• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1952 F1: The Garage Roommate

Select from the following six options, derived from two basic designs w/ colors and options.

• A

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • B

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • C

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That lifting the transmission procedure up through the interior is BS
LOL. How do you really feel? You do realize the factory built the trucks with an access panel to service the trans from above, right? That huge floor access panel wasn't put there as a design statement. Thinking about doing something is not the same as actually doing it.

The MC sits back far enough that it will be a real challenge to put in a second crossmember where it needs to be without some real contortions and new issues that would have to be overcome. It would also greatly interfere with access to the MC. It's not like I haven't looked into that approach. I just don't like the ways I've come up with to go that route.

I was only half serious with the line about pulling it out the top. What it would really entail is accessing it from above by making a slightly larger trans access panel which would allow me to shift it back and clear to drop to the ground below. It could be done from beneath but why make it harder? The extended portion of the access panel will be hidden beneath either the bench seat support framework or a custom console if I go with buckets. Either way it will all be hidden until need to get in there and to do so will be very simple and quick.

I plan to have this wrapped up by Monday so let's wait and see how it all goes. Then you guys can be the judge.

Last edited:
Can't you simply unbolt the car body from the frame, lift it up and out of the way, and access the clutch/tranny that way?

There's a bunch of design stuff on these trucks that looks good on paper but doesn't pass muster in real life.
Loadomatic distributors, the fan hub "bearing," transmissions with non-syncro 1st, and truck window regulators,
to name just a few.

So my plans got derailed and I haven't gotten much more done with the trans situation. Maybe this weekend. On another front I got something in I found online and bought. I've never been a huge fan of the stock dash and gauges in the truck. Here is the stock dash.

stock52dash.jpg
Very simple (plain) and the two round gauges are quite small and not the easiest to view through the wheel. I've been all over the map with ideas on modifications to improve things. First I cleaned up and did some work to upgrade the stock gauges to operate on 12vdc. I've since decided I won't use those. I looked at a set of new, made to fit, Dakota Digital pieces but do to their small diameters they say they can't incorporate their latest tech which rules that option out. Next I looked into using a set of their early 50's GM truck gauges which are also a two piece configuration like the Ford's but larger in size. Dakota can put their latest RTX stuff in those. Problem there is I still am not liking the look of the dash even with the slightly larger gauges.

So I shifted gears again (as I'm prone to do) and took a whole new path. I'm going to completely change the face of the whole dash. Basically cutting almost all of it out and incorporating stuff from other donor pieces. Spent some time this morning measuring stuff and marking it out before firing up the cut-off wheel. I think I'm going to like this plan. At least I better. There's no turning back once the sparks start to fly!

Any way...

Here's what UPS brought me. Really a fan of this look and my plan for the truck will mimic this very much. So today's pop quiz question is...

From what vehicle did I get this dash?

49dashclean.jpg

It’s out of a 49!

Have you looked at the early Bronco all in one gauge? Hard to tell but it might fit that hole. Dakota makes a nice one for the Bronco

Winner winner chicken dinner! '49 Ford full size sedan.

Dakota makes a RTX model for the '49. I really like the look of the 49 dash and knowing I could get the RTX for it sealed the deal. Plus, I talked to Dakota and they can make me a matching boost gauge that will fit in the old center clock hole. While the RTX can show lots of other data like boost and AFR in the LCD portion of the gauge I really like the idea of a separate gauge. I don't need a clock but I wanted the second hole to break up the symmetry of the whole thing.

Here's the gauge (I will not being using yellow for backlighting!)
Digital 49.jpgdigital 49 detail.jpg

Dakota really makes some nice looking gauges! That will look sharp.

As to the guess, I may have cheated. On Tapatalk it showed the file name!

Dakota really makes some nice looking gauges! That will look sharp.
They have come a long way since their original electronic alarm clock looking stuff. The design of my truck is very much early hot rod blended with modern tech. Using Dakota components seems a natural. It's a real bonus that they make great looking gauges and they are willing to even make custom faces/graphics.

Let's keep the guessing games going. Thanks to Ken's honesty, I now know to be careful with how I title my pic files so this one will be a bit harder. Had a truck roll up this morning with this. So...

What's in the box? (the firewall piece on top is not a clue, just used it to hide potential distinguishing printing on the box).

mysterybox.jpg

A blank box...that is all we get?

It is heavy, based on the way the box is taped and strapped. Considering the size and shape, I am going with transmission!

I gave you clues as to the box size with the knife and firewall piece on top. Not to mention the dolly behind it. The box is 2' x 2' x 5' long. And obviously, since it's in my truck build thread, it is for the truck.

No, it's not a transmission

Let's keep the guessing games going. Thanks to Ken's honesty, I now know to be careful with how I title my pic files so this one will be a bit harder. Had a truck roll up this morning with this. So...

What's in the box? (the firewall piece on top is not a clue, just used it to hide potential distinguishing printing on the box).

View attachment 33921

Your coffin. SWMBO finally has had enough of your over top purchases.

Mark

You guys sure give up easy. A guy tries to keep things active around here and this is the result. Crickets.

No fenders. Moonroof, huh? Have to think about that one. Maybe T-tops! Can't believe Mr. Purple mustang is giving me crap. And I did work all day but I'm back chained to the desk again for the latest round of COVID shutdowns so keeping the Fix open is kinda easy.

Back