• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Johnny M - E-car build tread

"HighOctane" said:
Wow, very nice work. Car looks amazing. I must say that your choice of wider striping pattern is awesome.

Yea...I hated not knowing how it would look on the car but now that it is done i am very happy with the colour and stripe......

the one disadvantage of the black is that you loose some of the bodylines of the car.....however this is something i can live with.

As expected there has been delays with the paint job...

We've had to respray the trunk and hood due to a tiny amount of the metallic glitter getting into the clear over the black. 9/10 people would never notice it but i was not be happy with it....We think it came off one of the walls in the booth.

Do you like my bolts and hinges?
IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,
Its been a hectic christmas and i didn't get as much as i wanted done on the car. Since my last post the colour sanding has been finished and the car looks great.

Anyways, I spent a big chunk of time reclaiming my workshop. Its took 2-3 days alone to blow, hoover, clean everything. Then i spent another day cleaning the inside of my car. That fine dust gets everywhere and a lot of it will not blow off. I also got offered a 20ft container with shelving for free from an old school friend, I set it beside my workshop for extra storage space. It makes a huge difference and it means i now have less clutter in the shop. I also got in some extra tables to lay out parts.

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

Some pics of the car.
DSC02817.jpg

DSC02819.jpg

DSC02811.jpg

DSC02814.jpg

DSC02820.jpg

So now that the colour sanding is finished assembly has started. I began my laying down the dynomat and insualtion kit. Surprisingly time consuming.
DSC02825.jpg

DSC02830.jpg

Any tips, tricks, advice on assembly will be greatly appreaciated.

Over and out for now...

P.S i have already put a small scrape on it. :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant

Last edited by a moderator:
"Johnny M" said:
P.S i have already put a small scrape on it. :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant

At least you got it out of the way, it makes the rest easier... Car is looking amazing!

"Fast68back" said:
At least you got it out of the way, it makes the rest easier... Car is looking amazing!

Yea....i think you are at more risk of doing it when you are being over cautious.....at least i am a bit more relaxed around the car. still careful but relaxed.

put tape on everything!
I dropped a wrench assembling mine and it bounced off the nose leaving a big chip. I tried to tape around anything and everything while putting mine together to prevent scratches.
Now it has so many I just touch up with a red sharpie marker :thu

"tarafied1" said:
put tape on everything!
I dropped a wrench assembling mine and it bounced off the nose leaving a big chip. I tried to tape around anything and everything while putting mine together to prevent scratches.
Now it has so many I just touch up with a red sharpie marker :thu

I plan to buy from foam sheeting and covering most of the car but have to wait a few more weeks before covering the fresh paint. I wish i could bubble wrap the whole thing right now....

"67 Fastback" said:
What black did you end up doing with. I really like it.
Bill

The Blackest Black I could find. I got 4 different blacks and tested them all in bright day light or with a UV light gun. In the end I went with Standox Jet Black(its the tinter they would normally use to mix other colours) and a silver/grey Metallic for the stripe.

After looking at a few cars and speaking to a few people it seems that using metallic will make it look dusty. I wanted a pure black deep shine.

Overall, I am delighted with it.

"67 Fastback" said:
That's the black that Jason suggested to me. What clear did you go with?
Bill

I used a high Solid Max Meyer laquer....I dont think it is sold in the USA. It would be considered a top of the range clear on this side of the pond.

Does Jason use Standox?

"Johnny M" said:
I used a high Solid Max Meyer laquer....I dont think it is sold in the USA. It would be considered a top of the range clear on this side of the pond.

Does Jason use Standox?
I think so. He told me the color on one of his cars was straight black no chaser and the flat black stripes were standox paint.

Bill

"Johnny M" said:

Does Jason use Standox?
I'm confused. I didn't think any clear-coat was lacquer-based...

Back