• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

9" pumpkin

Typical for a 9 inch. That tapered end !!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Last edited:
New leafs and shackles and the back end doesn't clank and groan anymore.

The new diff arrives at the end of the week but don't know when I'm going to fit it, can you get touch up paint for the springs I wonder, Scott drake i assume?IMG_20211012_104527.jpgIMG_20211008_155706.jpgIMG_20211012_104517.jpgIMG_20211009_143930.jpg

Finally started to swop the diff out today, I've decided to change the axle bearings and seals, UK places want £40 / 45 each for a bearing so as I've got plenty to do I've got SKF ones coming from the US by next Friday for about £22 each, even UK bearing suppliers couldn't help me!
My garage was only just wide enough to get the half shafts out, I reckon if they were an inch longer I would have been in trouble!
Not the easiest lump to remove on your own, if only Bruno lived a bit nearer :)
IMG_20211027_171405.jpgIMG-20211028-WA0010.jpegIMG_20211028_115750.jpg

Right now I am of no use !!! But otherwise...anytime !

Thick black wire is connected to the battery. Other small wire is ignition 12v
Be sure your alternator has very good ground !! Iow ground the engine with a wire as thick as the black from the alternator. Thicker is even better.

I have MSD ignition and I use the original coil feed for the hood tacho, so if it's not a 3 wire set up and not a 1 wire set up what is it?
Off to the garage now to try and perfect my axle seal puller, I knew those old leaf springs would come in handy!
I would buy a tool but I've got so many " use only once or twice" tools I thought I'd give it a try.
I think it will be a screw either side of the seal and then use the slide hammer.
The split washer idea sort of works but not well enough, Ford marked seals so who knows how long they have been in there!

IMG_20211029_113235.jpgIMG_20211029_115830.jpg

Mk 2 didn't work but Mk 3 did.
Mine had metal gaskets between the brake back plate and the axle casing and I have replacement paper gaskets but are the metal ones a lot better?

IMG_20211029_142224.jpgIMG_20211029_152834.jpg

Didn't know about the metal gaskets . Thats new to me.
You have 2 kinds of paper gaskets. The one with the "bulb" comes on the side of the backing plate where the cilinder is attached to. The flange of the axle and backing plate should be very clean and smooth so the paper gasket can do its work.
Hopes this helps you.

That explains the two gaskets I've seen for sale, thanks.
These are the metal ones that were between the backing plate and axle flange.
I reckon the rust on the flange is off the metal gasket!!

IMG_20211030_101931.jpgIMG_20211030_102938.jpg

Those metal ones don't come between the axle flange and backing plate.!!!!

Its : axle flange - paper gasket - backing plate - paper gasket with "bulb/humb" - and last that metal gasket.
All aligned , bolts comes on the side of the axle and their nuts inside drum.

Hope this will help you out. But please check first on the net if I am right.

The backing plate comes between those paper gaskets.

Bruno’s right. No metal spacer/gasket between backing plate and axle flange.

Just the paper gaskets if you use anything.

Mark

I see so I assume the metal ones were some kind of "upgrade" that was fitted in the wrong position, unless they are for an earlier or later car?

Your metal gasket is in fact the Axle retainer plate shown in the pic I sent. It holds a paper gasket to the backing plate.

Back