• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'65 Fastback Build--Reassembly

Fitted in my panhard rod. I got it lined up in position, but can't find my damn welding helmet, so I had to put that on the back burner for now.

IMG_0082.jpg

Started working on the front suspension. I've got the uppers and lowers in. For some stupid reason TCP powdercoated them blue. Not a big fan of that.

IMG_0084-1.jpg

Picture of the car as it sits today:

FB-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It sucks but you cannot put those blue arms on your car. Get them over to a powdercoater and change that color. It will bother you forever if you don't.

Maybe it's the angle of the pic, but you sure the panhard bar is in the right spot?

"silverblueBP" said:
Maybe it's the angle of the pic, but you sure the panhard bar is in the right spot?

I was kind of questioning that too. Also, I am not familiar with that particular brand either - but does it slide Up/Down on that driver side bracket? Not a fixed mount?

Car is looking awesome too!

"silverblueBP" said:

It does look weird in that pic. No, it's right on, just like yours...errr. actually it's laying on the floor now because somebody stole (I most likely put it somewhere, now I can't find it) my welding helmet. Here's a side view:

IMG_0080.jpg

"70_Fastback" said:
I was kind of questioning that too. Also, I am not familiar with that particular brand either - but does it slide Up/Down on that driver side bracket? Not a fixed mount?

Car is looking awesome too!

Thanks Jeremy. Look at :Mark 's picture. The black triangular piece is fixed, and the alum rod attaches to that on the driver's side and the rear axle mount on the pass side. My picture doesn't have the alum bar in.

"Horseplay" said:
It sucks but you cannot put those blue arms on your car. Get them over to a powdercoater and change that color. It will bother you forever if you don't.

That was TCP's trademark color for years. What really pisses me off is that they just changed their parts to gray. I'm not having them redone; once everything is on, you'll barely see them.

UCA-01-SVH_AT.jpg

"monkeystash" said:
It does look weird in that pic. No, it's right on, just like yours...errr. actually it's laying on the floor now because somebody stole (I most likely put it somewhere, now I can't find it) my welding helmet. Here's a side view:

IMG_0080.jpg

Thanks Jeremy. Look at :Mark 's picture. The black triangular piece is fixed, and the alum rod attaches to that on the driver's side and the rear axle mount on the pass side. My picture doesn't have the alum bar in.

Looks dang close to where mine is mounted.

100_0002.jpg

"monkeystash" said:
That was TCP's trademark color for years. What really pisses me off is that they just changed their parts to gray. I'm not having them redone; once everything is on, you'll barely see them.

Agreed. You'll never really see them.

"monkeystash" said:

And that hammertone silver finish is what I am contemplating finished the rat rod frame as...

Today I assembled most of the front suspension. Still need to pop in the coils and shocks, but should have it rolling soon. I also welded in the panhard rod bracket. Still need to bolt in the rear shocks too. Couple pics:

53-120511180227-81041541.jpeg
53-120511180159-8102409.jpeg
53-120511180213-81032372.jpeg

Yer on the home stretch! It's cool to see your project start looking like a real Mustang again.

Nice Job... enjoy!

"monkeystash" said:
Had a few extra hours today, so I fit my TCP export brace in. It's a bit too Foose for my taste, but a nice, solid piece none-the-less. I might get it powdercoated black, so it doesn't stick out so bad.

Next, I bolted up the lower crossmember. This one also connects to the LCA for more rigidity. You can see the supplied spacer sandwiched between the crossmember and LCA mount. Pretty cool idea IMO.

53-300111165943-72282427.jpeg

I agree on PC'ing the TCP stuff to make it blend in, I did the same with my GW export brace as I like the way it worked and ease of removal for engine access but PC'd it black to match the engine bay.

Who makes that lower crossmember? I want to add that eventually.
Really coming along, looks great, gives me some steam on mine to see your progress.
Jon

Thanks guys, the progress does feel good. Once it rolls on 4 wheels, that'll be a nice milestone.

"Jonk67" said:
Who makes that lower crossmember? I want to add that eventually.

Jon, I bought it from Cobra Automotive. Delta Bay Mustang also now makes one, and it is less expensive.

A few more updates:

Flaming river spear-o-matic installed.

steeringbox.jpg

Passenger door latch with new rods, lock, and door handle installed. Works like it should.

IMG_0171-1.jpg
IMG_0173.jpg

Door and quarter innards coated with a ceramic sound deadener. It's called Hy-Tech SC#1000, comparable to Lizard Skin. http://www.hytechsales.com/prodsc.html

IMG_0167-1.jpg

Back