• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'65 Fastback Build--Reassembly

Just the other day I was wonderin' how you were coming along! Interesting info on the sound deadener. I had considered using Lizard Skin, but now I'm rethinking that! Keep up the good work!

Ryan, your car is coming along great. Keep up the good work! Are ya comin to the beach anytime soon?

"beach pony" said:
Ryan, your car is coming along great. Keep up the good work! Are ya comin to the beach anytime soon?

Thanks Ron! I will call you if I ever have any time there, I promise!

I take it you bought a gallon of the SC#1000, how much did you use to do the doors/rear panels? 1 coat or 2?
Did you spray or roll it? I may go this route instead of the LS sheets I have for the floor/ roof.

Looking great, I'll have to do this after my rust spots are fixed in my doors but like to plan ahead.
Jon

"Jonk67" said:
I take it you bought a gallon of the SC#1000, how much did you use to do the doors/rear panels? 1 coat or 2?
Did you spray or roll it? I may go this route instead of the LS sheets I have for the floor/ roof.

Looking great, I'll have to do this after my rust spots are fixed in my doors but like to plan ahead.
Jon

Jon,

I brushed it on, 2 coats. 1 gallon could do several cars; I barely used any.

Great progress! I'm close to the same on mine except my engine/trans is sitting in there already. I just wish SWMBO would let me work on it more.

If you don't have an insulation plan for the floor yet, check out KoolMat.com. We use it in all of our high end street rods we build. I'm lining my fastback from the top of the firewall to the rear seat area with it. It really helps keep any heat out of the car.

Doug

Ryan,

I am sure you talked about this somewhere, but what ever ended up happening with the roof issue? As I recall it looked "sunk in" and you were going to try a few things, but I never heard the results.

Just got to thinking about it the other day and wondered what ended up happening.

Other than that MAN it's coming together good. I've got to get over to see it (or better yet, help out if you need a hand with anything)

Steve

"AtlantaSteve" said:
Ryan,

I am sure you talked about this somewhere, but what ever ended up happening with the roof issue? As I recall it looked "sunk in" and you were going to try a few things, but I never heard the results.

Just got to thinking about it the other day and wondered what ended up happening.

Other than that MAN it's coming together good. I've got to get over to see it (or better yet, help out if you need a hand with anything)

Steve

Thanks Steve, I really wish I had more progress to post. As for the roof, the guy I hired pounded on it some, then put a skim coat over it, and it was done. It took him about a half day.

"70_Fastback" said:
Knock, knock, knock... any update...?

:nut

Unfortunately no. We are in the process of moving, and every spare moment I've had has been put into the house. I did get the garage really clean and in order...maybe that counts, lol.

"monkeystash" said:
Unfortunately no. We are in the process of moving, and every spare moment I've had has been put into the house. I did get the garage really clean and in order...maybe that counts, lol.

Moving? where to? Need any help?

To sunny SoCal? Or best weather in the world NorCal?

Best wishes Ryan, hope the move goes smoothly. Having only moved a apartment worth of stuff, I couldn't imagine moving a house worth.

"AtlantaSteve" said:
Moving? where to? Need any help?

Yeah, I doubt we'll ever see really nice houses this cheap again (and interest rates), so we decided to take advantage of the market and upgrade. It will be local, somewhere between Marietta and Acworth. We will take a hefty loss on our current home, but should make up for it and more on the next one. Hope to have the house on the market within a few weeks.

Thanks for the offer to help Steve, but I could never ask a friend to help move. I absolutely despise moving and could never ask a friend to share in the misery.

Thanks Abe!

Finally an update after 5 months.

Installed 40 sqft of Second Skin Damplifier on the roof, firewall, and floorpans. I ran out at the seat pans and have to order more.

a2.jpg

cowl2.jpg

roof1.jpg

Installed Mustang Steve clutch cable firewall brace.

cable1.jpg

I got most of my brake lines and hoses installed, rear Bilsteins, filled the differential and hooked up the differential vent.

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a4.jpg

a3.jpg

a1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a little update from the last few months. We moved into our new house mid February and the car received no love for a while. In fact, it's still not at the house yet, but it has it's own 28'x11' garage waiting. I hope to bring it over within the next week or so. I have been able to work on it a little and here's some pics:

Heater box rebuilt and installed.

ada6cd29-75cb-2f04.jpg

Brakes completely installed, bled, and leak free. ATE Super Blue fluid used.

ada6cd29-764e-dd1a.jpg

ada6cd29-76ce-bdd7.jpg

ada6cd29-76ee-91a0.jpg

Painted the last of the interior fiberglass.

ada6cd29-7715-7653.jpg

ada6cd29-7748-b417.jpg

ada6cd29-7756-6eb5.jpg

Tested the gauges, repainted the needles, reset the odometer to 0.

ada6cd29-77f7-810c.jpg

ada6cd29-7820-0b78.jpg

ada6cd29-7847-4d0a.jpg

ada6cd29-785b-49db.jpg

ada6cd29-7874-876b.jpg

Reset one of the Sun-X vent glass into the frame. I used the rubberized glass bedding tape; what a PITA to get it in there tight.

ada6cd29-79a4-6211.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You do great work, Ryan. How soon do you think you will be driving your new fastback?

I bought a bunch of stick-n-peel sound deadener for my car that looks like the kind you used. Got a really good deal too.

"Mach1Mark" said:
You do great work, Ryan. How soon do you think you will be driving your new fastback?

I bought a bunch of stick-n-peel sound deadener for my car that looks like the kind you used. Got a really good deal too.

I'd like to say next summer, but I've said that a lot. I am seeing the light though, although I really need to see more green. I'm just really happy to see it coming together, and completing little things here and there. It's going on 7.5 years now.

"monkeystash" said:
Reset one of the Sun-X vent glass into the frame. I used the rubberized glass bedding tape; what a PITA to get it in there tight.

Looks great... Did you soak the bedding tape with soapy water prior to installation? That eases the install a lot...

"stangg" said:
Looks great... Did you soak the bedding tape with soapy water prior to installation? That eases the install a lot...

I used glass cleaner. I'll try soapy water on the other side, thanks. The problem was in the bend where the material bunches up. I just kept trimming that area as I worked the glass in.

Back