• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'66FB GT "Slick Guzzo" Upgrade Build-Up

Re: '66FB GT Upgrade Build-Up

Are you grinding this off so you can get a socket on the nut or to try and eliminate the leak? I would just use a wrench and tighten the down before I went to grinding on the nice aluminum housing.

yes, i want an easier access to those 2 studs, so i can take off the lock washers and either add plumber's tape or thread sealer or use nylon lock nut (nilock nut).

rear SSBC disc brake caliper is hitting the ridge of the rim...

anyone ground down a caliper to clear rims before?

Attachments

• IMG_5234b.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_5237b.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_5238b.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_5240b.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 152

anyone ground down a caliper to clear rims before?

I haven't, but many others have. You're using 15" wheels with those big brakes? Didn't SSBC state that 15" wheels would be too small for that kit?

Those are some mighty pretty calipers to start grinding away on...... how much material would need to be removed in order to provide the necessary clearance?

got the SSBC rear kit thru Cobra Auto, so i'll be talking to them about either changing the caliper or changing the whole setup. if i were to grind it, i'd say maybe shaving off 1/4". they are nice... match the wheels.

i'm surprised no one told me to shorten the studs! i was really thinking about grinding at that alum center section.

fixed the leak!

shortened the 2 studs with a cutoff wheel... removed both the lock washers and end washers. added only copper washers.

put in almost 3-quart bottles of Joe Gibbs 75W-110 synthetic... spilled a little. oil level is not even close to the fill hole.

do i add more 'til it reached the hole or am i okay with just ~3-quarts? TIA

Ya fill it up to the bottom of the fill-up hole so it just begins to dribbles out.

that's what i thought... just bought a pack of 12 and free shipping... ain't internet grand. :lol

I will have to return the whole SSBC rear brake kit to Cobra Auto. They said I might be charged for putting the brakes on because it cannot be returned once it's bolted on. I heard that for wheels. I didn't select the brakes. They did. And, they knew I was buying PSE 2-piece 15" wheels. Has anyone experienced this situation or other??

got the 12 pack of gear oil from Amazon and got a 20% discount... one quart was leaking due to bad packaging and i called it in. pretty good service!

i returned the rear brake kit and will be getting a SSBC 10.5" rotor kit and some money back.

SSBC 10.5" kit fits... for $750, i think they look cheaper than that... not too pretty either when compared to Wilwood kits... more like generic. oh well, i'm stuck with them. i didn't put the splash shield on... looks ugly. the calipers are positioned in the 10 o'clock position, but i need more slack in the parking cables to connect to the lever.

i also painted the rear axle flanges with VHT epoxy black... they were rusting!

now, to finalize... install dual bowl and adj proportional valve, bleed the brakes, alignment, then bed the brakes. wish me luck.

workin' on getting the adj proportioning valve inside by the driver seat trans-tunnel... bought brake lines from NAPA. tips/tricks are appreciated.

Seems like one of these, drill a hole, install lines...Bamo, presto adjustment knob in the cabin...

555-63020.jpg

close, but it's a WILWOOD (looks much better)... and, i'll have to tear up the faded black carpet.

Attachments

• wilwood-apv.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 77

Pretty much a straight forward job. I plumbed my lines and mounted my lever adj prop valve next to my seat, not very complicated.

I don't understand why you'd want to plumb the prop valve into the passenger compartment. Once the valve is adjusted properly..... you'll never touch it again. It's not a line lock that would require ocasional activation. Mount the prop valve out near the master cylinder like 99.9% of the other users to avoid the headaches of plumbing it into the cabin.

I'm sure it needs to be adjusted if the rear discs get hot or fade due to weather... Just like on the track. And, yes, I like more clutter in the compartment.

Back