• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kats Project

More parts arrived today! :yah I do believe I have everything now to repair the cowl. :confu Well except for sealant and something to coat the inside with.

4sba1j.jpg

Spot welds.. are so much fun!! About half way through. :hide

SpotWeld1.jpg

SpotWeld2.jpg

SpotWeld3.jpg

SpotWeld4.jpg

Kind of sucks because Gert is up pretty high off the ground and makes it difficult to reach some, and I'm a little hesitant to stand in the engine bay. I only went all the way through in a few spots. Not bad for never doing this before. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job! just one at a time eh! Maybe you could make some mini scaffolding or a step up around where you're working and in the engine area? sure don't want to slip and cut yourself on the rusty metal. Won't be long you'll have all them little buggers drilled out!

You are wearing eye protection, right? I was, with welding gloves on, and still got slivers of metal in my eyes. Had to go to the ER, get a tetanus shot (couldn't get them any way else...they were in short supply), eyes cleaned out, a stiff warning by Nurse Ratchet, and I was on my way home.

Use a couple of milk crates....if they hold my fat a** they will work for you. Available out the back door of most major grocery stores.......

"Midlife" said:
You are wearing eye protection, right? I was, with welding gloves on, and still got slivers of metal in my eyes. Had to go to the ER, get a tetanus shot (couldn't get them any way else...they were in short supply), eyes cleaned out, a stiff warning by Nurse Ratchet, and I was on my way home.

Eye protection, ear plugs, mask & gloves. :thu

I was able to get most out. Only have the ones around the window left. :yah

After 2 days of blood, sweat and lots of cursing....

683-090411164201-77941977.jpeg

683-090411164203-77951827.jpeg

Firewall got a little messed up. Couldn't really be helped. The rust was so bad, it pretty much crumbled when the cowl was removed. :hide The rest of the firewall looks good. Little bit of surface rust on the interior side, but nothing that can be cleaned up. The worst rust was on the lip where the cowl welds to it.

Now it's time to go have a nice margarita, and sit on my ass and watch my husband work on the Firebird. :thu

"Kats66Pny" said:
After 2 days of blood, sweat and lots of cursing....

683-090411164201-77941977.jpeg

683-090411164203-77951827.jpeg

Firewall got a little messed up. Couldn't really be helped. The rust was so bad, it pretty much crumbled when the cowl was removed. :hide The rest of the firewall looks good. Little bit of surface rust on the interior side, but nothing that can be cleaned up. The worst rust was on the lip where the cowl welds to it.

Now it's time to go have a nice margarita, and sit on my ass and watch my husband work on the Firebird. :thu

DAMN! I am impressed. :wor

These are the areas along the lip of the firewall that concern me.

106zcqq.jpg

2upblo2.jpg

Any suggestions how to fix the lip without replacing the entire firewall? Maybe weld on a patch? Like this. :confu

DSC00304.jpg

"Kats66Pny" said:
THAT'S IT! I knew I saw it done, but I couldn't remember where.

My dear.....you are way to young to have memory loss......just wait.....now....who are you? lol

Kat I'm lucky in the fact that my fastback is handy and (still!), disassembled. I'm using it to make the pattern off of for the firewall lip. Let me know and I can send you a pattern. I know you wanna get at it and that would mean a little delay. Happy to send it though.

There is a bow in it to fit the car. Relief cuts are needed to get the fit good. Look close at what you have left on the car and study the true shape. Not extremely difficult, but if not right, problems will show up during the rebuild.

Back