• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

JohnPro-Official StangFix Fender Roller Tool Box update

I am ready for this now fitting my 315's under the rear. Can I use this while its making its Texas tour? I have FedEx acct and can ship to next in line

A great way to speed this along would be for people to schedule "rolling parties" (not THAT kind of rolling, Craig) for when the roller is in their neck of the woods. Get a few or several people together who need to use it. This would also help with the learning curve. I understand it goes a lot quicker after you do the first fender

Frank

Mike, what town are you in. Are you anywhere near Allen? PM me with your full address. If you are that ready and can do your car post haste, then yes.

I must stress the point that rolling the lip on a painted car is semi risky in developing cracks in the paint, mainly on the very lip. Some have done it without any cracks, whereas some have encounter them. But most of the cracks are not seen from the outside for it would be on the rolled lip that is tucked up inside the fender well.

I encourage everyone who is in line to do this to their car to study as much as possible before you get the tool. I also ask those who have used it to share their experiences.

I am about 20 miles south of Dallas. Allen is north of Dallas several miles or so. I commute to downtown daily so next Texas user could pickup from me at my office in downtown. I have heard some talk about applying a little heat to outer edge while rolling to make the paint more flexible. I plan to install wheel opening trim although I know I will probably have to trim the flange substantially as I did on my Cuda.

Attachments

• IMG_7442.JPG
    957 KB · Views: 100
He's in the Dallas area.

If it's going to be that close to me I'll make myself be ready for it. Depending on when it hits the bigD I may be able to just pick it up.

Dang, Richmond is darn near floating in the gulf!! And here I thought you were somewhat near Dallas.

Please forgive me, as I have kept the Official Stangfix Roller Tool all too long! I am, according to Craig, the Numbnuts in AZ, and I have the tool! I will post pictures of the tool, in use, in another thread. After fabricating the Aluminum Shipping Box for the Official Tool, I decided it wasn't worthy enough. Thanks to SAC69, I decided to make a dedication plate in honor of John Pro. I also took into consideration what Craig said, and since I never met JohnPro, I tried to honor both of his friends requests. So here is what I came up with:

P9034311.JPG

As Craig pointed out in another post, you ain't a welder until you can weld your name. Unfortunately, this was a learning experience and the first top, pictured above, warped like a taco, so I had to make a new top. But it was all practice! I made a new top and then plasma cut the letters, out of the old top, and welded them into the new one!

Craig sent me a PM, mentioning that he hoped the hinges I fabricated would hold up....got me thinking and off to Graingers I went. I bought an Aluminum Piano hinge, and welded it to the new top. I had to stitch weld it, since the hinge was so thin. It's hard to find all aluminum hinges so I ended up ordering a few, til I got the right hinge.

P9044324.JPG

Craig also mentioned that he thought it needed handles! Thanks Craig for the extra work! So I fabricated handles from 4 nails and some more 1/8" Aluminum.
P9044317.JPG

Then, after spending so much time working in the garage, my wife demanded that I sign the box, so I did...wow triple uno again!
P9054335.JPG

Finally, here is the finished project, thanks to Craig for the NEW Stangfix Stickers!
P9054339.JPG

P9054340.JPG

I'm sure John is rolling over in his grave yelling :wtf as we make all this fuss about his tool......

Thanks guys! Now, let's see how long it can fight off the OOPS, er, UPS man. I'll be shipping it out tomorrow so you Texans can have some fun.

"ZFORCE" said:
Now, let's see how long it can fight off the OOPS, er, UPS man.

Did you drop test it a few times to see how it holds up?

Here's Fedex guidelines for drop testing packages... it seems to me where the cargo is precious to many that you should verify that your container will hold up.
[pdf]http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/PKG_Testing_Under150Lbs.pdf[/pdf]

"Did you drop test it a few times to see how it holds up? "

No thanks, I'll leave it to the professionals. They usually test all my packages before I get them, like my new Miller 211, they dropped it so hard I had to take the cover off and bend the frame back. Besides, they get paid to drop and deliver them. I'm working for free here! :char

Personally, I think you would be better off packaging your aluminum box within a lightly padded cardboard box so that it doesn't get scratched and dented to hell. You did a nice job on the box, but let's face it... it's going to draw some attention by some a$$hole who will want give it his own toss test... In a cardboard box it's just another brown box to the shipping guy... find a box that is easily attainable at a UPS Store so if it does get damaged after a few transits at least it's easy to replace it.

I appreciate your point of view. To me it was practice welding on aluminum...but why make a plain box when you can spruce it up a bit? It was fun. I made it out of metal so it can take the abuse, made it out of aluminum because it's light weight. Wear is character, it saves the hassle of shipping and replacing a cardboard constantly and taping all the flaps, just lock it and ship it.

ZFORCE knows that I also have concerns about using that box to ship with "as is". It's going to draw attention, hopefully not the bad kind. Yes an outside shipping carton would be the wisest way to go, but let's see how it weathers heading to TX. It will be insured. If needed, I can always send another shipping box to where ever.

Zforce - ya did a good job. I wouldn't want to rebox my fab'd box either. I say stick a radioactive nuke sticker on that sucker and call it a day!

:sm_NTA

Back