 4 inches, that is a big boy. so we put 69 seat pans to gain another 1 1/2 head room plus our headliner for another 2 1/2 inches. We also will be moving the seat pans back.

When we first had TMI custom make these seats 6 years ago we had to furnish the foam, because when they came from Ford the foam was bonded on to the upholstery and there was no way to save it. Now TMI includes the foam.

Are these the types of seats?

I didn't realize just how many variations of seats mustangs have/ had! :shrug I have spent the better part of this weekend on eBay and CL and bugging Pete :wor for his opinions! I've gone from the cheapest china sets to 1000 dollar seats and just can't make a darned decision!!
I forgot all about swap meets! I'm excited to see a few pics of your work! But in the meantime, is this the kind of seat in the eBay link below that you're talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-1998-Ford- ... 2146wt_689

"mustangstofear" said:
Yes I meant flat, I normally pay 50.00 to 150.00 for the seats, and we sell the complete TMI seat skins with foam for 450.00 and the matching rear for 150.00. I pick the seats up all the time a swap meets.

Back