• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

70_Fastback: RAT ROD - 193x Ford / 1942 GMC Truck

Re: Got my next project. RAT ROD - '39(?) Ford Truck

Following that thread w brought back all the fun memories I had in high school dealing with my '45 Ford pickup. Gonna be fun finding the rest of that rig if you go that route....

Now you have to build one of these.
id_cckw353_full.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Is the bottom of the cab beat to s^#%? It looks like the USN truck has more body under the door than yours does..
26_23_11_09_7_19_49_1.JPG

attachment.php

"Fast68back" said:
I think you should paint it the same color as this one with that bomb picture sluggo had as his avatar on the doors.....
attachment.php

And put the snowplow back on it. Call traffic control :amaz

Rick, I do plan on staying with the same sea green color. I like it.

And Pete, no I am not going that route. It's going to be a ground dragging rat rod.

Do you have any military museums around you? I wonder if you found one that had a truck like that if it would have a ford dash in it as well.

Yeah Rick, that passenger side is beat in pretty good. It's there, just rolled under.

Being that most rat rods are made up of numerous brands of parts, someone just knew what you wanted and the cab came with the first mix done....will be good to watch for sure.

So....we could see a military bodied, snow plow attached Ford/Chevy rat rod sitting 1/2" off the ground...in flat GO...what a build.

I see another loud, nasty, mean build coming that will piss off the neighbors..................again :ecit

Ah Mark! Did I mention that same neighbor lady is due in like 4 or 5 weeks... so yeah, nap times will be in effect for sure in a couple of years.... :rp

COUPLE OF YEARS!!!!!!! You might get nick to loan you a driveway spot........

Based on the info you have here and from ford-trucks.com, you have:

1942 GMC cab

This is a model 1608 closed cab built by Yellow Truck & Coach, as ID'd by the "1608-55891" firewall plate posted several days ago. Mid or late 1942 seems right based on the serial #. Yours is about the date they changed from civilian gauges to military, which could explain the Ford gauges.
The cab was mounted on a 5-ton model CCW chassis. The CCW is like the more common CCKW, but lacked front wheel drive - used a straight axle instead. The CCW was a 5-ton, the CCKW was 2.5 ton. This would have had dual rear axles (both driven). As you found, the paint color would tend to indicate US Navy usage.

May have been a fuel truck, bomb transport, local transport, cargo or ?????

CCW353.jpg

Crossed with this one:
Military_Chevrolet_4x4_1.5_Ton_US_Navy_Cargo_Truck.jpg

Some further reading:
http://www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com/U_S_N_Vehicles_Page.htm
http://www.ww2dodge.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8
http://www.cckw.org/pdf/CCKW_Part_5.pdf
http://www.cckw.org

Yeah, for all intensive purposes I'm just calling it a "Ford"... it's easier that way - LoL.

That is way too cool! I think that history makes it even more neat. I like the Sluggo Bomb chic painted on it somewhere. A lot of rat rods mix the makes of the cab and grill. You could still have a 30's Ford grill and flathead engine. It will be cool to have a military theme, like bullet valve stem caps, hand grenade shifter knob, etc.! Great find!!! Thanks for sharing that thread and this build!
:craz
1939-rat-rod-pickup.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

"70_Fastback" said:
Wow, that bottom is it a little out there...

No joke. A little too Mad-Maxish for my tastes, but that's what's awesome about rat-rod projects...they can morph into whatever you want the car to be.

If I ever do a Rat-Rod I think I'm going to go insane with the interior...everything on the outside will be ratty and functional, but the interior will be pristine, maybe ivory, leather, electric seats with 18 different adjustments, cupholders galore, DVD/NAV radio, Tilt/Telescoping column, fancy steering wheel, top of the line Autometer gauges.

It would remind me of the old Chamelon XLE skit on SNL from years ago. Total beater outside, but luxurious interior inside, to try and keep people from stealing with it.

Most would probably think it's dumb (cause it is) but I have a weird sense of humor.

Back