• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Johnny M - E-car build tread

You guys aren't easy to please..... :shrug

As always there has been delays with the car/kit etc but i wont go into the fiddly details...all I can say is that the finish on my car will be 100% and like glass!!!

Realistically she will not be painted for another 4 weeks...The two guys are away on holiday for two weeks next week but it'll be no harm to let the primer/spray filler sit for a few weeks before paint.

I wont post any pics until after paint. Sorry to disappoint but the pictures will not do the work justice!!!!

Watch this space.

"82firebird" said:
The car is looking great Johnny. Did you use gelcoat to smooth the underside of the unfinished hood? Also what headlights/buckets did you go with?

The guys used some sort of top coat gel that is used to finsh boats after FG repair. It still took a lot of sanding to get it right but it looks sweet now.

I used headlight buckets that i bought here in Ireland. They are a PITA...

This car would look great black with grey stripes!
Black with Silver Stripes :yah

Another Step closer

The majority of the body work is now done....THey still have fine sanding to do then add more primer and then wet sanding...Paint is getting very close!!!!

DSC02640.jpg

DSC02644.jpg

DSC02645.jpg

DSC02648.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"mustangstofear" said:
How long before you are ready for paint ?

Hello Rich,
Still another few weeks. the roof is yet to be finished, i gotta lower the car so the guys can work on it and I want to let the car sit for at least a week before the paint goes on.

I'm dying to see what this thing looks like! I'm going to ask a dumb question now, Why get the gaps perfect on all the body panels prior to paint? Aren't you going to have to do the same thing all over again after all the panels are done? Or is there some way to know exactly how everything was lined up?

If there is a bad gap somewhere, you want to be able to fix it before paint instead of complain about it forever.

Plus, you know it all fits.

Hey all,
The time has finally come. the booth is booked. She will be painted this thursday....... :yah

I have been busy doing all the standard small jobs in perparation of her coming back for assembly.

Heater Box rebuild
Upper Vent boxes rebuild
IMG_1302.jpg

Assess any parts that need to be rechromed
Keeping adding to the shopping list of small parts
Fold down seats rebuild
IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

Interior panels refurbishment

test run of the stripes i am going to go with
DSC02734.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"silverblueBP" said:
Good luck on the paint Johnny! Can't wait to see it in color.

Thanks Mark,
Ready through my last few posts i feel like the boy that cried wolf......But this time it is finally happening...

Back