• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

9" pumpkin

When installing a new diff I highly recommend a LubeLocker gasket. I think {.} said the same. Seals off both the machined surfaces and also the bolts, as I recall. Never had a leak issue.

That explains the two gaskets I've seen for sale, thanks.
These are the metal ones that were between the backing plate and axle flange.
I reckon the rust on the flange is off the metal gasket!!

View attachment 34063View attachment 34064
Regarding those metal seals/shims between housing and backplate. When I dissambled my WES-T 9inch rearend , I too noticed the presence of those metal seals !!! My 9 inch came of a 69 cougar .

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Regarding those metal seals/shims between housing and backplate. When I dissambled my WES-T 9inch rearend , I too noticed the presence of those metal seals !!! My 9 inch came of a 69 cougar .

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk
Bruno
As my drive train is a bit of a mongrel my 9" could be off a Cougar as well, I've done nearly 300 miles with the 3.50 ratio and it's much more fun to drive.
While I've got you, any thoughts on a set of headers for a 70 Cleveland, really difficult to get them anywhere now even from the states and the shipping and tax really doesn't help!
After 2 weeks of soaking the thread on the oil sender ( back of the block gauge type) and welding old wheel nuts onto cut off 14mm spanners to get a socket and bar on for more purchase I still couldn't move it and as I didn't want to damage the sender and I felt the flats starting to go a bit I decided to leave it until spring when I might do other things, anyway I thought one last tug and that was it, a little bit of movement and 30 mins later and it was off, just waiting on a tee piece now so I can have two senders.
How's the hip?

Cheers
Jeff

Back