• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'65 Fastback Build--Reassembly

I got the flywheel, clutch, and starter installed with no issues. The clutch is a Ram Powergrip good to 550HP, unfortunately it's pink. There was a note in the box saying their dye lot had been screwed up...yeah thanks. If all goes well, I'll have this thing installed next week.

uhy5ubyq.jpg

yhe9uvuj.jpg

u4a4ugyj.jpg

eqabajev.jpg

Ryan just tell everyone it's a Zoom clutch and their color contrast is off! LOL

Keep up the good work bro!! :thum

No one has to know about your pink clutch except us . . . actually its not that bad. Kinda looks like a Zoom product.

My Dad came over and helped install the engine. It went in pretty easy overall. Transmission is in too, but I did have to cut about 3/4" forward of the shifter hole for clearance. The only real issue is the headers are jammed into the shock towers on both sides. I need to lift the engine 1/4"-1/2" to gain clearance. I'm thinking of shimming the motor mounts up. I have the Ron Morris adjustable mounts, but they aren't adjustable vertically.

amu9u8u4.jpg

u9y9u6y2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How are you going to be on hood clearance? I've seen quite a few 351 block installs that left little to no room even once a drop-base air cleaner was installed. It appears from the pictures you will be alright but you might want to measure that up before deciding to shim up the engine. You can relieve the two outer humps on the towers a bit for added room. Cut 'em flat and weld in a patch plate to gain a half inch or so either side.

"Horseplay" said:
How are you going to be on hood clearance? I've seen quite a few 351 block installs that left little to no room even once a drop-base air cleaner was installed. It appears from the pictures you will be alright but you might want to measure that up before deciding to shim up the engine. You can relieve the two outer humps on the towers a bit for added room. Cut 'em flat and weld in a patch plate to gain a half inch or so either side.

Hood clearance will be tight, no doubt. The driver's side header is also hitting the steering box. Also the oil pan has a paper thin gap to the crossmember. I won't be cutting the towers, so I ordered some 1/4" and 3/8" thick billet spacers to try out. I have the standard height motor mount plates, but I'm thinking they still might be lower than stock. Worst case scenario, I'll go to a Torker II, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

May I also suggest you consider installing a glass hood with a BIG scoop !!
:whis

You had to notch the shifter opening? Is your trans support slotted as well as your motor mounts?

"Mach1Mark" said:
You had to notch the shifter opening? Is your trans support slotted as well as your motor mounts?

I did, roughly 3/4". Yes, they are both slotted, but with the header and oil pan clearance issues, there is no way the engine will currently slide aft. Maybe once I shim it. I'm glad I went with the short water pump too, as the pulley to elec fan gap is about an inch. No way a standard pump would have fit.

Thanks guys!

I decided against shimming the motor up for clearance. I cannot give up what little hood clearance I have. Instead I dented the 3 header tubes that were issues. It didn't take much, but now I have what I need. Radiator is in, I just need to figure out hoses.

4ezagy7a.jpg

y6aby3ud.jpg

gube9eva.jpg

After almost 10 years to the day, she came to life today. I was pretty nervous, and hoping it'd fire right up, which it did. My fuel pressure regulator was leaking gas bad, so I had to temporarily pull it out. That's why you see the fuel line where it is. The transmission won't go into gear, so I'm hoping it's just a clutch adjustment. I also noticed a small oil leak, so I need to track that down. Overall though, great day, and nothing major went wrong. Here's the video, although not of the first start.

Wooow , I see alot of $$$$$ watching that car.

Very very nice and cool car you have !!! :cool::cool:

But .....there is always a but .....Your fuelfilter setup bathers me although you have an electrical cooling setup.

Whats that digital thing on the dash !!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

To remind you and all stangfixers ... digital is NOT classic !!

Hope I didn't offend you. ;)

Fantastic Ryan!!! Now you have two more missions; 1) finish assembly and 2) get some road miles on it to shake out any bugs. Other than the obvious reasons, why? Because we expect to see you in it next year at MBB!!! Great job!!
index.php

Back