• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'65 Fastback Build--Reassembly

Finally brought the '65 to our new house and her new garage. It's a 28'x11' area in the basement with a garage door. Not quite long enough for two cars, but plenty of space for one and tools. I picked up a new workbench and tool box too.

3fea8002-fa05-5510.jpg

3fea8002-fa1e-57ea.jpg

3fea8002-fa3f-ce2c.jpg

3fea8002-fa80-0ceb.jpg

3fea8002-fa90-5237.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a nice workspace Ryan and the backyard is nice and woodsie. What city did you end up in?

The wife and i were just cruising a different local city yesterday and looking at houses on a lake with loads of trees and dreaming. Our house only has the 8 trees I planted after moving in so I'm just waiting for them to grow...
Jon

Thanks Jon, we got lucky and didn't have to compromise. We now live in Acworth in a golf course neighborhood. Our lot is .54 acres, has a creek, woods, and very private. We love it, especially coming from a slab in a cookie cutter neighborhood with 3 trees. My wife loves that now she gets a garage stall too!

Finally found some time to play in the garage. I installed the steering column and wheel, mostly finished up the dash and gauges, and put the majority of the sound deadener down. The entire floor and firewall is covered in Second Skin Damplifier. I decided against a factory style firewall mat, and instead used SS Heatwave Pro from where the firewall meets the cowl down to the seat risers. I do have a bit left over, so I'll probably do the rear floor pans too. I laid the carpet down to check the fit, and it started really looking like a car inside. FYI, I'm now into the 8th year of this project.

pena9u7u.jpg

yse3e8eb.jpg

9ebyba6u.jpg

"Horseplay" said:
Thanks. I feel a whole lot better now.

Car is coming along...

Yeah,but Ryan's actually getting something done on his ride :nut

I spent a few more hours today on the '65.

Ordered new bumpers from NPD, and got the rear installed. Fits pretty good for a repo. Also installed new gas tank, filler tube, and cap. The carpet is basically done and I test fitted the kick panels and scuff plates. Seats are just about ready to go in too. Making progress, slow, but it's something.

tasudujy.jpg

y2umudas.jpg

emyratyq.jpg

This thread is way overdue an update, and after winning project COTM, I owe y'all that. Thank you again. I was really shooting for an April 17, 2014 completion, but see now that won't happen. I just want to drive it this year, before it gets cold again. That is a realistic goal I can live with.

I installed the glass and stainless myself. Not a hard job, but the bedding compound is really messy. The original rear glass fit nice and tight. The repro front glass didn't fit quite as nice, so fingers crossed for a waterproof seal.

a8ujuda3.jpg

a3e8ynuv.jpg

I'm getting close on finishing the interior. I installed the MTF headliner, finished up the 3 pt seat belts, and am currently working on the fiberglass trim panels.

8a4umy7u.jpg

6y8etupu.jpg

sunu6yqe.jpg

Shot of the back.

9avybegu.jpg

The 408W finally showed up, and I wasted no time mocking it up and making sure everything was right.

a2usa3et.jpg

I checked PTV clearance, which I had plenty. Had to convert a hydraulic lifter to solid to make sure it didn't collapse during the check.

aqajy7eb.jpg

a9u3azyq.jpg

Fitted a universal Griffin cross flow radiator with 2x 1.25 tubes. Hoping it's enough for the Windsor. Knowing electric fan to water pump clearance would be tight, I opted to run the short street rod water pump which gives me an extra 1.5" of clearance. CVF supplied the pulleys and brackets which fit great and their customer service is awesome.

y5uravat.jpg

a8yha5y8.jpg

Thermostat works.

tege5a7y.jpg

As far as the engine goes, I'm hoping for at least 500hp, a real nice torque curve, without having to spin it over 6000. Street manners over max performance. Carb is a Holley 750 street HP, cam is a relatively mild hydraulic roller, and headers are JBA stainless mid-length.

3ebe9a7y.jpg

yzezy4yh.jpg

uvu5urap.jpg

More to come in the near future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AWESOME progress, Ryan !! Thanks for the new source for serp belt system ! Ive got a long list of suppliers and have been afraid to order as all are MUCH more $$$ than CVF (never heard of them).

So thats what my headers are going to look like . . . sweet !! Your headliner install looks a LOT smoother than mine. Good for you. Love the cruisercrap wheel, cant wait to bolt mine on my coupe. How many rows is your radiator? Very similar to what I plan to install.

That Ford Stroker 408 will make that pony KICK !!! With the piston dish whats your expected compression ratio? Should run well pump premium too.

progress looks great! Did you finish installing all the back fiberglass panels? If not I would love a few pictures showing where all the brackets go. My fastback came with no brackets, I found a set, just don't know their proper homes.

Also, how did the headliner go in, any troubles? I have one in my garage that is going in next week!

thanks

Thanks Mark. As nice as the headliner is, it wasn't fun installing it. The radiator is 2 rows of 1.25" tubes. I've calculated approximately 10:1 compression. The pistons are 22cc dish and the heads are 61cc.

Kb3, I have most but not all the fiberglass panels installed. I might have some old pics of the brackets, let me look. The headliner wasn't a fun install. It's not difficult, just time consuming and frustrating at times. I did it solo, but highly recommend a helper if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I appreciate any and all photos. My son will be home for college next week so he will help me with the headliner. Any pointers? Did you have to trim it at all?

The Osborne Interior Assembly Manual shows all of those brackets and where they go; I used that to install my interior panels.

Back