• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'66FB GT "Slick Guzzo" Upgrade Build-Up

Re: '66FB GT Upgrade Build-Up

just got the RH rear frame rail extension and it looks flimsy! made in Taiwan primed in black. is this the norm??

EDIT: i also got a left 2-piece front frame rail extension, which is not primed and is thicker steel. WTF?

Now, this idler arm from the driver side can't come off with the banging from the 4# hammer. Do I keep banging?

"hivewax" said:
Now, this idler arm from the driver side can't come off with the banging from the 4# hammer. Do I keep banging?

What's it hanging up on? The spindle? The drag link? Have you tried a pickle fork? You do have the castle nut removed, right?

Idler arm that is connected to the steering box grooved bolt. I took the nut off. The other end come off after banging many times when I was swearing.

Ahhh...that's the pitman arm. Yup...gotta get a pitman arm puller. That nut that secures the idler arm to it is torqued to like 90 ft-lbs. That is what you're talking about? There should be a ball joint on the idler arm itself that attaches to the pitman arm...that should only take a pickle fork to remove.

ah, yes, it's the pitman arm, which i cannot remove from the steering worm shaft. i have the center link removed from both the idler arm and pitman arm. sorry 'bout that, i should of looked in the manual first. thanx for the help.

removed the gas tank. it had that tough gray weld sealant all way around. we had to push up with a floor jack using a chisel at the corners of the tank underneath the car.

EDIT: i think you're suppose to use 3M body sealant black tar caulking.

today, removed almost all the tar crude undercoating from the gas tank using a scrapper, gasoline, & elbow grease. going to POR15 it before tackling the undercarriage bit by bit.

removed trunk floor and partially rusted frame rail and the new replacement installed. i might reinforce with plate at the frame rail connection. any suggestions?

EDIT: reinforce where the old and new frame rail join.

using an angle grind with wire wheel to take the undercoating off from underneath. it's very time consuming. i think a media blaster will be messy in the garage. is there some kind on chemical i can use to just brush on, let sit, and scrap off rather easily... or just stick with the wire wheel??

You could give Aircraft Stripper a try, I used it on my 66 many years ago to strip the paint off, never tried it on undercoating though.

It's very nasty stuff!

Ahhh...I know the perfect stuff, and it's reasonably cheap. Gasoline! Yes, gas. Simply dip a rag into gas, and start applying elbow grease. The great thing about gas is that it doesn't leave a residue, and it doesn't take paint off in this manner.

The downsides: please do this in a well-ventilated area. With 8+ hours of rubbing, you may find your skin is slightly dry. I wiped Midlife's entire undercoating off in about 9 months, with 5-6 hours per weekend day, finding all the original paint intact. I also found several aluminum patch panels riveted in.

Kerosene will also work, but it is more expensive than gas.

pretty happy that i'm doing this in my garage and not paying a shop. how much you think i saved in just replacing the partial trunk floor and rear frame rail? at least $1000. :cool

just had the sliders installed and still stripping the undercarriage from the rear wheel-well to back.

EDIT: aircraft stripper seems scary, so i'm using gas.

I still can't believe you're doing all these cool mods and won't be taking it to the track :crazy

"hivewax" said:
the track, i'm not worthy... still need to know engine mechanics.

Everyone is worthy of track time....even Duane. Mechanics are easy, put gas in car, start, go fast as it will go, brake, turn, go as fast as it will go....rinse & repeat :nice

"silverblueBP" said:
Everyone is worthy of track time....even Duane. Mechanics are easy, put gas in car, start, go fast as it will go, brake, turn, FOLLOW THE PT CRUZER as it goes faster then you can go....rinse & repeat :nice

Fixed it for you! :rofl :boo :pep

WTG :dumas

hijack.gif

POR15 is a pain in the ass... clean, metal etch, inhibitor 2x, topcoat 2x! got most of it done before the new leaf springs, rear-end, rear brakes, under-rider bars + rear shocks are installed.

thread-hijack all you want... :pop

Back