• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Johnny M - E-car build tread

I wanted to lay the truck carpet before I installed the battery to save me taking everything out again at a later stage. Once I got started I decided to keep going. I haven't glued all section down yet but at least I have them all cut.

nyby3y3y.jpg

I also need to figure out what to do with the industrial looking fuel filler pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
"HighOctane" said:
Looking awesome Johnny. I too am having the same dilemma for a wiper switch. I want intermittent, and well, the stock 67 location is simply awkward and non intermittent friendly as far as I can tell? Your location is great for a non AC car, but may I suggest the option of perhaps the 69 bezel, or the 65-66 bezel and knob for a more OEM look?

69 Bezel, which may improve your view angle?
wipe69_zps0312325f.jpeg

I myself was thinking for my car to replace the ignition with the 65/66 knob and bezel which there is an intermittent switch for, and install a push start in the ashtray where the lighter is, hidden out of sight. Maybe that's a bit of a PITA though, dunno??

65-66 knob and bezel
wiper6_zps624628af.jpg

wipe_zpsae6ee750.jpg

Anyways, nice to see updates, and the car looks amazing!

Thanks,

Ideally I would like to remove the ash tray altogether and install a panel to mount the wiper switch but there is no way I am going to start cutting/welding/painting the dash at this stage.

I also thought about using the ash tray as a docking point for an iPod but most new stereos have gone Bluetooth streaming now.

I will do some more thinking on it but I might be able to remove the guts of the ashtray and permanently install the ash tray cover only and mount the switch on it. Not sure how solid I could make it though

That bezel idea is interesting...
Here is the setup with a 67 lights bezel which looks better than the first setup.
yda7ugug.jpg

I will try and get my hands on some other bezels that might make it look pretty enough.

I really like what John did with his, he cut and welded in a section with the headlight switch into the ash tray area. looks factory.
468-300313150127-109471810.jpeg

"tarafied1" said:
I really like what John did with his, he cut and welded in a section with the headlight switch into the ash tray area. looks factory.

Yea, I like that also but I really do not want to start cutting/welding/painting my dash again.

My new heater control panel arrived in and I holding off drilling a hole in it.

Love when shiney new parts arrive...all the way from Cali

"mustangstofear" said:
Johnny, this is what we make and install in our trunks.

Hello Rich,
Thanks for the pics. I considered boxing out the sides but i think the storage space will be handy. Depending on where i mount my amp i may cover the trap door.

I got some neater SS clamps and got the fuel filler pipe finished. Time to get the interior panels in now.

Here is how I mounted my amp with a similiar trunk surround as Rich's. You can see the amp on the left side. I made this myself.

IMG_5560.jpg

"Johnny M" said:
Hello Rich,
Thanks for the pics. I considered boxing out the sides but i think the storage space will be handy. Depending on where i mount my amp i may cover the trap door.

I got some neater SS clamps and got the fuel filler pipe finished. Time to get the interior panels in now.

We mount our amp behind the MTF panel which also has a plywood backer.

"Johnny M" said:
Yea, I like that also but I really do not want to start cutting/welding/painting my dash again.

My new heater control panel arrived in and I holding off drilling a hole in it.

Love when shiney new parts arrive...all the way from Cali

Johnny, Who did you buy that shifter bezel from? From a local guy here via Craigslist?

"cmayna" said:
Johnny, Who did you buy that shifter bezel from? From a local guy here via Craigslist?
Craig,
It was through Ebay and it says it is from San Jose, California, United States
Username: jrlayton and references JRL designs.

It is listed as "1965 65 MUSTANG SHIFTER BEZEL INTERIOR RIM KIT BILLET RESTOMOD" $55.00

I am very happy with the quality and finish.

I got the fuel filler finished up so I can move onto the interior panels

heju3y8u.jpg

ame2y5yg.jpg

u3uma6ep.jpg

zy2ypahu.jpg

Since I added the spoiler to the trunk the hinges are not up to the job. I am going to add a gas strut and possibly take the springs out of the original hinges. Not knowing the strength and stroke i need it was time to head for the junk yard. I found a good junk yard that let's you "help yourself" and you pay on the way out. Also got some rubber sleeves to test for the door looms. Not bad for $25 but I must remember to bring gloves me with the next time
mepy7uva.jpg

ty9ehe6y.jpg

Johnny, if you have the 68 hinges with the springs in them you can shorten the springs to give them more tensions. We do it all the time with the Dynacorn hinges, works real slick.

Your doing some very good work. Looking forward to seeing the finished car.

Back