• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67 GT 390 Fastback

I am sure this happens all the time, install new parts during a build and it takes a few years to complete the project. Then finally get to the end and find out that new parts are bad out of the box and out of warranty.

My car is still in the shop, the brake booster has been sent out to get rebuilt twice and it's still not right. So, I drove to West Coast Cougar and picked up a different booster, they actually had one in stock. I dropped it off at the shop and when we opened it up it was missing the plunger rod that attaches to the brake pedal.

I picked up a new rod from the shop that rebuilt the booster. It went in without any issues.

They got the car back to me yesterday and I drove it around town for a while. The brakes do not feel as good as I was hoping. It stops a lot better than it did but, I don't like the feel.

It was a really nice day yesterday, about 79. I put about 9 miles on the car in stop and go traffic and it was running really hot. It did not over heat but it was running hot. It's idling a little high as well and I am wondering if the timing needs to be adjusted again.

I jumped on the hi way and got it up to 60 then jumped off at the next exit about 1/2 mile later. It was still running hot at speed. The chassis seemed okay, there were no vibrations, nothing fell off, or obnoxious rattles. It does run at 3500 rpms at 60 though. New butt gears might be in my future, the car seems like it is geared too high.

3500 @ 60? OMG! and here I complain when I'm running 2200 @ 70. What size gears in back?

It ain't cheap but I've got one word GearVendors, ok maybe that's two words. That would drop you down to 2500. I am guessing you have a 3.5 rear. I have a 3.25 and with Gear Vendors I am at 2500 at 70. It's damn near perfect!

I stand corrected, I drove the car for a couple of miles at 60 today and was right at 2500 rpms

I read that post you guys made about the gear vendors, that looks like a really cool product.

I was a little thrown off with the look of the button on the shifter but, I read about wiring it to the high beam switch.

I am not sure what gears are in the rear end, I do have an educated guess though. I figured out a while ago (after it was installed) it's not the original 3.25 equalock rear end. I found a tag in the buckets of spare parts that came with the car for a rear end that came out of a Bronco with 4:11

So, I do not think I will be doing much freeway driving until I figure out something else and the thing is running hot in town.

It only takes 5 minutes to figure out what gears you have back there. Sounds like a good weekend project.

"GTchris" said:
I stand corrected, I drove the car for a couple of miles at 60 today and was right at 2500 rpms

I read that post you guys made about the gear vendors, that looks like a really cool product.

I was a little thrown off with the look of the button on the shifter but, I read about wiring it to the high beam switch.

I am not sure what gears are in the rear end, I do have an educated guess though. I figured out a while ago (after it was installed) it's not the original 3.25 equalock rear end. I found a tag in the buckets of spare parts that came with the car for a rear end that came out of a Bronco with 4:11

So, I do not think I will be doing much freeway driving until I figure out something else and the thing is running hot in town.

With 225-60-15, 4th gear would put you right at 2600 @ 60 MPH with 3.25 gears. 4.11s would be just over 3200 RPM.

325-225-60.jpg

The problem with the high beam switch is that with a manual you want to depress the clutch and activate the GV OD. Just like a true shift. Kind of tricky if you ask me.

They have updated their shifters and now have a white ball like a hurst with a button. I have one and may install someday. I also have the billet ball which I don't like as much and should sell on ebay.

Got the exhaust tips welded on. They toned the sound down a bit. I drove it on the hiway back home from the shop and it did not sound too bad at speed.

uge4uvaq.jpg

Car goes to the body shop next week to finish up a few things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped by the body shop on the way home. They are not quite done. They got the stripe and rocker panel moldings on.

u9y7ybam.jpg

yhybanu9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason the car was running hot was a partially plugged radiator. I had to pull the radiator and take it to a shop and have it cleaned out. The car has been running great ever since. I have cruised it around town whenever I get a chance. I have about 500 miles on the car now.

I never posted finished pics of the car. I do not have any decent pictures of the interior, but it's pretty much done with the exception of a radio install. It hasn't bothered me all that much though as I really like to just hear the engine run.
9egute6e.jpg
mu8uju2e.jpg

Now that it's done I think I might sell it.

Chris, Your car turned out very nice. Good job. Hmmmmmm, a future COTM? :thum

Do you have a couple finished interior and trunk pics you can post?

No pics of my trunk for you Craig, sorry. There is nothing in the trunk, no junk, no spare tire. Nothing to see here, just move along. I haven't installed a carpet kit or anything. I know that I need to take some pics of the interior. Every time it's nice enough to take it out of the garage I'm too excited to just be able to drive it I don't think about pics.

Chris, I recently found this thread about your restoration and it has been very informative. Thank you for the documentation, car looks fantastic

Its funny, my 67 s code was also originally dark moss green/black interior. In 1974 my father repainted to what looks like a similar blue.

P8050138.JPG

Back